Total Pageviews

Tuesday 9 July 2019

Surprising Benefits of Tahini

SaVanna Shoemaker, MS, RDN, LD writes:
"Tahini is a paste made from toasted, ground sesame seeds. It has a light, nutty flavour. It’s best known as an ingredient in hummus but widely used in many dishes around the world, particularly in Mediterranean and Asian cuisine. Aside from its culinary uses, tahini offers several health benefits.


Here are nine health benefits of tahini.
Highly nutritious 
Tahini contains a variety of vitamins and minerals, including phosphorus and manganese, both of which play vital roles in bone health. It’s also high in thiamine (vitamin B1) and vitamin B6. It is also rich in anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fats.

Rich in antioxidants
Tahini contains antioxidants called lignans, including the lignan sesamin, which help prevent free radical damage in your body and may reduce your risk of disease. In animal studies, sesamin has exhibited numerous health benefits; e.g. it may decrease your risk of cancer and protect your liver from free radical damage. However, more research in humans is needed.

May decrease your risk of certain diseases
Consuming sesame seeds may decrease your risk of certain conditions, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

May have antibacterial properties 
Tahini and sesame seeds may have antibacterial properties due to the powerful antioxidants they contain. In one study on the antibacterial capacity of sesame seed extract, researchers found that it was effective against 77% of the drug-resistant bacterial samples tested. Sesame oil and sesame seed extract have been shown to exhibit antibacterial qualities in test-tube and animal studies, and these effects are believed to be due to the healthy fats and antioxidants they contain. However, more research is needed. 

Contains anti-inflammatory compounds
Tahini contains anti-inflammatory antioxidants. However, more research is needed to understand the effects of sesame seeds on inflammation in humans.

May strengthen your central nervous system 
Tahini contains compounds that may improve brain health and decrease your risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases like dementia. According to test-tube and animal research, sesame seeds and tahini contain compounds that may promote brain health and protect nerve cells, however, more research in humans is needed on the effects of tahini on brain health.

May offer anticancer effects 
Sesame seeds are also being researched for their potential anticancer effects. Tahini contains compounds that may have anticancer properties; however, more research in humans is needed.

Helps protect liver and kidney function 
Tahini and sesame seeds contains compounds that may help protect your liver and kidneys from damage. These organs are responsible for removing toxins and waste from your body; however, more research is needed to fully understand these effects.

Easy to add to your diet 
Tahini is easy to add to your diet. It can be purchased online and at most grocery stores. It’s well known as an ingredient in hummus, but it also makes an excellent stand-alone spread or dip for pitta bread, meat, and vegetables. You can also add it to dips, salad dressings, and baked goods.

How to make tahini
Ingredients
2 cups (284 grams) of hulled sesame seeds
1–2 tablespoons of a mild-tasting oil, such as avocado or olive oil
Directions
In a large, dry saucepan, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat until they are golden and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a food processor, grind the sesame seeds. Slowly drizzle in oil until the paste reaches the consistency you desire.

Recommendations vary for how long you can keep fresh tahini, but most websites claim it can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. The natural oils in it may separate during storage, but this can be easily fixed by stirring the tahini before using it.

Raw tahini is also an option. To make it, omit the first step of the recipe. However, some research indicates that toasting sesame seeds increases their nutritional benefits. 

The bottom line 
Tahini is a tasty way to add powerful antioxidants and healthy fats to your diet, as well as several vitamins and minerals. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and its health benefits may include reducing risk factors for heart disease and protecting brain health. It’s also very easy to make at home using only two ingredients. Overall, tahini is a simple, healthy, and flavourful addition to your diet."

The above words have been taken from an article by SaVanna Shoemaker, which can be seen with all information and research links here

On a personal note I think tahini certainly adds flavour to meals, such as in this recipe for Prebiotic Roasted Tray Bake With Tahini Drizzle, see it here



Do you like Tahini, or sesame seeds? Do you use tahini in your recipes? 

Dear reader, a variety of articles, and recipe ideas, are within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. 

All the best Jan

28 comments:

William Kendall said...

That's the first time I've heard of that.

Elephant's Child said...

I love it. And, as you know, really, really liked your tahini drizzle. So much that I have some in the fridge now. I spread it on all sorts of things, hot or cold.

Kay said...

I haven't used it, but you're making me want to try it.

Bill said...

My wife uses it when she makes hummus.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love sesame seeds but found tahini paste on its own to be unpleasant. It does sound like something I should experiment more with.

DUTA said...

Tahini is a very popular paste in certain regions (Mediterranean, Middle East), and rightly so. It's tasty and goes with everything. Your list of health benefits is, of course, correct. The only minus is that it is rich in calories; so,one should use it in moderation.

Sue (this n that) said...

Thanks very much for that interesting post Jan - I have a jar of tahini in my pantry, now I shall use it! I appreciate the link to the recipe too, it sounds easy and tasty.

My name is Erika. said...

So many natural foods have great things for your body, don't they? It's all the junk we eat (we as general term for society) that are so bad for us.

Tom said...

...yet another thing that is new to me!

magiceye said...

Thank you for this informative post.

Pam said...

Not heard of that before. There is so much out there that is good for us but I really need to do some reading to find out.

Margaret D said...

Interesting read. I sometimes use sesame oil, just a dash in cooking.

handmade by amalia said...

I use A LOT of tahini. I knew it was good for you, but not this good :-)
Amalia
xo

Jo said...

I've never used tahini but I think I should now I know its benefits.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Desconhecia por completo, aproveito para desejar a continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Practical Parsimony said...

I love tahini and sesame seeds.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've used tahini. In fact, I have some and ought to use it up!!!

mamasmercantile said...

I do use sesame seeds but have never come across tahini before.

Sami said...

I've seen tahini but never used it. I had missed the Roasted vegetables recipe, but have saved it now, as I love roasted vegetables specially in winter.
I use sesame seeds a lot with my morning yogurt or in smoothies.

Sally said...

I love sesame seeds, but have not heard of tahini. Something I need to read more about. Thanks for sharing!

Sussi said...

A new thing for me!

DMS said...

I love hummus- but don't think I have ever heard of tahini before now. Definitely sounds like it has a lot of benefits. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Mary Kirkland said...

I've used sesame seeds a time or two.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Also fan of sesame seeds.
Coffee is on

Snowbird said...

Oh....I've never cooked with it,but will now, that tray bake looks simply delicious.xxx

sandy said...

I love sesame oil, seeds...Mike puts some in our chicken fried rice and it is go good. Thanks for the article.

gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com said...

Love sesame seeds and tahini. My last cake was with tahini :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Great post Jan! I love tahini! Big Hugs!