Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 October 2013

Celeriac Lowcarb Mega Star.

This thread posted in June 2011 gets so many hits I thought I would post it again.

Celeriac is one of the lowcarb mega stars. Much tastier than potatoes, lowcarb and unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight. Collins Gem calorie counter states flesh only boiled 1.9 grams of carb per 100 grams.

Celeriac may be used raw or cooked. It has a tough, furrowed, outer surface which is usually sliced off before use because it is too rough to peel. Celeriac has a celery flavour, and is often used as a flavouring in soups and stews; it can also be used on its own, usually mashed, or used in casseroles, gratins and baked dishes. It can be roasted like a potato, giving it a crispy edge.

Celeriac is not available in some supermarkets. I get ours from Waitrose who sell two types ordinary and organic. 


Celeriac Dauphinoise
1 celeriac
300ml double cream
100 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Dried mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Optional 2 cloves garlic

Cut the celeriac into quarters then peel. Slice the celeriac into 5 mm thick pieces. Place a layer in a baking dish and add some double cream and dried herbs, salt and pepper. Continue layering up. Place in a hot oven 200 centigrade and cook for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and add a layer of grated cheddar cheese (optional). Place back in oven and cook until cheese is golden brown. Serves 4



One of our favourite foods this dish goes with anything, meat, fish and even tastes great warmed up for breakfast with a couple of poached eggs and some mushrooms, or try with some kippers, great grub at anytime for sure and won’t raise BG.

Eddie

9 comments:

tess said...

ooh, gotta try this recipe! i love celeriac -- wish it weren't so expensive. ...i wonder how hard it is to grow?

Lowcarb team member said...

I fully agree about the wonders of celeriac. The sad thing is it’s often so difficult to find in the shops, Sainsbury's has it at the moment. A few months ago I posted about growing my own celeriac. This worked very well I am just sorry we didn't plant more of them. It is very versatile, easy to cook and although it has a good flavour it is quite subtle so it goes with many things.
Kath

Anonymous said...

I love a classic celeriac remoulade: finely grated / julienned celeriac, plenty of mayo, some mustard, lemon juice, and s&p. Most delicious! I make mayo with macadamia oil - extremely low in o6.
Michael

Lowcarb team member said...

Very easy to grow Tess, once the plants take root open up the tops so the sun can get to the plant. As they grow remove leaves feed with liquid manure. They were ready to eat after ten weeks.

Kath

tess said...

i'll have to give them a try next year! :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Celeriac (and swede) are amongst my favourite vegetables but I can be a bit lazy! Hence Eddie always chops and cooks these two for me - I've cut my finger before now - weak excuse I know.LOL

Enjoy this "mega star"

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

I get my husband to do them for me too Jan, otherwise by the time I've finished 'fighting' with them I
can't be bothered cooking them.

Butternut squash is another difficult one.

Kath

Lowcarb team member said...

We must give Butternut Squash a try, it's not a vegetable we have, don't know why! I don't think it's too carby/starchy, will have to check it out.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

I make a nice blended Thai soup that contains butternut squash and I've found a portion of that OK on my levels although you do need a very sharp knife to prepare the squash just like celeriac.

Paul