Total Pageviews

Friday 22 November 2019

S is for Salmon ... it's nutrient dense !

Fish and shellfish are nutrient dense and salmon is no exception. It is an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals (including potassium, selenium and vitamin B12) but it is their content of omega-3 fatty acids that receives the most attention, and you can read more about the health benefits of salmon here 

I have to say I/we enjoy salmon ... and we enjoy other fish too! My friendly fishmonger knows me well, and when shopping I do tend to look out for special offers or reduced deals that may be available on fish and of course the other type of real fresh foods we enjoy eating too. It does pay to watch your £'s, $'s or whatever your currency may be!

If you should like salmon, then you may wish to try these recipe suggestions. 


Lemon and Chilli Crusted Salmon ... with extra fine green beans


Here are the ingredients for four servings:
For the salmon
17g carbs per serving 
75g (3oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
 (you can use a lower carb bread or toasted pine nuts if preferred)
25g (1oz) grated fresh Parmesan
1 red chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped
1 lemon, zest only
large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
large handful of basil, chopped
4 skinless boneless salmon fillets
4 tbsp. olive oil
For the beans
250g (8oz) extra fine green beans, trimmed
25g (1oz) butter
1/2 lemon, zest and a squeeze of juice
1 lemon cut into wedges, for serving 
Please find instructions/more details here

Salmon Patties with Feta Cheese Sauce


Here are the ingredients for four servings
Salmon
11g carbs per serving
24 oz. (700g) skinned salmon*, filet, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, shredded
1 garlic clove, pressed
3 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 oz. (30g) butter for frying
ground black pepper 
The patties can be made with canned salmon*. 
Drain off excess liquid and add to the recipe in place of the boneless, skinned, fresh salmon.
Feta cheese sauce
1 cup (225ml) sour cream
4 oz. (110g) feta cheese
2 garlic cloves, pressed
fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper
Salad
3 oz. (75g) leafy greens
8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 red onion, divided in half and thinly sliced
Garnish
½ lemon 

Please find instructions/more details here




A variety of recipe ideas are within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Si el ingrediente principal es el salmón seguro que me gusta esta recetas. Es uno de los alimentos de mi predilección.

Buenas noches.

Besos

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like salmon and these recipes look tasty

Tom said...

...and it's easy to love.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hi Jan.
For those eating salmon this is nice.
Gives me an idea for a veg or bean curd version.
Wishing you a yummy weekend.

Christine said...

It's time for me to do some salmon, thanks for the inspiration!

Bill said...

Salmon is my favorite fish. Those dishes look delicious.

Bob Bushell said...

When I like salmon, but, I can't stand though its stomach filled plastic.

Chatty Crone said...

My hubs loves salmon.

Evi Erlinda said...

Patty Salmon with feta looks so good

aussie aNNie said...

Fab recipe and as we eat salmon a lot this is appreciated.x

Catarina said...

Salmon is my favourite fish! I've already copied these recipes. Thank you, Jane, for all these fabulous suggestions. The photos are so appealing!!

Kay said...

Oh my! That looks absolutely scrumptious. I like salmon too, when it's not overcooked.

Practical Parsimony said...

We always had salmon croquettes when I was growing up. It was one of our favorite meals and from canned salmon. We also ate canned salmon in scrambled eggs. THAT s delicious. I may make some for dinner this week.

baili said...

fantastic sharing dear Jan!
here we are enjoying lots of fish as winters have started :)

thank you for recipes ,patties are in my list

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I want to thank you for stopping by yesterday. Nothing is broken, but I’m so sore I can’t sit and type with one hand for any length of time. I am sending this generic message because I want you to know I stopped by, appreciate you, and read your post today. Thanks for understanding.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds great. We had salmon and fried potato cakes with sour cream at the Christmas market yesterday evening. Valerie

Sandi said...

It feels so much better to eat healthy like this!

P.S. Have you tried Rebel low carb ice cream?

Jo said...

Salmon is one of the few things that I really don't like, but I do eat other fish and shellfish.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello,
You make everytime of all food a wonderful party. It looks so very well again.
That must be delicious....hmmmm....!!

Greetings, Marco

Teresa said...

Una comida muy buena. Un beso.

CJ Kennedy said...

We don't get salmon very often, but when we do, it's delicious.

Natalia said...

Wild salmon is so good, love its flavour! Delicious☺

Ygraine said...

Oh I absolutely adore salmon...in just about every recipe I have ever tasted!
I really can't wait to try this one...thank you so much!😊😊

Have a fabulous weekend!

Hugs xxx

Jeanie said...

I love salmon but don't always cook it so well, so thank you for what looks like two very easy and delicious recipes!

My name is Erika. said...

I've been reading up on farm raised versus wild salmon, have you read/heard anything about that? I love salmon and your recipe in this post looks fantastic! Hugs-Erika

Lowcarb team member said...

Sandi said...
It feels so much better to eat healthy like this!

P.S. Have you tried Rebel low carb ice cream?

Hello Sandi,many thanks for your comment and question.
No, I haven't tried Rebel Low Carb Ice Cream ... should you try it please let us know what you think of it.
Many thanks

All the best Jan

PS Enjoy your weekend.

Rain said...

Oh lemon and salmon just go so well together! I like to eat salmon occasionally, but I find it too strong a taste lately, so I go for trout, which is a little milder, but still very tasty!

Lowcarb team member said...

My name is Erika. said...
I've been reading up on farm raised versus wild salmon, have you read/heard anything about that? I love salmon and your recipe in this post looks fantastic! Hugs-Erika

Hello Erika, many thanks for your comment and question.

There is an interesting article about 'Wild vs Farmed Salmon which you can read here
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/wild-vs-farmed-salmon

As the author of the article Joe Leech MS says ...
"It is a good idea to eat fatty fish such as salmon 1–2 times per week for optimal health.

This fish is delicious, loaded with beneficial nutrients and highly filling — and therefore weight-loss-friendly.

The biggest concern with farmed salmon is organic pollutants like PCBs. If you try to minimize your intake of toxins, you should avoid eating salmon too frequently.

Antibiotics in farmed salmon are also problematic, as they may increase the risk of antibiotic resistance in your gut.

However, given its high amount of omega-3s, quality protein and beneficial nutrients, any type of salmon is still a healthy food.

Still, wild salmon is generally better for your health if you can afford it."

I do include a variety of fish in my menu plans, from salmon, trout, cod, haddock and smoked haddock, to prawns, mussels, scallops and more! There is so much choice.

As always what we each choose to eat has to be a personal choice. It is important to always have regard to any food allergies, or underlying health issues. These must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

I do hope the above may help.

All the best Jan

PS Enjoy your weekend … here in the UK we have a lot of rain!!!

Martha said...

I really like salmon. It's been awhile since I had any. Time for that!

William Kendall said...

I just can't bring myself to eat seafood.

italiafinlandia said...

Salmon is very welcome in our kitchen!
Thank you.