Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 February 2012

More than 1.3 million diabetes patients not offered vital tests !

An estimated 1.3 million diabetes patients are missing out on vital and potentially life-saving health checks, the BBC has learned.

NHS figures reveal fewer than 10% of patients are offered the full series of tests in some areas of England.

Health Minister Paul Burstow said the situation was "outrageous" and "unacceptable".

Primary care trusts in low test areas said they were working to improve services for diabetes patients.

According to National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines, primary care trusts (PCTs) should ensure all diabetic patients are given a series of nine different health checks every 12 months.

These include blood pressure, blood glucose levels, cholesterol, and examinations of the eyes and feet.

The tests are designed to spot the early signs of complications linked to diabetes such as infection leading to gangrene, blindness, kidney failure and heart problems.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17014480

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not content with giving diabetics useless dietary guidelines, limited or in many cases denied access to testing kit, we now have vital tests not being offered to diabetics at risk from serious complications.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I think like many other health areas it is a lottery depending on where you live that determines how often just basic tests are offered to diabetics. The situation is only going to get worse. We may have to take things into our own hands by being more determined with our medical team, making sure we ask for what is our right. We have a voice we must not be afraid to use it.
Ask and keep on asking.

Peter

Anonymous said...

"Not content with giving diabetics useless dietary guidelines, limited or in many cases denied access to testing kit, we now have vital tests not being offered to diabetics at risk from serious complications."

This is indeed a sad and sorry state. What is happening in the NHS diabetics, deserve much better than this.

Have YOU signed the test strip petition?

Joe

Lowcarb team member said...

"Have YOU signed the test strip petition?"

Yes we've all signed it Joe, there was another petition circulating a couple of years ago we signed that too.

I'm lucky in that I get 50 strips a month, I also get all the relevant eye and feet checks, although I sometimes need to remind the surgery about the blood tests, I think that may be down to an recently updated computer system.

Graham

Anonymous said...

You are fortunate Graham to get your test strips. My surgery took them off my prescription and I now have to buy them myself. I suppose I am lucky that I can do this. I don't get them that often but I do check from time to time to make sure things are ok. I do follow a low carb diet sticking to about 40 to 50 carbs a day, this suits me.

I do hope a lot of people signed the petition, at least we try to get things improved for all.

Joe

Lowcarb team member said...

My surgery did stop mine last year Joe, but after I had a word with my supportive DSN they were reinstated.

Graham