Total Pageviews

Friday 10 February 2012

Steve Phinney – Low-Carb preserves Glycogen better than High Carb !

"I’m a medical doctor and have my training in internal medicine.  Early in my career developed an interest in nutrition and got a PhD in nutritional biochemistry.  That was 30 odd years ago, and since then my primary interests have been in weight management, ie, obesity, exercise and the human economy of the various fats we either put in our mouths or make in our bodies.

I stay between 25 and 50 grams of carbohydrate a day.  I eat a moderate amount of protein.  It’s not a high-protein diet. I eat 2800 calories a day, and so if moderate protein is 500 to 600 calories a day and carbohydrate is around 100 calories a day, I’m eating over 2,000 calories of fat to maintain my body weight.  I run in the 70 – 80% of energy intake as fat

Many people do, and they anecdotally note that their performance is as good or better than it was on high carbs.  Dr. James Wortman, for instance, the star of My Big Fat Diet, discovered in his 50s that he was a Type II diabetic, a disease that runs in his family.  He switched to low carb eating and his diabetes is completely controlled. He’s an avid skier, and I have personally seen him do a non-stop in a 5,000 foot descent of Whistler Mountain in British Columbia.  Obviously he’s not impaired by the way he eats."

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/04/14/steve-phinney-low-carb-preserves-glycogen-better-than-high-carb/


Eddie

No comments: