Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Welcome the 1st of September 2026

 As we say goodbye to August it's time to say hello to September.

Yes, the ninth month of the year is here!


September is sometimes called the doorway month. The energy of summer fades, leaves begin to change colour, children head back to school, and the harvest moves into full swing.

Yes, September is here and if you live in the northern hemisphere it brings the last days of summer and the first days of Autumn... (obviously Spring if you live in the southern hemisphere!) 

"September, in Old England, was called Haervest-monath (Harvest Month). This is the time to gather up the rest of the harvest and prepare for the winter months.

September’s name comes from the Latin word septem, meaning "seven" This month had originally been the seventh month of the early Roman calendar. It wasn’t until 451 BC that the months of January and February were added to the calendar, making September the ninth month.

The Romans often associated different months with different gods. September is associated with Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.

September’s zodiac signs are Virgo (Aug. 23–Sept. 22) and Libra (Sept. 23–Oct. 22). Virgos are said to be analytical and hardworking people, while still being kind and loyal. Libras, on the other hand, value harmony and diplomacy, and are said to be both intelligent and kind.

September’s birth flowers are the aster and the morning glory. The significance of both flowers is actually very similar, with the aster being said to represent love, while the morning glory represents affection.

The September birthstone is the sapphire, which was once thought to guard against evil and poisoning. The sapphire, along with the related ruby, are the second-hardest natural gemstones, with only the diamond being harder

September is National Happy Cat Month, and I know there are a lot of cat lovers who read this blog 😺

September 5th is National Cheese Pizza Day,
 Have a Pizza Night, the Low Carb Way, with a Cauliflower Pizza Casserole 
it's so cheesy - more details here


~ Wishing you a happy September 2026 ~

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

41 comments:

Joyful said...

I enjoyed hearing about the month of September. All the best to you as the new month moves forward.

Tom said...

...Jan, I wish you a Spectacular September!

Mary Kirkland said...

Cheese pizza sounds good.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy September! I hope you have a fantastic month!

Dianna said...

I clicked through to see the recipe and it sounds delicious. Thank you, Jan. xx

Mari said...

That's a gorgeous picture. I'm partial to fields with hay, having grown up on a farm. The pizza looks good too!
Happy September Jan!

Granny Marigold said...

I love September's gem, the sapphire!! I also am very fond of pizza and now I have the perfect reason to have some on Saturday the 5th!!

contempladoraocidental.blogspot.com said...

Happy September!

bobbie said...

And tomorrow is my 68th birthday! {born on Labor Day!!} And hubby will be making me his world famous pizza!! Cheers!
bobbie

Angie's Recipes said...

That's a really beautiful autumnal scene. Happy September!!

Jules said...

Happy September, Jan! The Pizza Casserole looks great. X

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Thanks for all the explanations about September—that was interesting, and the pizza recipe is delicious...
I wish you a happy September! Hugs, Elke

Modrina Neba said...

A wonderful description for the month of September, may it be kind to us all, Andreja!

Margaret D said...

Interesting about September Jan. Husbands' birthday is in September (Virgo).

Giorgio said...

I like making pizza cheese with goat cheese.
Have a lovely new month, Jan 🍁

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You had me at Happy Cat!!! That pizza looks delicious, too.

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, doesn´t fit here... Ingo is analytical and hardworking instead of diplomatic!
National Happy Cat Month sounds wonderful.
Hmmm... cheesy pizza...

eileeninmd said...

The pizza looks yummy! Happy September to you! Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Jo said...

September is my birthday month but I'm always sad when it rolls round as it heralds the end of summer.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Happy September, Jan.

chica said...

Pizza muito boa! Feliz setembro! beijos, chica

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Exactsamente no se lo que tiene septiembre pero es un mes que me ha gustado mucho, pasado el verano es el retorno a la tranquilidad y la rutina, es un mes que ya han pasado los agobios de calor y de gente, es un mes para disfrutar y pasear, en definitiva para retornar lo cotidiano.
Feliz mes.
Saludos

Bijoux said...

It's a beautiful month and hurrah for pizza.

Christine said...

Happy September

Bill said...

Happy September, Jan.

jabblog said...

A pleasantly warm September, with gentle rain at night, would be so welcome. However it is, I wish you a happy month, Jan.

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

J.P. Alexander
Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso

Thanks for the recipe. Sending you a kiss.

chica
Pizza muito boa! Feliz setembro! beijos, chica

Really good pizza! Happy September! Kisses, Chica

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí
Exactsamente no se lo que tiene septiembre pero es un mes que me ha gustado mucho, pasado el verano es el retorno a la tranquilidad y la rutina, es un mes que ya han pasado los agobios de calor y de gente, es un mes para disfrutar y pasear, en definitiva para retornar lo cotidiano.
Feliz mes.
Saludos

I’m not exactly sure what it is about September, but it’s a month I really like. With summer over, there’s a return to calm and routine; the oppressive heat and crowds have passed, making it a month for enjoying oneself and taking walks—in short, for getting back to everyday life.
Have a wonderful month.
Best regards.

Carla from The River said...

Happy September!!
My morning glories are blooming. :-)
xo

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan,
The pizza looks super delicious.
September is the time to cherish the best of summer and open your heart to the charm of a new season. Happy September my friend.
Hugs and all the best for you

Shari Burke said...

Happy September, Jan! I'll keep National Cheese Pizza Day in mind and plan accordingly ;-)

HappyK said...

Happy September. What a beautiful scene!!

DVArtist said...

Nice post for Sept. Oh yes, I will take national cheese pizza day all month long thank you. LOL

Kim said...

I'm a summer girl, so September isn't a favorite month for me, however, cheese pizza is my all time favorite food, so that just made the month a little better!! I guess it really is all about perspective! Thanks Jan!

Debbie said...

ooooh i really love september. the weather starts to cool off and i enjoy being outside again. both of my boys were born in september, less than a year apart. i celebrate my birthday as well...we are all virgos. and we all love pizza!! the image is gorgeous, perfect for early september!!

Conniecrafter said...

Happy September, I will say I am looking forward to Autumn. I hope we have cooler weather, it is so HOT right now. I did not know it use to be the seventh month, so weird how things change.
A friend of ours made a cauliflower base pizza and it was pretty good :)

Jeanie said...

September is one of my favorite months. The light is so beautiful, the harvest so rich, and for the most part weather is still nice. I always enjoy your first of month posts!

DeniseinVA said...

That is such a gorgeous picture! And thank you for another lovely post Jan. All the best, Denise

baili said...

i knew less about the beauty and depth of September before starting my blog,reading how September is associated with awesome autumn season makes this month very special to me :)

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Happy September days to you, Jan.
Even though I'm a few days late for the National Cheese Pizza Day, I like the idea of the cauliflower pizza casserole.

Teresa said...

Me encantó saber sobre septiembre. También te deseo un septiembre feliz.