Total Pageviews

Monday 15 July 2024

An Apron : Do You Wear One?

Do you wear an apron while cooking or cleaning? When preparing food, cooking, washing up etc. my apron is always on. I was recently gifted a new one and delight in wearing it. I like my aprons to have pockets, and tend to choose ones that have flowers, butterflies, spring like patterns on them. When you start looking at the variety of aprons available there really is a large choice, so many styles, in fact something to suit everyone and all ages.

My dear mum always used to wear an apron while in the kitchen, it used to hang behind the kitchen door always ready to be slipped on. My Gran used to wear a wrap-around apron, I seem to recall they were always a blue shade ... funny what memories stay in your mind.



A little more about aprons
"Since ancient times, aprons have been worn for practical, decorative, and ritualistic purposes. The name comes from the French word for a small tablecloth, naperon.

There are many different styles of aprons, from the half apron to the full bib style.

In times past, little girls often wore pinafore aprons to protect their dresses (think Raggedy Ann or Alice from Alice in Wonderland).

In ancient Crete and Egypt, aprons were worn as symbols of status and during rituals.

During the Middle Ages in Europe, aprons were worn by homemakers, tradesmen, and artisans. Colours and patterns even correlated to certain professions – English barbers wore checkered aprons, stonemasons wore white aprons, cobblers wore black aprons, butchers wore blue stripes, and solid blue was often worn by weavers, spinners, and gardeners.

In the Americas, Native Americans often wore aprons for both practical and ceremonial purposes, while colonists wore aprons to protect their clothing.

The apron is perhaps most heavily associated with the 1950s American housewife. During that time, it became a symbol of family, motherhood, stability, and abundance following the horrors of the Great Depression and the World Wars.

There were plain, practical aprons for everyday use as well as sheer or ruffled aprons for wearing over dresses during hostess duties. Many mass-produced aprons were printed with kitchen themes like pots, toasters, or spoons. Homemade aprons were also very popular at the time. 

In the 1960s, the idealization of housework fell out of favour as women began to reach outside the home for fulfilment, and the apron lost its popularity. However, it was still used as a protective garment in many professions. In fact, to this day waiters, barbers, butchers, artisans, and even X-Ray technicians regularly wear aprons made from a variety of materials (think cloth, leather, and lead).

In recent years, apron-wearing at home has also made a comeback, in part due to a revived interest in home cooking as well as the popularity of crafting and an interest in styles from the past."

now why not pop your apron on and make a
Ginger Cake
you can see the low carb recipe here


This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

33 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

I wear a smock-type apron my mother made😊

That ginger cake looks delicious!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I tend to wear an apron when preparing large dinners. I should wear one every day or I have more laundry to do. Very nice looking ginger cake!

Christine said...

I do wear an apron, have learned it saves my clothes. Yummy cake!

Tom said...

...no!

DUTA said...

I wear an apron both in the kitchen and while eating, so as to protect my clothes.
I like them cotton-made, dark-colored, and with pockets.
Thanks for reminding us about the ginger cake.

Elephant's Child said...

I am a messy person and should wear an apron more often than I do.

J.P. Alexander said...

No suelo usar delantal. Te mando un beso. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Linda said...

When I was a teen and loving to bake, I had made an apron in Home Economics. Mama told me one day that I should wear it backwards. She said I always had flour on my behind and nothing on the apron.

Margaret D said...

I wear one sometimes Jan, helps keep the clothes clean.
Nice memory there too.

linda said...

No I got out of the habit but I probably should, that cake looks yummy.

jabblog said...

I like the look and practicality of aprons but never wear one and neither did my mother. I know I would either forget to put it on, or wear it all day!

Jo said...

I've got an apron but I rarely wear it and even then, it's only when cooking. I remember my mum wearing an apron, both a full coverage one and one which tied around the waist, when I was very young but she never wore one in later years, I never asked her why she stopped.

eileeninmd said...

No, I do not even have an apron.
The ginger cake looks delicious!
Take care, enjoy your day!

George Pereira said...

Long ago, when I was in school, I used to wear an apron for my metalwork class 🙂

Ananka said...

I never wear an apron! Love the cake :-D

DrumMajor said...

I had a bib cloth apron I bought at a Mennonite farm show. When I do dishes, I get myself all wet. Found an alleged waterproof bib apron; not so much. I remember plastic aprons from the '50s. Where are they now? Finally found a plastic bib apron on Temu. It's pretty durable with good straps and comes in different colors. Now I can be really splashy when doing dishes. Linda in Kansas

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I have an apron for when I am cooking and dressed in good clothes. Any other time, I usually wearing an old tee shirt that can be splattered so I don't grab the apron.

Kay G. said...

I don't wear a "pinny". My English mother-in-law always did! I do love a ginger cake though, thanks for the recipe!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I love aprons, and have several, although I need to remember to put them on before I start cooking! I enjoyed your history of aprons. I love the color blue. Always enjoy your wonderful posts Jan, many blessings to you!

Valerie-Jael said...

Gingedr cake - yes, apron - mostly no! Sometimes I remember to wear one when I'm painting! Hugs, Valerie

HappyK said...

I wear an apron when I bake.
Funny I don't wear one when I cook - don't know why!!

Norma2 said...

Around here only older women use it, perhaps remembering that time when everyone used it.

Teresa said...

Suelo ponermelo alguna vez cuando hago dulces. Muy interesante lo que nos cuentas, no conocía sobre ello. Besos.

Carola Bartz said...

Aprons - yes, when I'm cooking! And I also have an apron that I bought many years ago in England and still wear when I'm painting. I like them. Hugs - Carola

Linda said...

I used to wear an apron back in the day when I baked things from scratch I don’t eat baked goods anymore, except an occasional gluten-free cookie.

Rose said...

I wear one when clooking! I loved reading about them...Iove making them, too. My mom always wore a half apron. I tried to comment on the post above and it would not let me...but will try again later.

Kim said...

Yes! I wear them and I make them. I'm apron obsessed!!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love to wear an apron bc otherwise my clothes are a mess when I cook ,, I try to buy pretty ones that will look nice even with company. I recently treated myself to another apron when shopping in Paris !

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have two aprons, both made for me by my sister-in-law, but I hardly ever wear them. Why not? I have no idea!

Conniecrafter said...

I do not wear an apron, although it would probably be a good thing if I did, luckily I don't tend to spill much but crafting sometimes I have little accidents :) I do have a couple I have received over the years though.

Jeanie said...

I think aprons are cute but I rarely wear one unless I'm making some really messy and spattery. This a cute one, though. (Sometimes with art, too!)

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Yes, we wear aprons in our kitchen. D says she wouldn't be without hers when she is cooking. Thank you for also sharing the history of aprons.
I shall make a hint about the ginger cake :-)

Anonymous said...

Our parents had us wear one when eating, also as teens. I still wear one a lot now including when I eat.