Total Pageviews

Friday 18 November 2016

Braised beef with red wine & cranberry


This lovely seasonal dish can be left to bubble away, filling the kitchen with some wonderful and comforting aromas ...

Ingredients:
Serves 4
1kg braising steak
3 onions ( I usually use red ones)

300ml red wine
300ml stock
3 rounded tbsp cranberry sauce (check sugar/carb content if using shop bought)

Method:
1. Cut the meat into large slices, about 8cm square. Tip 2 tbsp flour with some salt and pepper into a large food bag, add the beef and shake to coat the pieces. Thinly slice the onions.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the beef and fry on all sides until evenly browned. You may need to do this in two batches. Remove to a plate.
3. Heat 1tbsp oil in the pan if you need it, then add the onions and fry quickly for 5 minutes until tinged brown. Return the beef to the pan and add the wine and stock. Bring to the boil, stirring to scrape up the juices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Reduce the heat, cover tightly with a lid and cook at a gentle simmer for 1hr 30mins until the beef is tender. Stir in the cranberry sauce, taste and add more seasoning if necessary. Simmer for a further 5 minutes and serve with vegetables of your choice. Some may choose mashed potato, others may choose mashed swede which is a lower carb alternative... fine green beans are also nice.

Original recipe idea from here

More about cranberries, they are a tart, ruby-red coloured berry which grows wild on shrubs throughout northern Europe and North America. High in vitamins C and D, potassium and iron they are believed to be a natural remedy for a host of health conditions.

Cranberries 
are at their best between October and December. and come into their own around Christmas. They are good for much more than accompanying the turkey. Their sour flavour lends itself well to both sweet and savoury dishes, as well as drinks.

When buying fresh cranberries look for plump, firm, red berries. Cranberries can be kept in the fridge for at least two months or frozen for up to a year ... but they're also available dried.

I hope you may enjoy this recipe suggestion soon, as it's especially nice in these cooler months. Now, may I pour you a glass of wine, or perhaps you would prefer something else ...


As regular readers know, we bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you.

If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Braising steak will be on my shopping list for tomorrow.
Lovely recipe idea.

Annie

Jo said...

That looks fabulous and I'm sure it's very tasty, it certainly looks it.

Phil Slade said...

I like sweet. I like sour. But sorry Jan, I don't like sweet and sour. I do like red wine though - lots of it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You have no idea how happy I am that we've found each other Jan, I now have an excellent on line recipe source ☺ I have made several of your recipes here that have been very much appreciated!

Mac n' Janet said...

This just sounds so good I immediately made a copy of the recipe.

Martha said...

Thanks for always sharing such wonderful recipes!

John M said...

The photo is making me hungry!

happyone said...

Now I'm hungry!! 😊

Revrunner said...

Now that's tempting!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, this looks so good, Jan. I think it would taste good with either mashed potatoes OR rice. My mom never made white rice growing up, so I made it all the time when I was married. She made Spanish rice, but never the white rice, which I loved. :)

~Sheri

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that sounds interesting, tfs!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This looks so delicious!

piccolina said...

The recipe got me craving :)

I want to try this one time. Thanks as Always!

Breathtaking said...

Good morning Jan!:) This recipe is an easy one to follow, and the dish looks good. If I haven't got any Cranberry's, can another alternative fruit be used? I enjoyed the video clip, and as we follow a healthy Mediterranean diet, I couldn't agree more, but now I have somewhere to come for some new healthy recipes to try out.:) Have a great weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

Good morning to you Breathtaking ... and many thanks for your comment and question.
As an alternative to cranberry, some people may use goji berry, but please read more about goji berry here http://www.healthline.com/health/goji-berry-facts#Overview1

Pleased you enjoyed Dr Malhotra's video clip.

Wishing you a good weekend too.

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! And, thanks about the information about the cranberries too! Big Hugs!