Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 November 2022

Poppy Appeal Wall: Veterans stories shared on installation


The red wall of poppies shares the stories of veterans who have been helped by the Royal British Legion

A wall of poppies featuring the stories of those who served in the armed forces has been unveiled in London. The Royal British Legion (RBL) launched its annual poppy appeal with the installation in central London. The poppy became a symbol of remembrance for those killed in World War One and is now often worn as a tribute to those still serving.

D-Day veteran Bernard Morgan, 98, was among those who shared their experience of the armed forces on the wall. Mr Morgan was a codebreaker during World War Two and became the youngest RAF sergeant to land on Gold Beach in Normandy on 6 June 1944.

The red wall covered in paper flower tributes, dedicated to military personnel and their families, was recently unveiled in Hay's Galleria. Veterans who have been helped by the charity are featured on the wall and the public is being invited to pick the paper flowers from the installation to reveal their stories.

Clive Jones, another contributor, said it was wonderful and he was "very proud to be here". The former Welsh Guardsman who was blinded in an unprovoked assault 21 years ago said: "Adjusting to civilian lifestyle really wasn't easy and the Royal British Legion has been there for me and my family since the start."

Wearing a poppy is a "mark of respect and pride" said the veteran, adding that: "I think it's very important that you wear the poppy and donate where you can."

More to see and read here

Remembrance Sunday 2022 is on the 13th of November. Remembrance Sunday is held in the United Kingdom as a day to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts. It is held on the second Sunday in November (the Sunday nearest to 11 November, Armistice Day, the anniversary of the end of hostilities in World War I in 1918)


The poppy is worn around the time of Remembrance Sunday
(traditionally from All Souls' Day (2 November)
until the later of; Remembrance Day (11 November) or Remembrance Sunday)

Many of our local shops have poppies and collection boxes on display.
Eddie and I always wear our poppies at this time of year.

We will remember them, and say thank you to the brave men and women,
past and present who fight to preserve our freedoms.

All the best Jan

23 comments:

Tom said...

...for us it's Veterans Day, but I like the term Remembrance Day better.

Valerie-Jael said...

Great to see that people have not forgotten those who gave their lives and health for our safety. Valerie

Jo said...

What a wonderful commemoration. Archie's been to the groomers today for a haircut and he came home with a poppy attached to his collar.

Jeanie said...

That wall of poppies is beautiful. I agree with Tom -- I like the term Remembrance Day better, too. I've been reading a bit on WWI and boy -- what a great tragedy it was.

Sandi said...

Oh my. God bless you.

Iris Flavia said...

I still have an empty bag of Australian poppie-seeds a friend gave me as good-bye pressie 2015.
It was a legacy to 100 years Gallipoli. There were also white poppies for nurses (and animals).
Even the prime minister, who came to Perth, wore one.
Beautiful but so sad! If we could only start to live in peace...

Lori Miller said...

Thank you for sharing this.

Elephant's Child said...

Lest we forget...

Carla from The River said...

Thank you for sharing. I do love how your nation stays true to the tradition of 11/11, year after year.
Bless our Veterans.. thank you again for this very important post.
Carla

The Happy Whisk said...

Gone but not forgotten.

bobbie said...

Beautiful post ~

DeniseinVA said...

This is a wonderful article. I am looking at a collection of poppies that I have collected over the years, and they have a permanent place on my bookshelf near where I sit. I honor my own Dad, and other family members by keeping them there all year round. I dust them off and I think of them and all others who will always be remembered, never forgotten, for their ultimate sacrifice. Thanks so much for this lovely tribute and all the best.

William Kendall said...

I'm wearing them now.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I like how the vibrancy of the poppies sticks to the mind... Lest we forget.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My grandfather always wore a poppy leading up to Veterans Day, which is also Armistice Day in your world. We need to respect our Veterans. They have given so much for us. Thanks for this, Jan.

Margaret D said...

Lovely post and thanks for doing it and sharing.

Angie said...

Jan - thanks for your recent comment on my blog. We just returned last night from the UK and I am catching up after taking a blogging break since October 16. We bought our poppies and wore them while we were there. I was also delighted to find a cross-stitch pattern for a poppy bookmark in a gift shop - I was able to complete it before our return, and I plan to give it to my best friend, an avid reader. It will probably show up on my blog sometime soon!

Kay said...

We recognize November 11th as Veteran's Day. It's important to understand and remember the sacrifices of the soldiers who went to fight for us.

carol l mckenna said...

tugs at my heart ~ beautiful post and photo to honor Veterans ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

Bonito homenaje. Besos.

Conniecrafter said...

Such a great way to honor the Veterans, Growing up in my small town they would sell them on the corner and the grown ups would wear them. I just don't see it as much the older I have gotten.

Snowbird said...

Beautifulxxx

Dewena said...

Today is our Veteran's Day, it was such an important day to my father and he always taught us to honor it. When I was in elementary school we always bought a poppy then. I wonder if that's still done in schools here.