Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 September 2024

Green Tomato and Pecan Cake with a Brown Butter Glaze : Lower Carb Recipe

So many blogging friends have been talking/writing about green tomatoes and what should they do with them that it got me doing a little research about green tomato low carb cake! Yes ... really, a green tomato lower carb cake 😋


The recipe suggestion I share here is by Bobbi at East Coast Keto Blog who says:-

"I know, you think I’ve totally lost my marbles on this one, don’t you? I mean who puts green tomato in a cake? The answer? You will….one bite of this cake , you’ll be singing its wonders to all your family and friends.
Some recipes recommend that you puree the tomatoes, but our opinion is that makes the batter and cake too moist, others cut the tomatoes into bigger chunks, but for our tastes it works best to finely dice the tomatoes so they add a little to the consistency but don’t overwhelm the batter. The tomatoes and chopped pecans will work together to give you a fruit cake like texture and we think you’ll find that you just can not get enough!

Ingredients
For the Cake
2 cups almond flour
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup powdered sweetener of your choice
1 cup 35% whipping cream (or equivalent)
3 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups chopped green tomatoes, diced fine
1 cup chopped pecans, chopped
1/2 tsp xanthan
For the Browned Butter Glaze
1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered sweetener
1/8 tsp xanthan gum

Directions
For the Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except tomato and pecans and mix well.
The stir in tomatoes and pecans.
The mixture will very thick. You can add another 1/4 cup cream if you would like a thinner batter but the thicker batter works for this recipe.
Pour batter into greased Bundt pan and bake for 1hr and 15 minutes. Check cake with a toothpick or knife. When the knife comes out clean with no wet batter, your cake is done. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.

For the Glaze
In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Cook 6 to 8 minutes over low heat stirring constantly, or until butter is lightly browned. Keep an eye so it doesn’t burn. It should be a light brown colour.
Whisk in confectioners’ sweetener and xanthan gum until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
If you add too much xanthan try adding a bit more butter and a ¼ cup water."

Need help with weight/measurement conversion see here
Read more about xanthan gum here
Read more about low carb and keto sweeteners here and here
Please see original recipe here


If you'd like to discover more about 'Green Tomatoes' plus some recipes have a look here (not all recipes are low carb)

Dear reader, please be aware that not all recipes within this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic (more about this here) and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Tom said...

...we let our green tomatoes ripen on the windowsill.

Mari said...

I have never heard of green tomatoes in a dessert recipe! This is so cool!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

This is quite interesting Jan! I bet it's delicious. Thank you for posting this recipe.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I've only ever had Fried Green Tomatoes, but why not in a cake? We put beetroot, or courgette, or potatoes and more in cake, so why not green tomatoes? I always say don't knock it 'til you try it.
Enjoy your cake! Debbie

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sounds interesting to me ? I’m sure it tastes great .and perfect for using up green tomatoes

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the idea of using green tomatoes in cakes. It looks great!

Elephant's Child said...

That sounds good - and when all is said and done tomatoes are fruit after all.

Margaret D said...

It certainly looks delicious, Jan.
Hope you are doing ok.

jabblog said...

This looks delicious and sent me on a hunt for other green tomato recipes. Thank you, Jan.

Jo said...

I think a lot of people will be pleased for a green tomato recipe this year. My tomatoes haven't done well at all, there's been a distinct lack of sunshine to ripen them.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The tomatoes in a cake, that is new to me. It looks delicious.
Have a great weekend.

Rose said...

I would sure try this...

Inger said...

It sounds like a pretty healthy cake and so unusual.

Ananka said...

That sounds interesting. Green Tomatoes, never tried them and I do love pecans :-D

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh this cake looks amazing. I wish someone would make it for me. LOL

CJ Kennedy said...

This sounds like a slice of heaven

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Very interesting recipe. I have never eaten green tomatoes in any dish.
I wish you a peaceful Sunday:)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful cake, a recipe to try Thank you!

Kay said...

So weird that very few people grow tomatoes here in Hawaii. I should try it. That cake looks really delicious. You wouldn't know there were tomatoes in it.

This N That said...

That's a new one on me. I never heard of tomatoes in a cake. Probably good!

Lorrie said...

What an interesting use for green tomatoes. I have plenty of them, but I'm hopeful that more will ripen outdoors and later, I'll bring them in and place them on newspapers.

Mary Kirkland said...

I've only ever had fried green tomatoes but I love those.

HappyK said...

Looks delicious. Never heard of tomatoes in a cake before.
Hope you're doing well Jan!

MELODY JACOB said...

Green Tomato and Pecan Cake with a Brown Butter Glaze sounds like a unique and intriguing recipe! The use of green tomatoes adds a surprising twist to the cake's texture and flavor, while the browned butter glaze must make it decadently sweet and rich. Bobbi's tips for the tomatoes and the thick batter are especially helpful.

I’m wishing you a lovely weekend. You are invited to read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2022/10/how-to-break-out-of-nzu-addiction.html

My name is Erika. said...

What a fabulous idea. And it looks yummy too!

Conniecrafter said...

Well who would have thought, that would be interesting

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Now there is an interesting idea for using green tomatoes. I do have rather a lot of them here.