Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 October 2021

Apples - Five Health Benefits

"Apples are packed with vitamins, antioxidants and fibre, apples are one of our favourite healthy fruits. Registered nutritionist Nicola Shubrook explains what else makes apples so good for us.


What are apples?
Cheap and readily available in the UK, apples come in an array of colours depending on the variety (of which there are many) from pale yellow and green through to deep red. Their taste and texture vary too, from juicy to firm and sweet to tangy. Due to the large variety available, you can buy British apples pretty much all year round, but traditionally apples are in season in the UK from September to February.

Nutritional Benefits of Apples
One medium apple contains approximately:
51 kcal/215 KJ
6g protein
5g fat
6g carbohydrates
2g fibre
100mg potassium
6mg vitamin C

What are the 5 top health benefits of apples?
1. May lower cholesterol
Apples contain pectin, a natural fibre found in plants. Recent research by the European Journal of Nutrition found that eating pectin-rich whole apples had a cholesterol-lowering effect in healthy volunteers, compared to apple juice. A study by the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics also showed that consuming around 75g of dried apple (approximately two apples) helped to reduce cholesterol in postmenopausal women.

2. May protect against diabetes
Apples are low on the glycaemic index (GI) thanks to their fibre content. This, together with their high flavonoid content, may help to improve insulin sensitivity, which is important both for weight management and preventing diabetes.

3. May prevent obesity
Animal studies have shown that pectin extracted from apples may help regulate the gut microbiome (beneficial gut bacteria), which in turn may help prevent obesity and other inflammatory disorders. Studies on humans also look promising, but more research is needed.

4. May protect against heart disease
Apples are rich in polyphenols, protective plant compounds, one of which is a flavonoid called quercetin. Research by the American Journal for Clinical Nutrition found that those with higher quercetin levels (mainly through eating apples) had a lower risk of several chronic diseases including heart disease and even asthma.

5. May be beneficial for bone health
Fruit and vegetable intake are thought to be associated with greater bone density and improved bone health. Findings from a study on healthy women suggested apples, in particular, may minimise the amount of calcium lost from the body and hence improve bone strength.

Is it safe for everyone to eat apples?
Apples, along with fruits including peaches, avocados and blueberries contain natural chemicals called salicylates. Some people are sensitive to these compounds and may experience an allergic reaction, including skin rash and swelling. Some consumers, who are concerned about pesticides, may opt for organically grown apples."
You can see the above article with all relevant research links here 

The above is for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

This easy take on low carb baked apples comes together in no-time
see more details here

Related Post
A is for Apples - How do you eat yours? - see here

Regular readers will know - there is a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

44 comments:

DUTA said...

Apples have a long shelf life if properly stored - and that's a big advantage over other kinds of fruit.

Tom said...

...and they are a nice treat!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Great minds think alike. My apple post wasn't quite as informative as yours was today.

J.P. Alexander said...

Adoro las manzanas. Te mando un beso

J.P. Alexander said...

Adoro las manzanas. Te mando un beso

Elephant's Child said...

I really like apples but when I bite into the first floury one of the season I step away till the next year.

Catarina said...

Good to know!

Sami said...

We eat apples the whole year round, and I love baked apples in winter :) Have a lovely weekend

Christine said...

So good for you!

Linda said...

Raw apples make my mouth burn so I eat them cooked. Still tasty!

Practical Parsimony said...

I love Red Delicious apples best. I like to eat one raw in hand or slice and eat. Occasionally, I eat chopped apple with peeling, sliced bananas, halved green grapes, with a smidgen of Miracle Whip.

I never get mealy apples. Mine are all crisp because a produce man showed me how to pick apples from the produce department.

Margaret D said...

Interesting article to read.'The Apple Isle' - many are grown here both north and south mostly.

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy apples, I love them in all forms. Valerie

Jo said...

Apples are the fruit we eat the most of in our house. I've got a small patio apple tree and got a great harvest from it this year so we're currently munching our way through those.

Iris Flavia said...

Bought two apples for myself last week. Forgot about them when I found the rest of one - Ingo just helped himself :-)

CJ Kennedy said...

I love tart apples like Granny Smith and who doesn't love an apple pie or turnover?

My name is Erika. said...

You can't beat a nice crispy fall apple. I didn't know they were so high protein. Thanks for sharing!

linda said...

Apples are my favourite fruit, I'm enjoying eating them from my little apple tree at the moment.

Stefania said...

La saggezza dei nostri anziani la si vede dai proverbi: UNA MELA AL GIORNO LEVA IL MEDICO DI TORNO.
E il tuo post sembra proprio confermarlo.

Inger said...

I also didn't know they were so high in protein. I'm working on adding more protein to my diet, so that's good to know as I really like apples.

Aritha V. said...

I know they are so healthy. But I am allergic for them. After eating: stomach burning or cramps and more. There's a protein within the apple that is very similar to proteins found in birch tree pollen. I am first of all allergic for birch tree pollen.

But I like the smell of apple pie.
So good.

Rose said...

This is a great post...I wish I could remember all I learn here. You always have so much information.

Jenn Jilks said...

It sure is apple season here. I put some around my meatloaf yesterday! Yum.

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde. Sou apaixonado por maçãs. Aqui no Brasil tem época que elas são muito caras. Bom final de semana.

Laura. M said...

Rica y saludable fruta.
Buen fin de semana para Todos.
Un abrazo.

Giorgio said...

That's an interesting article about apples' health benefits! 🍏🍎🍏 Thanks for sharing! Great to hear apples are good for cholesterol levels. I remember you shared a recipe about a cake made with apples.
Have a nice weekend ☀️

Anonymous said...

And they are filling. I like to eat one for lunch so I’m not hungry later and tempted by less nutritious/higher caloric snacks.

William Kendall said...

I've always liked apples.

Lee said...

Along with my daily dose of oranges (and during the season, mandarins, I have an apple a day. I've always a good supply of them...I've always got a good supply of fruit on hand, and in hand.

Take care. :)

J C said...

I wish I liked apples more than I do. I'm making a dedicated effort to eat more of them now that I have read the benefits.

happyone said...

I like my apples best just eating them as is.
Favorite kind is Honey Crisp.

peppylady (Dora) said...

They could be some truth an apple day keeps the doctor away.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Margarida Pires said...

Eu adoro maças cozidas!
Um doce beijinho!
Megy Maia💙👄💙

Divers and Sundry said...

I've had a taste for Fuji apples lately and have been eating them with peanut butter.

Jeanie said...

This is apple season here -- so many good benefits! I love them all!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan,:=) This is a good article. I had a good harvest of this healthy fruit this year, and store them upside down on shelves in my pantry. They should last a couple of months. I eat one every day, and never tire of them like some fruit. The harvest was in September, and they are all Granny Smith. my favourite apple. Thank you for all the information about themm.

Ananka said...

I do like apples but my little girl loves them!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

AsI read this, I'm enjoying an apple, Jan. It's definitely the season for them from local farms and my 2 favorite eating apples are honey crisp and gala. This week I will be using Granny Smith apples with butternut squash and a pork loin in the crockpot - yeah to autumn.

aussie aNNie said...

Love our apples and so does my pup....x

Creations By Cindy said...

Wonderful information. I love apples with peanut butter. My fav are the juice red apples. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Flighty said...

I generally eat an apple every day. I don't mind which variety as long as they're crisp, juicy and not sharp. xx

DVArtist said...

We always have apples here.

Teresa said...

Las manzanas me gustan, pero como pocas.... tengo que comer más. Besos.

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks for another informative post! Love!! Big Hugs!