The first cupcake can be traced back to 1796, when a recipe for "a cake to be baked in small cups" was written in American Cookery by Amelia Simmons.
In the early 19th century, there were two different uses for the name cup cake or cupcake. Before muffin tins were widely available, the cakes were often baked in individual pottery cups, ramekins, or molds. They got their name from the cups they were baked in. The name "fairy cake" is a description of its size. English fairy cakes vary in size more than American cupcakes. They are normally smaller and are rarely topped with much icing.
The above words, and more, can be seen here
I first came across this recipe back in 2018. It is from Ewelina, who is a Type 1 diabetic and enjoys baking. It's a quick and easy low carb recipe, that can be enjoyed anytime, but with Halloween approaching could be perfect for a Halloween get-together. These are moist, dense and truly delicious low carb chocolate cupcakes, that will amaze everyone. If your Covid restrictions allow, why not share them with a few friends, they are sure to enjoy them ...
9g carbs per cake
60 g ground almond
40 g soy flour
2 tbsp. cocoa
100 g Xylitol
120 ml full fat milk
40 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp vanilla extract
125 g mascarpone cheese
150 ml whipping cream
1 ½ tbsp. xylitol
1. Preheat oven to 170 C and prepare 6 muffin cases (if you use smaller, cupcake cases you will need around 10 – 12)
2. Place the flour, cocoa powder, xylitol, baking powder, salt and butter and using electric mixer beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3. Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract in a jug and slowly pour into the flour mixture. Beat to combine it for couple of minutes.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Set aside to cool down.
5. For the topping whip the cream with xylitol. Add mascarpone cheese and combine together. Using piping bag decorate the cupcakes. You can use some pomegranate for decoration
I hope you enjoy Cup Cake Day ...
All the best Jan