Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 November 2019

Time for a cuppa ... and a slice of low carb Chocolate and Almond Cake

I know some of us do enjoy a sweet treat from time to time, whereas others completely avoid them. I do allow myself the occasional low carb sweet/dessert treat, and today I thought - why not make time for a cuppa! It's tea for me, or coffee if you'd prefer, and of course low carb cake!


This simple and quick recipe for a low carb chocolate and almond cake is from Ewelina who writes: "You don’t need many ingredients and about 40 minutes to make a cake (including baking time). The cake is very chocolaty and light. If you are not afraid of extra calories and a little bit of sugar serve it with scoop of vanilla ice-cream."

Ewelina uses "Splenda as a sweetener and Menier dark chocolate in this recipe." She says, "if you would like to make this cake even lower in carbohydrates use pure Stevia leaf (you will need just a teaspoon or so) and chocolate that is lower in carbs than 30g."

"Ingredients:
Makes 12 pieces
7g Carbs per piece/slice

200g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Menier with 30g carbs per 100g chocolate)
50g chopped almonds (I used flaked almonds as you can see on the picture but it worked fine)
115g butter, cut into small pieces
6 eggs, separated
Equivalent of 180 g sugar (I used 18g Splenda*)
1 tsp. pure almond extract
Almond flakes for decoration"

*You may ask ... "how come you used 18g of Splenda if the recipe calls for 180g of sugar? isn't it supposed to be equal?"
Ewelina says ..."Splenda is much lighter than sugar, you use the same amount when you measure with cups or spoons but not when you weight. For example 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of Splenda looks the same but sugar weighs about 10 times more"

"Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 180C 350F Gas Mark 4 and butter a 23 cm springform pan.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a large bowl over simmering water. Stir in almonds and set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl using electric mixer whisk egg yolks and sweetener until mixture gets smooth and pale yellow. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to melted chocolate and stir to combine. Stir in almond extract.
4. In a large bowl using electric mixer whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. Using spatula fold in ¼ of egg whites to the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites (it takes some time but do it gently)

5. Pour the batter into the form and bake 20min. 
6. Cool slightly and decorate with almond flakes."

Words and recipe can be seen on Ewelina's blog here

hang on ... I'll just put the kettle on!

A variety of recipe ideas are within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

It's me said...

Mmmmmmmm...delicious....love Ria 💕💕

CJ Kennedy said...

This sounds so good.

sandy said...

love the almond cake photo and that teapot ...very different from any I've seen - pretty cool!

NanaDiana said...

OHMYGOSH!! That sounds fantastic....now to try to convert it to US measurements....lol

Lowcarb team member said...

NanaDiana said...
OHMYGOSH!! That sounds fantastic....now to try to convert it to US measurements....lol

Hello Diana, many thanks for your comment.
LOL! Oh goodness, yes, conversion to US measurements!
This site may be useful (but there are many on the inter-web)
https://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

In the meantime enjoy a 'virtual' slice and a cuppa - you're always welcome :)

All the best Jan

The Happy Whisk said...

Love a good piece of something using almonds.
Just a great texture they add.
And, I'm a metric girl so I LOVE seeing metric.
Have a yummy week and boogie boogie.

Sue said...

This looks lovely, and thanks for explaining how the sugar conversion works - I'd wondered about that. Take care, Sue xx

Bill said...

Wow, that will melt in your mouth and it's always better with a cuppa.
Thanks for sharing!

junemac2 said...

Looks gorgeous. Love a sweet treat. <3 x

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Two of my favourites, chocolate and almonds.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm going to try to get the ingredients to make myself a cake on my birthday in a couple of months...I say that every year! heehee! But this will be a BIG birthday so I think I should! Thanks for the recipes with NO sugar!

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks soooo good, have copies the recipe. I wish I had a slice here right now, perhaps it's good that I don't! Thanks for sharing, Valerie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amazing. No flour? Or ground almonds?

God bless.

Louca por porcelana said...

It looks great!Hugs!

Susan Kane said...

This is amazing. I am copying and pasting this for my file!

Rose said...

Interesting...sounds like something Roger would like.

William Kendall said...

Looks good!

happyone said...

That sure looks good!!

Tom said...

...looks yummy.

DVArtist said...

Oh yum yum

Margaret D said...

That does look delicious.

Jo said...

It looks delicious. Chocolate and almonds work so well together.

RO said...

What a perfect dessert for the holidays! Hugs, RO

Chris Lally said...

Love the omission of flour. Sounds like a winner, Jan!

Bob Bushell said...

Now, I love choc with almond, yes, love it.

baili said...

i too feel appetite for deserts specially in winters and i take bit of it occasionally :)
this one looks appealing ,worth trying

blessings!

Jeanie said...

I'm not even chocolate's biggest fan and this looks good!

Martha said...

Mmmmm...mmmmm...mmmm. So delicious!

Lorrie said...

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It looks so good! I'll need to put things on my grocery list!