Total Pageviews

Monday 19 February 2024

Did You Know!

Let's start the week off with a 'Did You Know' post!

Did you / do you know these five facts?

1. Hawaiian pizza is a Canadian invention.
Sam Panopoulos, a Greek immigrant and chef, came up with the idea of adding canned pineapple to pizza in 1962. Inspired by Chinese sweet and sour cooking, he introduced this unique combination at the Satellite Restaurant in Ontario.

Despite initial scepticism, Hawaiian pizza gained popularity worldwide once people gave it a taste. Interestingly, it’s named after the brand of canned pineapples used, not Hawaii itself.

2. The smallest bone in your body is in your ear.
Known as the stapes bone, this tiny bone is, on average, 0.09 × 0.11 inches (3 × 2.5 mm) in size.

The stapes bone can be found in the middle ear of humans and many other animals. It is vital in transferring vibrations from sounds into the inner ear.

3. Only 5% of the ocean has been explored.
The ocean covers around 70% of the Earth’s surface, and it is much harder to explore than land.

As much as 20% of the ocean floor has now been mapped, thanks to advancements in sonar technologies. The reason we’ve explored so little of the ocean is that the technology needed has only developed over the last 100 years.

4. Recycling just one tin can saves enough energy to watch television for 3 hours.
That’s how important recycling is! In fact, recycling an aluminium can into a new one takes only 5% of the energy required to produce one normally.

The average person has the chance to recycle 25,000 cans in their lifetime – that’s 75,000 hours of television!

5. The average person walks the equivalent of five times around the world in their lifetime.
Unless you’re a bit of a couch potato, you will, on average, walk around 7,500 steps daily. The average person lives until they’re 80, so it works out that you’ll walk about 110,000 miles (177,027 km) in your lifetime.

The circumference of the Earth at the equator is 24,900 miles (40,072 km).

Providing you’re an average person, who takes average strides and lives an average length of time, it’s entirely possible to walk the globe five times!

~xx ooo xx~

We did have some sunshine and blue sky yesterday, so a good day to add to my walking around the world five times!

~ enjoy your day ~

This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Mari said...

Interesting facts! I'm a fan of Hawaiian pizza, the rest of my family is not.

roentare said...

Great facts to learn at beginning of the week

Tom said...

...so we have Canada to blame for pineapple on pizza!

Fun60 said...

I knew about the bone in the ear but the others were new facts to me.

Margaret D said...

Interesting facts Jan

Rustic Pumpkin said...

you are a font of knowledge!

jabblog said...

I knew number 2 and that's all. I have vague recollections of 3 and 5. All useful stuff for quizzes, I suppose, if you do that sort of thing.

Pam said...

Once upon a time, I walked all the time...A LOT. I think I walked enough for two life times!! lol.....I did not know that about the cans. I am trying to get back to recycling. Cans are the easiest. Plastic I understand, even though we do our part, actually having much recycled into something is very low....like the low percent of the ocean being explored. I had heard a long time ago that so much of the ocean we do not know. I can imagine that there are critters down there we have never seen! Course, being I don't swim and I don't like water in my face, there is ALOT I have not seen and prob never will.

eileeninmd said...

Interesting facts, thanks for sharing.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I always enjoy your blog posts like this, because I always learn something that I didn't know. - Anne (Cornucopia)

Donna said...

I already feel like I've walked at least 4 1/2 times around the world! lol
hugs
Donna

CJ Kennedy said...

Those are really fun facts.

DVArtist said...

I knew some of these but not all. Thanks for the info. Have a nice day.

Norma2 said...

Jan, I didn't know the origin of pineapple pizza. Around here there are those who love it and others who detest it. Regarding the number of steps, I tell you that I have taken the trouble to count them in my daily walk and I give: in 100m approximately 100.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Well at least I knew about number 2 !!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The daffodils make me smile!
Not liking pineapple on pizza, I like barbeque on pizza.

Carla from The River said...

Only 5% of the oceans have been explored!!!! WOW!!!!

DeniseinVA said...

This was great, I enjoyed this! Thank you Jan and all the best!

Christine said...

Fun facts and lovely daffodils!

happyone said...

Interesting facts.

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy interesante. Te mando un beso.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For once the only one I knew was the stapes.

My name is Erika. said...

These are really fun facts. Who would of thought Hawaii pizza came from Canada. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Very interesting facts. I always knew recycling was very important but didn't realise how nay hours of tv watching an aluminium can was equivalent to!

Jeanie said...

I always enjoy your "did you know" posts -- and usually I don't know! (Although I think I recently heard something about the ear bone being small!) That tin fact is amazing.

Conniecrafter said...

I didn't know any of these, I am a big recycler so I am good to know, but I have heard that all that you recycle doesn't always get recycled so that was a little hard to hear but I still do it.

Lorrie said...

Hawaiian pizza is a favourite with our grandchildren. I did not know it was invented here in Canada, but I do know it's been around for a very long time!

Teresa said...

Precioso ramo de narcisos. Besos.