Using almond meal, or ground almonds, is a great substitute for bread crumbs or flour. It coats easily, frys well and is free from wheat, grains and gluten and extremely low in carbs.
Any leftover almond and herb crusted schnitzel are great for lunch boxes or chopped on a salad.
Use any choice of dried or fresh herb e.g. rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic,
Use chicken, turkey or pork schnitzel.
Use the almond and herb crust for fish nibbles.
4 pieces of beef schnitzel
1 cup almond meal
2 tbs grated parmesan
zest of 1 handful of fresh chopped parsley
butter for frying
1. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until fully combined. In a second small bowl, mix the almond meal, herbs, lemon zest and parmesan.
2. Heat the frying pan on a low/medium heat and add butter so the almond, herb crust doesn't stick and to give the crust a lovely buttery flavour.
3. Dip one piece of schnitzel at a time into the egg mixture to ensure both sides are covered. Lift to allow the excess egg mixture to drain, then place each side in the almond mixture so that it is fully coated.
4. Place gently into the frying pan, adding more butter as they cook and absorb the butter from the pan.
5. Cook until golden on both sides. Generally this only takes about 2-3 minutes each side.
6. Serve with cream cheese. and more fresh herbs.