Total Pageviews

Friday 31 March 2023

Vitamin C is an essential nutrient

Vitamin C : Did You Know ?

Did you know, that Vitamin C is an essential nutrient
Vitamins and minerals are nutrients your body needs in small amounts to work properly and stay healthy. Most people should get all the nutrients they need by having a varied and balanced diet, although some people may need to take extra supplements.

This article looks at:-
"Vitamin C, which is also known as ascorbic acid, and has several important functions.
These include:
helping to protect cells and keeping them healthy
maintaining healthy skin, blood vessels, bones and cartilage
helping with wound healing

Lack of vitamin C can lead to scurvy.

Good sources of vitamin C
Vitamin C is found in a wide variety of fruit and vegetables.
Berries
Blackcurrants
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cantaloupe
Cauliflower
Grapefruit
Kiwi fruit
Leafy greens
Mango
Oranges
Orange Juice
Papaya
Peppers
Pineapple
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Squash
Strawberries
Watermelon


Some examples of foods containing high levels of vitamin C. Image from here

How much vitamin C do I need?
Adults aged 19 to 64 need 40mg of vitamin C a day.

You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need from your daily diet.

Vitamin C cannot be stored in the body, so you need it in your diet every day.

What happens if I take too much vitamin C?
Taking large amounts (more than 1,000mg per day) of vitamin C can cause:
stomach pain
diarrhoea
flatulence

These symptoms should disappear once you stop taking vitamin C supplements.

What does the Department of Health and Social Care (UK) advise?
You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need by eating a varied and balanced diet.

If you take vitamin C supplements, do not take too much as this could be harmful.

Taking less than 1,000mg of vitamin C supplements a day is unlikely to cause any harm."
The above information taken from article here


The above is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

Broccoli a good source of Vitamin C
Don't throw those broccoli stalks away - more to read here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

35 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love just about anything with vitamin C in it! Probably the one nutrient I get the most of!

Elephant's Child said...

I did know that, and my daily diet includes it.

My name is Erika. said...

I try to get my vitamin C every day. It really makes me want an orange right now-smile!

Tom said...

...other than Brussels sprouts I love and eat them all.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Lot of great way of getting your C in.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Christine said...

Good information thanks.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yes! I am very happy with these fruits and veggies.

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy cierto, siempre trato de tomarla. Te mando un beso.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Fun60 said...

I hear conflicting advise about vit C . I think my diet should provide enough but have been told that now I'm in my 70s I would benefit from a supplement as it is needed to ensure my body can absorb the iron from my food.

Margaret D said...

Good post Jan.
Can't understand why people take Vit C tablets when all those foods are available most of the year, well they are down here.

roentare said...

When one is dieting, you would need more Vitamin C for sure

Jo said...

I like just about everything on that list so I'm sure I should be getting the amount I need.

eileeninmd said...

Great information and post on the vitamin c.
Looks like a great choice of veggies and fruits.
Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Shari Burke said...

When I volunteered in a food bank, we used to sort through, trim, and package food donated from grocery stores and other places. We used to have to cut off the broccoli stalks and package the florets for people to take in the food pantry. My coworkers and I used to divide up the stalks among those of us who wanted some, otherwise they would go into the pig bucket. I don't think I ever realised before then that people often tossed the stalks.

They used to sell prepackaged 'broccoli slaw' in the US, which was shredded broccoli stalk and carrot.

Donna said...

Hubby and I take it every day...supplements.
hugs
Donna

CJ Kennedy said...

The Sunshine Vitamin!

baili said...

thanks for such informative sharing dear Jan

it was sad to read in the Homo Sapiens about how in the beginning numerous sailors would loose their lives because the disease due to lack of vitamin C .we are lucky that we are well informed generation thankfully

Breathtaking said...

Hello:=)
Good article! I eat most of the things you mentioned because I do know it's important to get a daily dose of vitamin C.
All the best.

happyone said...

Lots of good foods so should be easy to get enough vitamin C.

Sue said...

We got a fruit and veg box from Aldi yesterday for £1.50 and it had just about every one of these in it. I shall be bouncing with health this week! Take care and have a great weekend Jan & Eddie xx

Hilly Nicolay said...

I like fruits and vegetables.
I think I'm getting enough vitamins this way...

All the best and greetings to you,
Hilly

Giorgio said...

Great post! ... I didn't know grapefruit and watermelon are good sources of vitamin C.
Have a nice weekend :-)

Chatty Crone said...

I think Vitamin C is important to your health. I'm glad so many foods have it plus I do take a little supplement of it. ☺

MELODY JACOB said...

Great post
https://www.melodyjacob.com/

Have a lovely weekend

Debbie said...

i try to get vitamin c in my diet as much as i can. but i also take a vitamin supplement!! i take d as well!!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Does the amount of vitamin c you need change after you get to 64?

William Kendall said...

Good information.

Lowcarb team member said...

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...
Does the amount of vitamin c you need change after you get to 64?

Hello and many thanks for your question.
I am not sure what the recommendations for senior adults in the UK is for daily Vitamin C.
I understand that most adults if eating the recommended foods should be able to get all the vitamin C from their daily diet.
However consideration must always be given to any interaction with any prescribed medicine you may be taking.
If you are unsure it is always best to ask the advice of your medical team.

The posts on this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

All the best Jan

Lisabella Russo said...

Wonderful article, thank you!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Thanks, Jan. I need to show Mrs B that list so that she knows I don't have to endure sprouts anymore. It's also nice to know a good reason why I should cut back on them anyway, because they are such a good source of vitamin C. :-)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables but now and then I still take some Vitamin C ... great post- thanks

Teresa said...

Creo que tomo la dosis necesaria de los alimentos, todos me gustan. Besos.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Many of the foods we eat and enjoy contain lots of Vitamin C.

Conniecrafter said...

I have been eating a bunch of that but you know a good orange sounds good right now :)