Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 March 2019

Oreos Cookie Biscuits : Keto / Low Carb Recipe


One of our Grandsons has a particular liking for Oreo's as an after-school treat - but Grandma, 'Oreo's' are very moreish, he will say - and yes they are!

I was so pleased to see this Keto/Low Carb recipe suggestion, because each individual cookie is less than 1 net carb each! Amazing …


Servings: 30-40 Cookie Sandwiches 

Ingredients: 
Cookies
2 1/4 cups almond or hazelnut flour
3 tablespoons coconut flour
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Filling
4 oz. cream cheese – softened
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered Swerve (you can grind granulated Swerve in a spice grinder) 


Method: 
Pre-heat oven to 350º F  180º C   Gas mark 4-moderate 
In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, cream together the Swerve and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add egg and vanilla, mix until fully combined.
Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Roll out dough between two sheets of waxed paper to a rectangle about 1/8 of an inch thick. Using a circle cutter, cut out as many cookies as you can. Place them onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Re-roll out cookie dough until you run out!
Bake cookies for 12 minutes. Let cool completely before filling - important!

To make filling:
Using a food processor, cream together cream cheese, and butter.
Mix in vanilla extract.

Gradually mix in powdered Swerve.

The ENTIRE batch has about 34 net carbs. So the individual cookies are less than 1 net carb each!

Yes, these are low carb … but please do not eat too many!!!

If you are new to the keto/low carb lifestyle you may be wondering about the purpose of the xanthan gum? It's that Xanthan gum improves gluten free baking. It mimics gluten to make your final product not crumbly. It’s not necessary but it will be better with it.

Please see original recipe and more here
Need help with weight/measurement conversion see here


now time to put the kettle on


If you are just starting a low carb diet/lifestyle you may feel confused with which low carb flours to use. You may never have used any of them before and how to use them properly can be daunting. Low carb flours do not behave like wheat flour, and how to use them in your old regular high carb recipes is a common question. Of course you may also be interested, or want to know more about them. If that is the case then Libby at 'Ditch The Carbs' site has a very good guide, and you can read it here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I like to use these for a crumb crust for cheese cakes

DUTA said...

Grain free? That sounds good, as grains are full of bacteria.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds great, who doesn't love oreos? Valerie

ANNA said...


Hola pase por tu blog a saludarte me pasaron tu blog.
Gracias por comportir.
Besos


http://anna-historias.blogspot.com/2019/03/tu-palabra.html?m=1

Catarina said...

Oreos!!! It has been ages...
I would have 6 of those this very moment!
: )

Gosia said...

yummy love from Poland

angela said...

They sound yummy. I might have to make some and check them out myself. Thanks

Christine said...

Jan the puzzle answer is 72, there are 4 sets of 18 pencils, may help to count the erasers. Thanks for trying!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Whenever I visit here I get hungry. No matter what the recipe is.

God bless.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Wow! 1 gram of carbs??!! That is amazing, and a great treat!

Lowcarb team member said...

Christine said...
Jan the puzzle answer is 72, there are 4 sets of 18 pencils, may help to count the erasers. Thanks for trying

Hi Christine,
Many thanks for coming across and letting me know the answer … at least I said over 50 LOL!!!
It was a good puzzle.

Link to Christine's blog here https://cmlk79.blogspot.com/
and look for the pencil puzzle

All the best Jan

Lee said...

I'll have to give this recipe to a good friend of mine who is on the Keto Diet....just in case she's not come across it.

Tom said...

...now this is something to try.

Pam said...

You know...I am a sucker. I like sugar and I like flour. I am trying to back off a lot of that again but I just love to enjoy what I am eating and most of that stuff on the Keto diet just don't sound that good to me. HAHA

Martha said...

What a fun recipe! I should give this a try. So much better than store bought.

Sandra said...

These sound yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting how creative people are, I love this!

Margaret D said...

Interesting Jan.

mamasmercantile said...

Just checking to see if I have all the ingredients, they are definitely one I want to try.

Carol Blackburn said...

Well, this recipe seems easy enough. Was never one to eat Oreo cookies so will probably skip make this. My grandson loved Oreos, but I've been having him taste test things like cinnamon muffins (which he loved as well) and he tells me he really doesn't like the taste of the coconut or almond flour. But, he eats it though so he doesn't hurt my feelings. I guess I better stop using him as my tester. I love the foods so that has to be good enough. Enjoy your day.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I am not much of a cookie person, I do like sweets sometimes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Oh these sound fantastic. I haven't had an Oreo in years since I don't like to eat things that I can't pronounce the ingredients of. They were a favorite cookie of my childhood!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

They sounds so yummy Jan but my mission is to cut out snacks altogether until I lose that five kilos.. not sure how that's going to go 😀😀

baili said...

thank you for sharing the favorites of your precious grandson dear Jan!

i loved it and recipe sound not much tough either

yes few of these flour are not familiar to me

Jeanie said...

Well, this one could be trouble! What's not to love with an oreo!

Chris Lally said...

Oh, boy. Who can eat just one? Thanks for such a wonderful recipe, Jan!
And I love that kettle :) Would love to find one like it!

Kezzie said...

That's a good idea!!! Avoids all that plastic packaging too!

Kim said...

Jan, these look amazing! I'm going to share this post on my Facebook page for those looking for a their own low carb Oreo fix! Thanks for sharing it with me and for the kinds comments on my site, as always! :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you Jan! Looks great!