Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 February 2024

'Melatonin, a hormone essential for good sleep'

Melatonin is essential for good sleep. This unique hormone is produced by the pineal gland, located in the middle of the brain, and functions with the rhythms of the sun. More melatonin is made when the sun goes down, and less when the sun comes up. Researchers say that adding melatonin to your diet may improve sleep.

In some countries taking melatonin supplements is a popular way to boost your body’s natural supply. They’re generally safe and not habit-forming, but they can interfere with some prescription medications, and may cause side effects such as headache, nausea, drowsiness, and dizziness.

However, in the UK, Melatonin is classed as a prescription-only medicine.

But, supplements may not be necessary, as researchers have found that foods high in melatonin raise the level of melatonin in the blood.

Why You Need Melatonin
A lack of sleep negatively impacts your health. It impedes learning and increases insulin resistance, which can progress to diabetes. It can also disrupt hunger hormones, meaning you may end up eating more than you normally would.

Scientists are still learning about the importance of melatonin. Although it’s best known as a sleep aid, melatonin has a range of other potential health benefits:

Sleep Restoration
There’s little evidence that melatonin is effective against chronic insomnia. But if you’re experiencing jet lag, it may help you return to a normal sleeping pattern. It can also help patients sleep before surgery.

Better Sleep Patterns in Adults
People with delayed sleep-wake phase disorder often stay awake until early morning and sleep until around noon. Melatonin may help them maintain a more normal sleeping pattern.

Better Sleep Patterns in Children
Melatonin may also help children with certain conditions that disrupt sleep. These include asthma, dermatitis, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Because melatonin is a hormone, children should not take it without a doctor's approval.

Brain Health in Older Adults
Melatonin levels naturally fall with age. Boosting them could help prevent brain disorders later in life. Both animal and human studies have discovered that melatonin could lower the risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease.

Eye Health
Melatonin performs several valuable functions in the human eye. Supplementation has shown benefits for those with age-related macular degeneration. Researchers think lower melatonin levels in older adults could contribute to the disorder.

Foods With Melatonin
No recommended dietary allowance (RDA) has been established for melatonin. When it comes to melatonin supplements, some experts recommend a dosage of around 0.5 to 3 milligrams for sleep-related issues. Higher doses may cause daytime drowsiness.

Most food databases do not list the amount of melatonin in foods, but according to available research, these six foods are good sources of melatonin:-

Tart Cherries
Tart cherry juice is one of the best-known sleep aids. Researchers have found that it increases melatonin levels in the body and enhances sleep. Keep in mind that cherry juice is high in sugar. Drinking it nightly could significantly raise your intake of calories. Eating cherries instead of drinking their juice is a healthier way of getting melatonin.


Goji Berries
Produced by a plant native to China, goji berries have been touted for their anti-aging effects. They are also high in melatonin and may improve sleep.

Eggs
Among animal products, eggs are one of the best sources of melatonin. Eggs are also highly nutritious, offering protein and iron, among other essential nutrients.


Milk
Warm milk is a traditional remedy for insomnia, so it's no surprise that it’s high in melatonin. It could be a good option if you tolerate dairy.

Fish
Fish is a better source of melatonin than other meats. The best options are oily fish like salmon and sardines, which also provide valuable omega-3 fatty acids.

Nuts
Most nuts have a good amount of melatonin. Pistachios and almonds are among the highest. Nuts also are an excellent source of many antioxidants, healthy omega-3 fats, and minerals."
Words above with relevant links can be seen here and here

Please Be Aware
Articles within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Kay said...

My doctor cautioned me about taking melatonin as a supplement. He said because our bodies make melatonin naturally, taking supplemental melatonin might make my body produce less. Sigh… I really need more sleep but I don’t know what I should do.

Kay said...

Oops. That was me, Kay of Musings. I forgot I’m on my iPad which won’t automatically identify me on blogger.

Tom said...

...last night I didn't sleep well. Good info, thanks.

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO KAY

Hello Kay
I know at times blogger plays up when many of us try to comment but this time it did recognise you :)

Yes, it is not always advisable to take melatonin as a supplement better to include foods that contain it. However, it is important to always be aware of any contra-indications with health issues/medication etc.

I know many find a bedtime tea can help, more to read here
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2018/03/six-bedtime-teas-that-may-help-you-sleep.html

Hoping you may have a good sleep tonight

All the best Jan

Mari said...

Very interesting. Here is the US, melatonin is sold over the counter. I'm a nurse and it's given to a lot of our patients.

Margaret D said...

Interesting article...we eat or ate a lot of cherries this season. I eat a fair bit of fish also...

roentare said...

You are getting me updates on melatonin and what foods contain them naturally.

Lorrie said...

Melatonin is something I used to take occasionally, but have stopped after reading that it's not all that great for me. Better to get some fresh air, drink milk, and get off the computer early in the evening. Thanks for this post!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

my insomnia is caused by medication. unfortunately they tell me there's not much I can do about it. Will happily eat cherries!

baili said...

a wonderful and very informative sharing dear Jan !

i learnt lot
thanks!
more blessings to you and loved ones

eileeninmd said...

I tried to take Melatonin, it did not work for me.
A good nights sleep is so important.
Take care, have a happy weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

This is fascinating. I've taken melatonin for jet lag, but I'm glad to see foods you can get it in. No wonder why I usually sleep so well. I drink a lot of milk. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanie said...

Interesting on the melatonin in foods. Gotta love the cherries, nuts and fish and eggs!

Christine said...

Interesting information thanks

CJ Kennedy said...

The food list is longer than I thought.

Sandi said...

Mmm...cherries!

I was up and down last night, awake at 2, 3, 4, then asleep until 8. Coulda used some cherries! 😊

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Jan, for this information and I found it interesting to learn that in the UK, Melatonin is classed as a prescription-only medicine. As a fellow blogger (Mari) noted it can be bought over the counter in the vitamins section of retail pharmacies here in the US I was reading articles about it before we ventured to abroad last year, but opted not to purchase it. It's also available in varying strengths and that was a further reason to opt out. Now, when cherries are available in the grocery store, I plan to buy some!

mxtodis123 said...

I used to take this a long time ago, but stopped. Thank you for letting me know which foods contain it naturally.

Valerie-Jael said...

Very informative, thanks. In Germany you can buy melatonin in every chemist. Valerie

Miradas desde mi lente said...

Por fortuna, no zufro de insomnio y duerme lo suficiente para cuando me levanto no me sienta cansada.
Feliz fin de semana.

jabblog said...

this is very useful to know. Thank you, Jan.

Chatty Crone said...

My husband takes melatonin - I am going to send this article to him!

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Miradas desde mi lente said...
Por fortuna, no zufro de insomnio y duerme lo suficiente para cuando me levanto no me sienta cansada.
Feliz fin de semana


Luckily, I don't suffer from insomnia and get enough sleep so that when I wake up I don't feel tired.
Happy weekend

Anonymous said...

Giorgio said ...
Great post about the importance of melatonin. And I would have never thought of eggs and cherries as source of melatonin.

https://giorgiorusso2.blogspot.com/

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I didn't know the UK only allows melatonin with a prescription. Here in the US, one can buy it just like any other vitamins / supplements. I hadn't heard anything negative about it. The only thing I heard is that taking more mg of it doesn't improve it's ability to help one's sleep, as in you don't "gain" anything by taking 20 mg instead of 5 mg. - Anne (Cornucopia)

Back2OurSmallCorner said...


Very useful information. Thank you for sharing.

Conniecrafter said...

My hubby didn't get any help taking this, but I did learn that his sleep pattern is like the sleep awake disorder so I will let him know and maybe he can talk to his doctor about that :)

Teresa said...

Siempre me gustan tus reportajes. Gracias.