Total Pageviews

Friday 25 November 2016

Grilled scallops with green peppercorns and garlic : Low carb


If you are looking for a special starter dish, then this could be it. It is a really simple recipe to put together and the dash of cream and green peppercorns go beautifully with seafood.

Ingredients
Serves Two
6 scallops, white meat removed from the shells
1 knob of butter
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tsp green peppercorns
2 thyme sprigs
2-3 tbsp double (heavy) cream


Method
1. Heat the grill to its highest setting. Place the prepared scallops in a solid dish that will sit happily under the grill. Dot the butter over and around them, along with the sliced garlic, green peppercorns and thyme sprigs. Season well.
2. Place the dish under the grill. It needs to be pretty close to the flame or element. Grill the scallops for 2–3 minutes, then flip them over, add the cream, give the dish a little shuffle to mix it all up, and return to the grill to cook for a further 2 minutes, until the scallops are cooked through and the sauce is bubbling deliciously.
3. Serve and enjoy ...

Each serving provides
1.9g carbohydrate 0.9g fibre 6.7g protein 14.1g fat

Original idea from Gill Meller and you can find it 
here 

Now I just may be tempted to open a nice bottle of Prosecco


All the best Jan

16 comments:

Jo said...

Lovely. It does look rather special and I like a nice simple recipe.

Anonymous said...

This looks lovely. Good to read about Gill Meller, and his link with River Cottage. I like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall too.

Jenny S

roughterrain crane said...

A dish of scallop and garlic is a great combination.

sage said...

This looks good!

Tom said...

...oh I love scallops!

Stephanie said...

Hi, sweet Jan! Another wonderful recipe, my friend. Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend. Hugs!

Christine said...

I could eat that right now and it is really just time for breakfast!

Debbie said...

one of my favorite sea foods, lobster being the favorite - this looks awesome!!! many thanks for sharing, have a wonderful weekend!!!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hmmm, I think that Proseco would make anything taste good. And if it didn't, just drink the wine! We recently had what was described as lobster in Cuba but I think in reality it was some kind of fresh water crayfish - tough as hell. Maybe it was the way it was cooked.

The Happy Whisk said...

I would love to try a green peppercorn.

Gail said...

Happy Holidays to the entire team here. I have learned much since I discovered your blog. Thank you.

Bob Bushell said...

This one is yum yum yummy, I love it.

Phil Slade said...

I just love scallops Jan. Pity they are so expensive pro-rata. I reckon this recipe would work just as well with some uncooked prawns? Prosecco - now you're talking.

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks to you all for once again sharing your thoughts and comments here, it is appreciated.

David - I think the fish you had in Cuba may have been overcooked as some can go 'rubbery' if cooked too long.

Phil - yes, prawns could work well here, why not give it a try!

As an aside ... currently in the UK Rick Stein has a wonderful cookery programme, and he just loves fish and shares many good recipe suggestions, if you should get a chance to watch it - I'm sure you will not be dis-appointed http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078dj4l

Happy Weekend Wishes to everyone

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

I'm allergic to scallops, but I love the sauce!!

Lisa said...

Scallops are one thing both G and I have siad we would like to try, but they aren't cheap and I would ahte to cook them badly. Maybe we should try them when we are out and have them cooked b someone who knows what they are doing.
Lisa x