Total Pageviews

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Carbophile's Low? GI Diet, Good for Diabetics! You Decide.

From carbo's blog the highlighting is mine:


“A simple carb loving person with type 2 diabetes, struggling with managing the condition and living a normal life.”


Notes

1I don’t normally end the day this high, but Friday was just one of those days when the ‘phone wouldn’t stop ringing with yet another customer making impossible demands and expecting delivery “first thing Monday”;


2On call today, so got up at 7am today. It's a Saturday, so breakfast with the family is a ritual we insist on sticking to, the fasting reading was taken at 7:14 and the pre breakfast taken at 9:26. Two large, strong(ish) coffees in between;


3Alright, alright. Breakfast was slightly different than planned and included two slices of toast with the fishcake and half a tin of tomatoes;


4I know I said there would be very little exercise this weekend, however having already made plans for this evening's dinner, there were no spring onions in the house which meant traipsing to and from Tesco, a measly 3,000 steps or, according to my pedometer, just under 2km, or 236 calories later;


5Lunch was an open corned beef sandwich with some more of that home made coleslaw. I also had a coffee with a couple of plain chocolate digestives;


6Dinner was a stir fry with noodles, I prepared two marinades, one with oyster sauce, and t'other with five spice. Both with a splash of walnut oil, some soy sauce, spring onions, and some garlic. Left the meat marinating for a couple of hours before frying in a little olive oil. Resounding success, everyone came back for seconds;


7Fasting reading was taken at the slightly later than usual time of 8:35 on Sunday;


8Breakfast was a very agreeably late one, 10:30, on account none of us could be bothered to put the fish in the oven! Our own fault really. Threw in some mushrooms as well and rather an heroic amount of toast (and boy, did I pay for the toast), on the whole, a very lovely brunch type meal. Brunch on the patio would have been fabulous, with the garden looking so lovely, just unfortunate that it was raining at the time;


9Lunch plans changed! Sunday Lunch at the local hostelry, mainly because we decided to celebrate some good news on the daughter front and the wife is feeling a bit more chirpy than normal. 2,215 steps on the pedometer, or 1.5km or 170 calories;


10Lunch at the Barn Owl in Worcester was a share of one of those combo platters (potato wedges, breaded mushrooms, breaded mushrooms, and garlic bread) with the family, followed by a Cajun Salmon salad. I'm not a food critic, but I doubt it was one of their best! but it did. Regrettably, dinner was cut short by a call from work (darn it, double time!) and a hasty retreat home so that I could be of assistance;


11Sunday turned into one of those late running days, so I skipped dinner and had a late(ish) supper which was cheese and a few crackers;


12Blimey, I'm impressed! I was burning the midnight oil yesterday (and today) and didn't get to bed until 3am. I have noticed, in the past, that late nights have adversely affected my fasting blood glucose levels, obviously not today. Back to the mundane, breakfast was two slices of wholegrain toast;


13Lunch was one round of ham and sweetcorn salad sandwiches;


14Dinner was taglietelle pasta with a home made Bolognese sauce and some more of that home made coleslaw;


15Early riser today, up at 4am in order to catch the red eye to the City. Breakfast? A very crunchy two slices of wholegrain toast again;


16As expected today was quite difficult, not too many opportunities to test without causing embarassment. Lunch was a quite execrable beef stew with dumplings, seasonal(?) veg and dauphinoise potatoes with a healthy chunk of bread. I was hungry, so I ate the lot!


17Late train home. Supper was a tomato and basil chicken pasta salad from Sainsbury's.”

http://carbophile.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=22

Edited to add futher low GI examples of Carbo's diet!


"You see, I’m one of those patients that is following the advice received from their health care professionals. I eat a low fat/low GI diet – when I can, it’s not always possible – there are occasions when I’ve been faced with, gulp, starvation, or eat a sandwich made with white bread (though, on those occasions I have eschewed the optional potato crisps – not the use of the word optional). I have found it difficult though to ignore the absolutely compulsory four finger dark chocolate kit-kat. I have also, it has to be said, enjoyed dunking the odd jammy dodger in the odd cup of tea – but, it has to be said, only now and again.

So, I hear you exclaim, you must be really highly medicated to have such a good HbA1c and to be able to eat such a diet. Nay, nay, and thrice nay I say. I don’t consider myself to be highly medicated at all. I will admit to taking Statins on a regular basis, I will also admit to taking two (count ‘em 1…2) 500mg Metformin a day, one in the morning when I wake up with my breakfast (normally two slices of wholegrain toast with a little jam) and the second when I get home in the evening immediately before I have my evening meal, frequently soup with a wholegrain bread roll, occasionally a pizza, sometimes potato wedges with some chicken…and I will make an additional confession to enjoying…yep, you’ve guessed it, that ultimate sin fish*…,and oh gosh, please forgive me,…chips."

* Don't know if the fish is battered or not!

http://carbophile.blogspot.com/2010/06/recent-news.html

Graham

15 comments:

Carb O'Phile said...

Thanks for the link gray. Just ever so slightly concerned you might be misunderstanding the nature of that post though. Why don't you just copy and paste the whole article? Rather than just choice bits?

Carbo!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well hello tub's, it only seems like yesterday since we had our last chat via pm at DCUK. I well remember your final succinct message "Oh Dear" do you recall that you old pedant?.

I digress, now back to your comment, I think you have answered your own concerns in the first sentence, the link enables anyone who wishes to see the post in it's entirety. As the "choice bit" I copied was in a smaller font in your post, I've made it easier on the eye for those who may be interested in the nature of the post.

"gray" come on now tub's you naughty boy, show some respect the name is Graham.

As a gesture of good will I've dedicated this song to you.

carbo's song

Give my love to all your "readers" especially the pumpers, and a special mention to my old mate the 1.5 pumper.

Bye for now.
Peace love an a tub of extra double cream.

Graham

Anonymous said...

Toast toast and more toast. Where's the veg.

Anonymous said...

Graham, I have been following your blog for some time and like the serious and less serious of posts. But your link to 'Toast' well what a touch wish I could use computers like that.
I am not having toast for lunch just the humble hard boiled egg.

Sonya

Anonymous said...

Jeez! with that diet he's going the right way to being toast himself.

Anonymous said...

Interesting read thanks, wonder what Jimmy Moore is going to make of it.

Carb O'Phile said...

Dunno, d'ya wanna tell him about the maltesers I ate today as well?

Lowcarb team member said...

And you wonder why you are still obese. How you kill youself is your business, but please stop dragging others down. I like you Carbo, I'm gonna miss you !

Dump the carbs. You know it makes sense, why fight it!

Eddie

Carb O'Phile said...

OMG. You mean ten (count 'em) maltesers are really going to be the end of me. I take it all back, Edie, I've seen the light. Here's the deal, I'll forswear chocolate if you give up the plonk. Waddya say?

Lowcarb team member said...

Carbo, have you taken complete leave of your senses, give up my beloved wine ? get a grip lad, I have dumped most of the food that lead to my obesity. I’m not about to give up the wine ! I commend your posts re. steps, and exercise, which can only do nothing but good, for general fitness. But as a method of losing weight, it’s a none runner (please pardon the pun). You can do 5000 steps and it goes out of the window, when you eat err……… more toast !

As I say Ad nauseam give up the carbs !

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

"Dunno, d'ya wanna tell him about the maltesers I ate today as well?"

Hello again tub's your getting to be a regular here!

Just a couple question about the maltesers would that be on toast or "au naturel", if they were on toast would that be one slice or two? we need to know.

Kind Regards
Your old mate
Graham

Lowcarb team member said...

Graham, I think you are missing the point. Carbo can live on toast, if I could live on toast, I could save a small fortune on all that fresh food I buy each week.

Alas toast sends my BG numbers through the roof.

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Tub's old boy, my blood test results show excellent liver function combined with trigs of .65not bad for an alcoholic don't you agree. Therefore it would appear lowcarb protects against the devastating effects of alcoholism.

Must go time for my nightly hot chocolate made with around 100ml real double cream, thats about 450cals and still not gaining weight!

Good Night God Bless
Graham

Anonymous said...

“A simple carb loving person with type 2 diabetes, struggling with managing the condition and living a normal life.”

Carb addicted more like.

Lowcarb team member said...

Even more carbs to add to the list.

"frequently soup with a wholegrain bread roll, occasionally a pizza, sometimes potato wedges with some chicken…and I will make an additional confession to enjoying…yep, you’ve guessed it, that ultimate sin fish…,and oh gosh, please forgive me,…chips."