Total Pageviews

Saturday 24 February 2024

Sleep - how going to bed at the same time every night is more important than getting seven hours per night

How going to bed at the same time every night is more important than getting seven hours per night

Seven hours is the optimum length of time you should be asleep, according to multiple studies. Research has long found those who sleep between six and eight hours a day are less likely to develop a host of diseases - and even live longer.

But what about bedtime?
Surprisingly, recent research suggests that maintaining a consistent sleep routine could be more beneficial than more time in a slumber.

Dr Chris Winter, neurologist, sleep expert, and host of the 'Sleep Unplugged Podcast', recommends going to bed and waking up at the same time every morning. 'In general, sleep schedules are important because our bodies work best when they're able to anticipate what's coming rather than simply react to it,' he said. 'Your body is anticipating the rest happening at a certain time. So if that's always moving around, a lot of the things that happen as a result of sleep don't happen or aren't as effective because your brain is not entirely sure when it's coming.'

A study published last month in 'The Journal of Sleep' found that keeping a regular sleep routine reduced the risk of early death by 20 percent. The researchers also noted that while the amount of time spent sleeping was important, shorter, more regular sleep was associated with a lower risk of early death than longer sleep with inconsistent bedtimes.

Dr Winter uses the example of some shift workers who regularly alternate from day to night shifts, resulting in them going to bed at inconsistent times.

However, people who consistently work night shifts will have a lower risk of health problems, as their sleep routine is regular.

Throughout the day, the body produces hormones like cortisol, which regulates stress, and serotonin, which controls mood.

In a healthy person, cortisol levels peak at around 8am, which wakes us up, and drop to their lowest at 3am the next day, before rising back to its peak five hours later.

Ideally, this 8am peak will be triggered by exposure to sunlight, if not an alarm. When it does, the adrenal glands and brain will start pumping adrenaline.

Afternoon, cortisol levels start their steady decline. Metabolism slows down, and tiredness sets in. Gradually, serotonin turns into melatonin, which induces sleepiness.

Because sleep is always changing for shift workers, their bodies can't properly regulate hormone production, which results in poor sleep, difficulty concentrating, lack of energy, and moodiness.

Don't stress if you can't fall asleep at your scheduled bedtime though.

'I think people get really worked up sometimes if they try to make their wake time or their bedtime really strict.

'The chances of you, over the next year, going to bed at 11 o'clock every night and always falling asleep in five minutes is slim to none. If you go to bed tonight at 11 o'clock, and you don't feel like you're falling asleep, I think the first thing to understand is this is normal.'

And if you do go to bed later one night, don't take a long nap to make up for it. This could make it more difficult to fall asleep when bedtime rolls around.

'The napping often perpetuates the sleep problem and turns an isolated, difficult night falling asleep into something that's much more chronic and sustained,' Dr Winter said.

The Sleep Foundation recommends winding down at the same time every night with a book, music, or warm bath to get the body used to a consistent routine.
Original article with all relevant links can be seen here 

~ xxx ooo xxx ~

I do think a night-time routine helps you to prepare and wind down for sleep. Taking time to read some pages of a good book works well for me. Have you any tips to aid a restful sleep, do please share them in the comments section. 

Please note that articles within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Interesting information
Being a 3 to 5 hour sleeper, averaging on good nights 4 hours, info how to sleep better is appreciated.
Recently, I've changed my sleep direction from facing south (feet in south) to facing north (feet in north). I'm going to post about it in a few days. I want to see how it goes for a week first. Anyway, thus far, I've been sleeping better, and longer.

Lady Caer Morganna said...

Very interesting post! I have terrible sleep patterns. Thank you for the info, Jan!!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I go bed between nine and ten. No device such as computer after 8pm. But they're time I mess up.

Mari said...

I worked nights as a nurse for quite a few years. It's hard on you. But this is something I still need to work on. I like to stay up late if I'm not working the next day and I know I should just stick to a more regular routine.

My name is Erika. said...

I feel better when I stick to a sleep schedule. I'm glad science backs that up. Happy weekend.

Dee said...

Good sleep is my biggest issue.

When we bought our house I had no idea how much night traffic there was on our street. Apparently that is when all the large tractor trailers head north. :-(

Iris Flavia said...

As a teenager I worked shifts in a food factory. Hard to cope even back then!

Chatty Crone said...

Thanks for this Jan I am going to work on it!

Anonymous said...

Interesting -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info.

For me, when it comes to sleep, my sleep is never consistent. Unfortunately, it's quite jumbled.

Tom said...

...I'll be a bit late tonight.

Angie's Recipes said...

I always go to be at the same time and fall into sleep almost at the same time, then wake up again almost at the same time...however, I don't sleep 7hrs..just 5, then an hour nap in the afternoon. So good to know about this!

Kay said...

I guess I shouldn't stress about it, but I get between 6-7 hours of sleep and I do read to fall asleep. Art on the other hand manages to fall asleep instantly and get 8+ hours of sleep every night. Sigh...

Linda said...

My brother's radio and Mama's clock that chimed on the half hour disturbed me for years. Sleep never came on nights I had to go to school. In college, I could sleep well in dorm. Getting married ruined the only peace I knew. Then, I had children and never got regular sleep. After menopause, sleep rarely comes easily. It is never regular, ever, not even naps.

I am able to almost fall asleep while walking, so I decide to lie down so as not to hurt myself.

Dying earlier? I made it to almost 78. Maybe I am an anomaly.

I read that ancient ancestors slept in two 4-hour (roughly)sessions every night. They had things to do in the middle of the night--fire tending, sex, eating, childcare, forgot what else. Industrialization made it necessary to sleep all at once. So, here we are.

roentare said...

Regularity of sleep is also important

baili said...

wonderful post dear Jan
excellent i must say because it is always full of information really essential for all of us
thankyou sooo much for sharing
blessings

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the info, sleep is so important.
Take care, have a great weekend.

Stefania said...

Sapevo di questo studio infatti cerco di andare sempre a dormire più o meno alla stessa ora, diciamo con uno scarso circa di 30 minuti 😄

Jeanie said...

I've had trouble with sleep ever since we fell back and aren't in daylight saving time. I can't wait for that to change back next month. I'm getting less sleep than I need and want to crash out too early in the evening -- if I do, I only wake earlier and that's not so good!

CJ Kennedy said...

i try to go to bed at the same time each night

happyone said...

Interesting and I agree. I go to be at the same time every night. 11:15.

Hena Tayeb said...

As someone who struggles with sleep these are great tips. Thanks for sharing.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la información. Te mando un beso.

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Stefania said...
Sapevo di questo studio infatti cerco di andare sempre a dormire più o meno alla stessa ora, diciamo con uno scarso circa di 30 minuti 😄

I knew about this study in fact I always try to go to sleep at more or less the same time, let's say with a scarce of about 30 minutes 😄


J.P. Alexander said...
Gracias por la información. Te mando un beso

Thanks for the info. I send you a kiss

mxtodis123 said...

I do go to bed at the same time every night. Problem is staying asleep. A few hours later I am up for a potty run, they struggle back to sleep only to get up for another run. 4-5 hours is the most I get.

Phil Slade said...

This winter we have found ourselves going to bed earlier, mainly because it is too shockingly expensive to have central heating on as much as we would like. This article does make a lot of sense as we have slept better. Buying a new bed with a hard mattress has also helped.

carol l mckenna said...

Great info about sleep patterns ~ I find reading in bed puts me to sleep more times than not ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bob Bushell said...

Sleep in is necessary, thanks Jan.

Snowbird said...

How fascinating. I rarely sleep well but will start going to bed at the same time each night now.xxx

Conniecrafter said...

We do try to stay on a routine with our sleeping and I think that helps a lot.
My tip for going to bed isn't a good one, well at least part of it, I know that praying is very calming, but then I usually play a matching game on my kindle and that gets me tired and I fall asleep, they say no lights before bed but that doesn't seem to effect me, I also have the light set to the lowest setting.

Teresa said...

Como siempre interesante reportaje. Gracias y besos.