Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 November 2016

Purple Sprouting Broccoli - Have You Tried It?

image from here

Isobel King writes: 
"Similar to asparagus in flavour, cooking method and its short time in season, purple sprouting broccoli is an elegant side veg that isn't fussy what you pair it with. We love it steamed and bunged on a plate with a drizzle of oil: it looks fab (in a rustically wild sort of way) and elevates a simple dinner to restaurant-worthy proportions.

You don't want to buy any old purple sprouting though. Look for dark, deep-coloured, slender stems and avoid any with yellowing, wilted leaves or tiny yellow flowers (yes, they look pretty but it means it's been picked for a while). The younger the better too, so choose the broccoli with tight heads that have a uniform purple-green colour (and don't accidentally buy tenderstem broccoli instead). It does look very similar but purple sprouting has just a touch more flavour.

It's best to eat it straight away, but it's fine to store in the fridge in an airtight bag for 3-4 days. Or freeze the florets individually on a baking tray, then transfer to a freezer bag.

Purple sprouting likes to be cooked lightly to avoid the sogginess and unpleasant smell that comes from overdoing it (it is related to cabbage, after all). Chop off any tough ends, leaving the leaves on the stems, and plunge into fast boiling salted water until just tender. You can also steam for 5 minutes or stir-fry, and it's also pretty delicious eaten raw with baba ganoush or houmous."

Why not try some purple sprouting broccoli with this simple recipe idea:- 


Purple sprouting broccoli with cheesy sauce
Ingredients:
Serves One
For the purple sprouting broccoli
5 stems purple sprouting broccoli
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the cheese sauce
150ml/7fl oz double (heavy) cream
100g/3½ brie, chopped
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 (free-range) egg yolk
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:
1. Place the purple sprouting into a saucepan of salted boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the water and place into a bowl of iced water to prevent further cooking. Drain the broccoli and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. For the sauce, place the cream, Brie, mustard and thyme into a small frying pan over a low heat and gently cook, until melted together.
3. Add the egg yolk and stir until thickened, then season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. To serve, place the purple sprouting broccoli onto a warm plate and pour over the cheese sauce.

Delicious served with chicken or fish, but you may prefer something else! 

Original recipe idea from James Martin here


All the best Jan

16 comments:

Jo said...

I used to grow purple sprouting broccoli when I had the allotment, such a treat when it comes in to season.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am not sure if I have even seen the Purple Spouting Broccoli. Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies. Thanks for sharing. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

roughterrain crane said...

I have not seen purple ones yet. It must be a good result of the advanced breeding technique. Have a nice Sunday.

Tom said...

The first time I saw this it was so strange.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I've not seen nor heard of this- now I'm on the lookout!

Debbie said...

oh my goodness, i have never seen nor cooked with this pretty broccoli. you always seem to find the neatest produce and products!!

piccolina said...

I love broccoli! I have not tried this purple one but I want to try one day..I like the color. :)

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan!:) We eat broccoli two or thee times a week, but I have never seen purple broccoli. Is a pretty colour, and adds so much colour to the plate. I'll be on the lookout for it from now on.

Christine said...

I haven't tried it, but it looks gorgeous!

This N That said...

Sounds good..I haven't seen any here..Would be interesting in a salad..Have a good weekend..

happyone said...

Never have I seen purple broccoli. I'm sure I'd like it though.

Martha said...

I've never seen this! This is so interesting.

Conniecrafter said...

I have never heard of this before, well now I will know what to do with it if I ever see it in the stores

Linda said...

I have never tried it but the colour is lovely! :)

Magic Love Crow said...

I have never tried it or seen it?

Snowbird said...

I just love purple sprouting brocolli, I grow it every year, the only downside is that it takes up so much room and only has a small yeild.xxx