Total Pageviews

Tuesday 27 April 2021

'Exercise for Better Health'

If you are a regular reader of this blog you may have seen other posts about exercise and the benefits it can bring. Can you have too many posts about exercise? No, I don't think so, and with this in mind I will share some details of the interesting article I read on Diet Doctor site recently. It was by Dr Tony Hampton called "Exercise For Better Health" and below I share some words from it. 

"Bodies thrive on movement
Exercise has many evidence-based benefits:

Mental health: Exercise promotes the creation of positive endorphins, releasing stress and improving mood, helping reduce anxiety and improve symptoms of depression.

Sleep: It improves sleep quality and resets circadian rhythms. (read more information on how to improve sleep, here)

Energy: It increases energy levels throughout the day and fights fatigue. The more you exercise, the more energy you will have.

Blood sugar: It helps muscles take up excess blood sugar, increasing insulin sensitivity and helping lower your blood glucose measurements over the day.

Mobility: It builds muscle strength, flexibility, and balance — helping you keep mobile and preventing falls as you age. Did you know that elderly women with low muscle mass have significantly higher mortality than women with more muscles? Frailty kills.

Metabolism: Physical activity helps increase your metabolic rate, especially if you build lean muscle. Plus it promotes the health and functioning of the mitochondria, the powerhouses of our cells.

Circulatory system: It keeps blood vessels elastic and strengthens the muscles of your heart and lungs; it helps reduce blood pressure and reduces the risk of strokes. It increases blood flow to the brain and helps reduce the risk of dementia.

Immune system: It can boost your immune system, providing anti-cancer benefits and helping you fight infections such as Covid.

Weight maintenance: Exercise can help burn fat and improve body composition.

Think of exercise as a form of play, just like the movement you did as a child. Exercise should be fun and enjoyable for you.

Don’t feel you have to kill yourself in the gym, like a contestant on The Biggest Loser. Any movement is good.

Walking is good, walking towards metabolic wellness. Any step you take is a step in the right direction."

The above is a snippet from Dr Hampton's article which you can read in full 
here

I wonder do you have a favourite way to exercise?
Mine is walking ...

Yes, it's me (Jan) putting my left foot forward!
image from post here

Enjoy your day

All the best Jan

46 comments:

Rose said...

I just need to exercise....and I used to LOVE walking. And think I still would if I had a good place to walk. I don't really like walking in the street even in our small town, but the sidewalks are so rough they are hard to walk on.

Conniecrafter said...

isn't it wonderful that something so good for you is free to do!
Yes walking is my favorite too, you can go fast or slow and enjoy the outdoors while you are doing it :)

J.P. Alexander said...

Estas muy linda y al igual que tu me gusta caminar. Te mando un beso

Christine said...

Walking’s the best!

roughterrain crane said...

Walking is good for both mental and physical health. We can do it anywhere.

handmade by amalia said...

I love walking as well. And dancing.
Amalia
xo

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

My favorite way to exercise, Jan! Fresh air does wonders for the spirit, too. Gardening is my second favorite exercise. Pulling those weeds gets you in some interesting yoga positions as you try to sidestep the flowers! :) Thank you for an inspiring post! Enjoy that spring sunshine. xx K

Elderberry-Rob said...

Nice to see a pic of you, Jan! For me it has to be rowing as we bought a machine during the lockdown and have used it every day since.

Margaret D said...

You are looking good walking there.

Elephant's Child said...

Walking (and gardening) are my favourite exercises. I also need to get back to swimming.

Iris Flavia said...

I love walking, too. And do my daily training with DVDs (yes, plural - I sadly have the time) by Detlef Soost - it comes with music and funny faces of him. Tough but really motivating.

Valerie-Jael said...

Walking outside is always wonderful! Valerie

Jo said...

Walking is my favourite form of exercise too, it helps that I have a dog, I've got to get out there in all weathers even when I don't feel like it.

Bob Bushell said...

Yes, I think easy body, ha ha. I can't I'm affraid. I used do all of them, until I had my stroke.

Sue said...

I enjoy my walking and swimming, but I'll never be a gym bunny! Take care and have a great week xx

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Fundamental o exercício físico.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Little Wandering Wren said...

I'm all for keeping fit, but I do like it to be social so walking with a friend, or yoga with others. Right now things are closing down again but here in Thailand, I am generally very happy to swim as well as the water is warm. The salutary message here is that frailty kills. I wish I was better at the gym!
Have a great week
Wren x

linda said...

I agree that exercise is good for you it's just getting that motivation to start and then put into your routine. Walking is also my preferred exercise but I can't wait for my Zumba classes to start up again.

Tom said...

...yep, keep moving!

Anonymous said...

All in all, I feel when one exercises, it truly helps!

Walking is my favorite exercise!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jan,

I enjoy walking too, great photo!
I do have my indoor exercise bike for the rainy days.

Have a happy day!

Martha said...

Walking and weight training for me. :)

Aritha V. said...

I am walking too

Teresa said...

Me gusta caminar y bailar. Me gusto verte. Besos.

Bill said...

Walking works for me, I love it.

DUTA said...

You look terrific in the picture! slim and well dressed! Red is a great color!
Walking is my second nature as I don't drive. Needless to say, it benefits the mind and body.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You look great and inspiring!

happyone said...

You don't have to tell me about how good exercising it. I sure love my 6 mile morning walk each day!! Would love to go walking with you!! :)

Lorrie said...

You look like you are moving with energy in your photo and that's such a good thing. I love to walk, and also do some stretching and cardio exercise at home. I hate going to a gym (still closed here anyway). Gardening is also good exercise.

R's Rue said...

👍🏼

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Enjoyed reading this exercise post, Jan. I agree that it is something we all need to do daily.

William Kendall said...

Walking is my preferred exercise. Before Covid I would swim four or five times a week.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I'm with you, Jan, walking is my form of exercise. It has been for many years and we love to start our days walking. Great tips, my friend.

Maria Rodrigues said...

I walk every day for about 1 hour with my dog.

baili said...

wonderful posting dear Jan !

and thank you specially for the sweet photo of your own :) i loved it !

i have been exercising since almost eighteen years ,after birth of my younger son and because of my terrible backache ,i left intense exercise since few years but my almost half hour yoga and walk is on and i think i can't feel good without doing them :)
thank you for encouraging posts always !

Laura. M said...

Interesante.
También es el mío. Caminamos todos los dias, ahora más ya que no podemos hacer otra por el covid cosa.
Cuídaros.
Un abrazo.

Jules said...

Walking is definitely my favourite thing to do. I enjoy it and forget about it being exercise. X

Divers and Sundry said...

Exercising has become a passion for me as I try to do what I can to maintain strength and fitness as I get older. You can never have too many posts on exercise :)

My name is Erika. said...

Mine is walking also. I just love doing it too.

Jeanie said...

When I'm near water, my favorite is swimming. Otherwise, walking.

Snowbird said...

Oh I'm with you, it's walking every time! Great to know how good it is for us.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

Hi Jan! I'm walking with you! Great post! Big Hugs!

Debbie said...

i cannot walk very far but appreciate what i can do. when i can't get outside, i do laps in the house...you look like you have a great stride!!

DVArtist said...

My grandmother lived to be 104. She always said, "Move everyday, walk, stretch, and lift light weights." I do that everyday.

sandy said...

I prefer to be outside rather than inside or in a gym ..so i LOVE to walk and hike. Living in the mountains, there is always beauty everywhere I choose to go. love the pic of your walking.

Phil Slade said...

I'm pleased you added that particular sentence. For people with reduced mobility it's essential advice.

"Don’t feel you have to kill yourself in the gym, like a contestant on The Biggest Loser. Any movement is good."

We'll assume you took the photo Eddie. LOL.