Total Pageviews

Friday 22 March 2019

Some Effective Ways to Increase Your Vitamin D Levels

Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that your body needs for many vital processes, including building and maintaining strong bones. Low vitamin D intake is considered a major public health concern across the globe. In fact, vitamin D deficiency is estimated to affect 13% of the world’s population.


What is vitamin D?
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that primarily aids calcium absorption, promoting growth and mineralization of your bones. It’s also involved in various functions of your immune, digestive, circulatory, and nervous systems. Emerging research suggests that vitamin D may help prevent a variety of illnesses, such as depression, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. However, vitamin D’s relationship to these conditions is still poorly understood. 

How much do you need? 
There is significant debate within the scientific community about how much vitamin D your body needs. While the U.S. National Academy of Medicine considers 600–800 IU of daily vitamin D to be sufficient for the majority of the population, the U.S. Endocrine Society recommends 1,500–2,000 IU per day. The Reference Daily Intake (RDI) is currently set at 600-800 IU of vitamin D for adults, based on the U.S. National Academy of Medicine’s recommendations. The optimal blood level of vitamin D is not concretely established but likely falls between 20 and 50 ng/ml. The U.S. National Academy of Medicine further suggests that a daily intake up to 4,000 IU of vitamin D per day is safe for most people, although much higher doses may be temporarily necessary in order to raise blood levels in some individuals. Although toxicity is rare, it is best to avoid long-term vitamin D doses in excess of 4,000 IU without supervision from a qualified healthcare professional. 

Here are 7 effective ways to increase your vitamin D levels.

Spend time in sunlight
Your skin can produce large quantities of vitamin D on its own when exposed to the sun’s UV-B rays. However, many factors affect this process.

Consume fatty fish and seafood
Fatty fish and seafood are among the foods highest in vitamin D, though exact vitamin content may vary depending on the type and source of the food in question. 

Eat more mushrooms
Much like humans, mushrooms produce vitamin D when exposed to UV light. Wild mushrooms — or commercially grown ones treated with UV light — have the greatest vitamin D levels. 

Include egg yolks in your diet
Free-range and pastured eggs are a great source of vitamin D, as chickens with access to sunlight produce more vitamin D in their eggs than those that remain indoors.

Eat fortified foods
Vitamin D is often added to food staples such as milk to increase intake of this nutrient.

Take a supplement
Vitamin D supplements vary in dosage. That said, the amount you need depends on your current vitamin D levels. Supplements are often needed if you don’t obtain enough vitamin D from food or sunlight. Having your vitamin D levels checked before supplementing is the best way to pick the appropriate dose.

Try a UV lamp
You can purchase lamps that emit UV-B radiation to stimulate vitamin D production. However, they can be expensive and dangerous if used for more than 15 minutes at a time.

The bottom line
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that many people around the world don’t get enough of. That said, you can boost your vitamin D levels by getting more sun exposure, eating foods rich in vitamin D, and/or taking supplements. If you suspect you’re low in this essential nutrient, consult with a health professional to get your levels checked.


Words and picture above taken from an article by Ansley Hill RD LD
Read it in full with all related links here 

Related post
Signs and Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency - more to read here 

Regular readers will know that a variety of articles, and recipe ideas, are within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Tom said...

...'D' lightful.

mxtodis123 said...

I was diagnosed as vitamin D deficient not too long ago. I think many of us are. Great information. Thank you.

CJ Kennedy said...

I didn't know that about mushrooms. And you have that delicious Greek Roasted Mushroom recipe.

Pam said...

Since having gastric bypass I have a hard time getting enough good food in since I need to focus on my protein most of all, but chewable Vit D is great! Thanks for all the info you provide us with.

My name is Erika. said...

I know all about this right now. My UV light isn't working at the moment and I am sun deprived for sure. Thanks for this very informative post. I learned some new things. Happy weekend.

Jeanie said...

Nice info, Jan. I take Vit. D. so the info is extra useful. I'd like to take less!

I'm so behind with blogs, I'm not sure I'll ever catch up. But thank you so much for your visits. Appreciated more than you know.

NanaDiana said...

I love getting my Vit D through exposure to the sun---something we severely lack in the Midwest for much of the year. I do best on bright sunny days-happy/mood wise, too. xo Diana

happyone said...

I drink lots of milk and with my daily walk I think I get enough.

Miss Val's Creations said...

There is nothing like sunshine on the skin! I feel like I am taking in more vitamin D naturally these days living in a climate where we can take sunny walks throughout the winter.

It's me said...

Yeah we have beautiful spring weather here in Holland .....lovely weekend enjoy Ria 🌞🌞🌞

Barb said...

I actually take 5,000 IU of D one day and 10,000 the next alternately as prescribed by my DR. I'm bundled up a lot at high altitude so have little skin sun exposure, and though I eat plenty of D rich foods (not eggs), my levels do not remain high enough without supplementation. I have a blood test to check for levels yearly. I suggest blood work before supplementation so you know if you're deficient and how much you might need. If you supplement above the recommended dosage, yearly blood work is advisable. Your post is a good reminder that people should have their D level checked.

Jo said...

Some good information there.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I take a vitamin d supplement, Jan. You have very good information as always about health concerns. Thank you for all the research it involves. The sun is shining here today, so I need to go outside and soak up some vitamin d. ♥

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Jan, I have really enjoyed this post. It came as a great shock years ago to be told that I was low in Vit D living in Australia. So clearly, as we get enough sun there, there was more to it. My Doctor told me I needed 50% of my body exposed to the sun for effective Vit D absorption and I knew the world, nor I could cope with that as a remedy! I do try to increase my vit D through my food, good job we are having mushrooms for dinner!
Wren x

Out on the prairie said...

I was taking a supplement in the winter, but hope my foods and activity work just as well.

Mary Kirkland said...

I take a Vitamin D supplement because my levels were really low.

mamasmercantile said...

I love mushrooms and eat eggs from our own hens so I am hoping that is a good start.

Zaa said...

This is such valuable information... I always take supplements...Thank you for sharing ...Big Hugs

Christine said...

Thanks for this information

William Kendall said...

Good recommendations.

Martha said...

Such an important vitamin. Thanks for all the wonderful information!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The conundrum is that exposure to the sun is both beneficial and carcinogenic.

Conniecrafter said...

I have to take supplements in order to keep my levels ok, along with what I eat and trying to get 30 minutes of walking outside a day.

Bob Bushell said...

Thanks for info.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I'd recently been thinking about Vitamin D, thanks for the info.

Snowbird said...

How informative! I must take more vitamin D.xxx

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, great infos!

Magic Love Crow said...

Great information Jan! Thank you!

baili said...

dear Jan you are such an angle :)

thank you sooo much for great sharing ,your posts are very important and useful for ignorant like me :)
blessings to you and yours

bella hellen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.