Total Pageviews

Monday 11 October 2021

Apple Cake, the lower carb way


Sharing a recipe from Karen at Fork-Freedom, she says, "Everything you love about Autumn/Fall in one recipe! Enjoy the warmth of the cinnamon, the sweetness of the apples, and slight hints of lemon. A lower carb, grain free and sugar-free recipe suggestion.

Ingredients
8 servings
1 1/4 cup (140 g) blanched almond flour
1/4 cup (24 g) coconut flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. sea or kosher salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
1/4 cup (56g) butter or ghee, room temp.
1/2 cup xylitol or Swerve powdered
1/4 cup juice from lemon (about 1 and 1/2 lemons)
4 eggs, room temp
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Caramel sauce drizzle (optional and so good!)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch Bundt pan with oil (well)
2. In a small bowl, add almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Put aside.
3. In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, add the room temperature butter and sweetener (xylitol or Swerve). Beat on high for 3 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
4. Turn the mixer to medium high and add 1 egg at a time, making sure it’s incorporated into the batter before adding the next. When all eggs are added, add the vanilla.
5. Add half of the lemon juice. Add the dry mixture to the bowl, mix and then add the remaining lemon juice.
6. Fold in the apples with a spatula. Batter should be light and airy. Add to the Bundt pan and spread to even out the top.
7. Bake for 35 minutes until edges are slightly brown and toothpick comes out clean.
8. Place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take the cake out of the pan by placing the cooling rack over the pan and flipping it over.
Please see original recipe, and more, here

 

Low Carb Flours
Many 'low carbers' use almond flour and coconut flour, but if you are just starting a low carb diet/lifestyle you may feel confused with which low carb flours to use. You may never have used any of them before and how to use them properly can be daunting. Low carb flours do not behave like wheat flour, and how to use them in your old regular high carb recipes is a common question.
More about Low Carb Flours (and Low Carb Cake ideas) can be seen here


Related Posts
Apples - Five Health Benefits - see here
A is for Apples - How do you eat yours? - see here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

39 comments:

Tom said...

...a nice autumn treat.

Mary Kirkland said...

That sounds really good.

Christine said...

Looks delicious!

J.P. Alexander said...

Se ve una receta muy rica. Muchas gracias por ponerla de ley la hago. Te mando un beso

sandy said...

Looks so good. My sister is visiting tomorrow for a few days and husband made a lemon pound cake. This would have been a good choice also.

Debbie said...

this looks so pretty and sounds delicious!! add a cup of hot tea and i am in heaven!!

Lorrie said...

Apple cake is a favourite around here!

Margaret D said...

That cake looks and sounds amazing, now I would love a little piece seeing it's afternoon tea time down here.

Elephant's Child said...

That sounds and looks very good indeed.

Hilly Nicolay said...

Autumn, apples, cinnamon, they belong together.
You get warm inside.

Have a nice week and all the best,
Hilly

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks great! Have a wonderful week, Valerie

Phil Slade said...

Last year we had an abundance of apples from the garden. All the neighbours enjoyed our bakers. This year - zilch. This was after an autumn/winter prune of the tree, perhaps too drastic. The moral? Look after your tree.

eileeninmd said...

Looks delicious, I will save this recipe.
Thanks for sharing!
Enjoy your day, have a happy new week.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Adoro bolo de maçã.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

CJ Kennedy said...

Yum!

R's Rue said...

Yum

My name is Erika. said...

This looks delicious. I really wish I wasn't allergic to almonds so I could go lower carb. Happy new week Jan and Eddie.

Caroline said...

It's looking delicious.

kathyinozarks said...

Sounds delicious-I bake allot with keto sweeteners now

Bill said...

Looks great! Enjoy your week.

Ela said...

I love apple pie so please give me a large portion for my morning coffee!
Have a happy new week !

William Kendall said...

Looks tasty!

happyone said...

Yummy - that would be perfect for my evening snack. :)

Rose said...

Sounds good!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think I'll try this recipe! I love apples and eat part of one every day. This sounds so wonderful! Thank you! I'll let you know if I make it! Hugs!

Laura. M said...

buenísimo, me encanta.
Buen martes.
Un abrazo.

Jules said...

This sounds delicious. X

carol l mckenna said...

Oh this apple cake looks and sounds delish! ~ Thanks ~ Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

This N That said...

Love Apple cake..Always moist

Bob Bushell said...

A loaf of mix that bread and apples, yummy.

Sue said...

Ooh this looks delicious, apple and cinnamon, always a winning combo! Have a great week x

Snowbird said...

Oh my, how delicious that looks.xxx

Gloria Baker said...

this sounds absolutely delicious !! send you hugs and love

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I DID IT! Today was one of my son's birthday (he's 53 today) and he lives far far away but I always celebrate all of my family's birthdays. So I baked the cake! Oh my! It was delicious, very hard to stop eating it though! Thanks again for the recipe!

Lowcarb team member said...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...
I DID IT! Today was one of my son's birthday (he's 53 today) and he lives far far away but I always celebrate all of my family's birthdays. So I baked the cake! Oh my! It was delicious, very hard to stop eating it though! Thanks again for the recipe!

Many thanks for your feedback.
I am so pleased you enjoyed the cake, which is so perfect for this time of year :)

Happy Birthday Wishes for your son.

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

I'm making this one with my mom! Thanks Jan! Big Hugs!

Conniecrafter said...

sounds like a great fall recipe!

baili said...

this is yummy recipe dear Jan ,i loved this one it sounds easy and supper delicious :)
thank you so much for sharing .blessings!

Teresa said...

Se ve buenísimo. Un beso.