Total Pageviews

Tuesday 6 July 2021

Mangoes ... so luscious and juicy, some say magical


The fragrant sweetness, rich flavour and succulent texture of this magical fruit is highly seductive. To test a mango for ripeness, press the ends firmly - if they yield slightly to the pressure, they should be ready to eat. Otherwise, if it's not quite ready, mangoes can be left to ripen in a sunny spot.

Mangoes are now grown in many tropical and sub-tropical regions and come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colours. They can be round, oval, kidney-shaped or egg-shaped, with yellow, green, red or purple-flushed skin. Their stones can be large or small, their skin can be thin or thick and their flesh yellow or orange, with varying degrees of fibrousness.

The majority of Asian mangoes have a delicate skin and a short shelf life. For that reason, they're flown into Britain (mainly from India and Pakistan), so are more expensive. The thicker-skinned varieties, such as Keitt and Kent, are shipped in by sea year-round. Importers follow mango seasons from country to country. The chief exporters of thick-skinned mangoes are Puerto Rico, Mexico, Israel, South Africa and Peru.

Everyone has their favourite type of mango although there's no doubt that some of the Asian varieties have a particularly fine flavour and soft, non-fibrous texture.

Thin-skinned mangoes are best for eating raw or, when unripe, using in chutneys. Thick-skinned mangoes are better for South American-style salsas and European-style puddings. Try them mixed into a pavlova topping or chopped into fruit salads. If not fully ripe, it's worth letting them ripen on your windowsill to maximise their flavour. They're ripe when they gently give at their stem end. Colour isn't a reliable indication of ripeness because some varieties remain green even when ripe. Mangoes should be kept at room temperature, rather than chilled, to maximise their flavour.

Mangoes are luscious and juicy, and with more than 20 different vitamins and minerals – what’s not to like about mangoes? Having originated in India 5,000 years ago, this tropical fruit is now cultivated in South and Central America, the Caribbean Islands, and other warm areas of the world.

Mangoes are a wonderful addition to salads, along with other fruits such as mandarin oranges, grapes, apples, and pineapples. Impressive amounts of vitamin C, vitamin A, and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin in mangoes help provide benefits, such as healthy immune function, normal blood pressure, good vision and strong bones, plus added protection from lung, mouth, colon, breast and prostate cancers, leukaemia, and stroke. Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) produces hormones in your brain.

Mangoes can be made into a delicious sauce for meats, which is just one recipe among hundreds that place this exotic fruit on your table for benefits far beyond good taste.

However, consume mangoes in moderation because they contain fructose which may be harmful to your health in excessive amounts.

Cod with cucumber, avocado & mango salsa salad
each serving has 12g Fat 25g Protein 15g Carbs - you can see recipe here


Quinoa salad with mint and mango
Jazz up quinoa with fresh mint and mango - see recipe here


Mango and Lime Mousse
This mousse is simple to make and contains no added sugar - see recipe here


Do you like Mango? Will you be trying out any of these recipes?
We bring a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas to this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Lee said...

Delicious mangoes...I love them!!!!

William Kendall said...

I've never had them.

Kay said...

I LOVE mangoes, Jan. I'm seeing mangoes on trees now. My uncle has two trees, but he has them pruned back so they never produce mangoes anymore. Darn it! There's not an over abundance of the fruit anymore in our area. Sigh...
Thank you so much for your information about camellia oil. It's really good to know.

Martha said...

Definitely good stuff!

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you Jan! Such a delicious post! I will be honest with you, I think I will be trying all these recipes!!! Big Hugs!

Tom said...

...something that I rarely have.

Christine said...

I love mangoes. Thanks for the camellia oil research. I decided to pass on trying it.

Angie's Recipes said...

My husband loves them! The one with cod looks really good to me.

J.P. Alexander said...

Adoro los mangos te mando un beso

Catarina said...

Codfish! A Portuguese favourite!
Even though I don’t make many Portuguese dishes per se, I always prepare codfish the Portuguese way. It never crossed my mind to add a mango and avocado salad… until now! Once I confirm that I still have a piece of cod in my freezer, I will make this dish. Thank you!!! And the mango mousse. Quinoa and mango salad is a favourite of mine.

Fun60 said...

As soon as I read the title my mouth was watering.

Margaret D said...

Love Mango fruit but not in things such as ice cream.
Those dishes look good, would eat the mangos in them.

Elephant's Child said...

Absolutely magical. Like Lee I love them - and always receive one for Christmas.

Jo said...

Interesting recipes. I think I've only tried mangoes once or twice.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love mangoes, thanks for sharing the recipes, too. Valerie

Miss Val's Creations said...

Mangoes are my favorite fruit. These recipes look delicious! In the summer, I love freezing mango chunks. Them putting them in the food processor with yogurt to create a delicious, nutritious frozen treat!

Anita said...

oh that cod with mango looks delicious :))))

happyone said...

Haven't eaten many mangos - not one of my favorite fruits.

R's Rue said...

Mangoes are delicious. I want some now.

Snowbird said...

Oh, how I love mangoes so really enjoyed this post.xxx

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for all these great meals Jan, I do love mango! All the best to you and have a great week :)

Ananka said...

I do love mangos but often find them hard to peel and cut haha!

Angie said...

Jan - mangoes are a family favorite, especially our son. Easy to get him to eat that fruit!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never had mangoes, but I've seen them in the produce section of the grocery store. I should branch out.

Creations By Cindy said...

I love mangoes. My youngest daughter introduced me the taste of them years ago and I love them. I have never thought that you could make a sauce for your meat with them. Happy Day to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sue said...

Ooh I love mangos, though I've not had one for a while. Take care, Sue xx

Debbie said...

i adore mangos, they are juicy and delicious!!

many thanks for all of your lovely and supportive comments. i am definitely getting there!!

Kim said...

We love mangos! This is one of our favorite ways to eat them:

https://www.closetcooking.com/chicken-and-mango-guacamole-wrap/

Have a good evening!

Teresa said...

Me encantan los mangos. Besos.

DVArtist said...

True, there is nothing as good as a ripe mango. I never thought to put it with cod. Great idea.

Crafty Green Poet said...

When I lived in Malawi, the first year I discovered a green skinned mango which was horrible but the second year i discovered an orange skinned mango which was delicious!

Phil Slade said...

I love mangoes even though it needs great skill to slice one properly. You should see the experts in Sri Lanka, ten seconds with a very sharp knife and it's all yours for pennies.

Martha said...

I love mangoes! I certainly think they are magical!

Jeanie said...

That looks delicious -- the quinoa/mango. Yum!

I'm very behind reading and probably won't comment on everything till I catch up but thank you SO much for your visit and good words for Rick! Things will be back to normal soon, I hope.