Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 March 2014

Ian Day a Man who never stops fighting for the benefit of fellow diabetics!

This is my letter to Balance:

I was very interested to read in the March/April "Balance" the article "Diagnosis Diabetes." In particular, I note that Dr Landeck, advised by Dr Barnard, adopted a diet "based mainly on salads, vegetables, nuts, with very few carbs." In 3 months "he lost more than 12 Kg, regulated his glucose levels & reduced his A1c from 10% to 6%."


That is an impressive achievement, that makes me wonder why Diabetes UK warn against adopting a low carb diet, when they advise that diabetes is progressive.

In my own experience, I followed the D uk recommended high complex carb diet from diagnosis for over 7 years until crippling complications forced me to look for other options. Cutting down on carbs improved my control & restored my health to the extent that 6 years of a low carb, increased fat diet has cleared ALL the complications so that I am well & active at 75.

I hope the experience of your contributing doctors & consultants will lead to a low carb diet being included in the advice given to newly diagnosed patients.

We are advised that T2D is progressive, however well we follow the diet recommendations. You warn against a low carb diet, as its potential long term dangers are unknown. The usual monitoring would show up any dangers. In my experience, 6 years has shown only benefits.

Ian Day


Nicked without Ian's permission from the flog.

Eddie

1 comment:

Lowcarb team member said...

The results of long term trials for the NHS dietary recommendations are available for all who want to see - the statistics of the National Diabetes Audits. Trouble is there seems to a collective blindness.

John