Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 November 2019

Get Creative With Cabbage : Healthy And Low Carb

Cabbage is an exceptionally healthy food. It has an outstanding nutrient profile and is especially high in vitamins C and K. In addition, eating cabbage may even help lower the risk of certain diseases, improve digestion and combat inflammation. Plus, cabbage makes a tasty and inexpensive addition to a number of recipes. With so many potential health benefits, it is easy to see why cabbage deserves some time in the spotlight and some room on your plate. So perhaps it's time to get creative with cabbage and instead of delicious butter braised cabbage, why not try one (or both) of these recipe suggestions ! 

Italian Chicken Parmesan with Cabbage Pasta : Low Carb / Keto


A simple, creamy chicken parmesan dinner with the added tang of sundried and regular tomatoes. It works just as well for regular weekdays meals as it does for a festive weekend get-together. Serve it on top of butter-fried cabbage strips in place of pasta... delicious!

Ingredients
Serves Four
10g net carbs per serving
Italian chicken stew
2 tbsp. butter for frying
1¾ lbs (800g) chicken breasts, sliced
¼ cup (60ml) tomatoes, sun-dried, coarsely chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
½ cup (125ml) parmesan cheese, shredded (grated)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
3 oz. (75g) baby spinach
1½ cups (350ml) heavy (double) whipping cream
salt and pepper
Cabbage pasta
15 oz. (425g) green cabbage, shredded (grated)
2 tbsp. butter for frying
salt or pepper
Instructions
can be seen here

Asian Cabbage Stir Fry / Crack Slaw : Low Carb


This lovely low-carb dish, Asian Cabbage stir-fry, sometimes known as 'Crack Slaw', is very delicious, and I'm sure that if you don't know this recipe already, it could well become a favourite to include in your menu plans!

Ingredients
Serves Four 
8g net carbs per serving
650 g (1½ lbs) green cabbage
110 g (4oz) butter, divided
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
550 g (1¼ lbs) ground (minced) beef
3 scallions, chopped in 1/2-inch slices
1 tbsp. sesame oil
Wasabi mayonnaise
225 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
½ tbsp. wasabi paste
Substituting ingredients
You can replace the beef with other kinds of protein like (minced) ground chicken, pork or lamb.
If you have other sorts of cabbage like red cabbage or savoy cabbage, they will work just as fine.

If you don't like mayonnaise you can substitute that for crème fraîche,
sour cream, or even cream cheese.
Storing and reheating
This dish keeps in the fridge for at least 3-4 days. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Thawing and reheating can make the cabbage release its liquids so the dish may be a bit more watery compared to freshly cooked, but this does not affect the flavour of the dish. 
Cooking instructions 
can be found here 

I'm not sure where the name 'Crack Slaw' originated, but those who have tried this, or similar recipes, say it is delicious and addictive so maybe that's a clue?

Is cabbage one of your favourite vegetables, or do you prefer another?

… dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Rose said...

I really do like cabbage but seldom have it....this post makes me crave it though.

Tom said...

...I eat cabbage, but perhaps not in creative ways!

Martha said...

So yummy! It's been quite some time since I had cabbage.

Chris Lally said...

Thanks for the recipes, Jan!! LOVE cabbage:)

CJ Kennedy said...

Sorry, you can’t call cabbage pasta. 😉

Elephant's Child said...

Healthy - and delicious.

Sue (this n that) said...

I didn't realise cabbage can help with inflammation. Enjoyed seeing your recipes and I shall use more... its too easy to leave it sitting at the bottom of the crisper! Cheers and enjoy your weekend :D)

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of great ideas today. Yesterday I had a kohlrabi and apple salad at a friend's, delicious! Have a great weekend, Valerie

Sue said...

These look lovely dishes! We eat cabbage and red cabbage, but only in coleslaw and quite traditional ways. We are in Spain at the moment and the food is amazing - so fresh and Neil is managing to keep his sugars really down just by making the right food choices AND no heartburn which is a real plus! Have a lovely week, and I'll catch up when we get home xx

Jo said...

I love cabbage. These look like some great recipes.

Margaret D said...

Rather like cabbage and eat a fair bit of it at times.

Catarina said...

I have been buying cabbage more often lately... the red one. Will follow some of these recipes.
Thanks!

My name is Erika. said...

As I rarely use cabbage, except for coleslaw, I enjoyed these. Time to give the veggie a try I think. Happy November!

Christine said...

Looks delicious!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

We love cabbage....I think I will try substituting chick peas for meat so my vegetarian son might enjoy it too - that's the crack slaw I'm thinking about.

Gloria Baker said...

I love the parmesan chicken and cabbage, sounds delicious, thanks by sharing, hope to come back soon (I was without internet)
hugs

Rain said...

I like cabbage, but only if it's cooked in soup! I tried making cabbage rolls once and I turned my nose at it. I used to eat a lot of coleslaw, but my digestion won't stand for it anymore!

CraveCute said...

My husband and I both love cabbage! These recipes look like a newer way to incorporate this healthy green into our meals. Thank you!

Sandra Cox said...

Getting creative with cabbage. I like it!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Thank you for these cabbage recipes, Jan. I haven't bought it home lately, but these recipes tell me I should soon. Have a lovely weekend!

Mary Kirkland said...

I love cabbage. I'm actually making cole slaw with chicken tonight.

Lisabella Russo said...

I love the idea of a cabbage stir fry, I'll have to modify it a smidge to be vegetarian, but it's a wonderful idea, thank you!

William Kendall said...

I'd go for the first one.

DeniseinVA said...

We had cabbage tonight but a lot plainer than this recipe. It looks incredible and we will make it. Thank you so much Jan :)

DVArtist said...

I eat cabbage a few times a week so thanks for the recipes.

sandy said...

the Stir Fry calls my name!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Lovely recipes! We like cabbage too.
Hugs from Finland!

Debbie said...

nice recipes for winter!! i love cabbage, cooked or uncooked!!!

carol l mckenna said...

OOOH ~ delicious looking sounding cabbage recipes!

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jenn Jilks said...

This sounds interesting. You post great stuff.