Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 January 2012

The diet of death !

For fifteen to twenty years, before type two diabetes diagnosis, I ate cereals, toast and orange juice for breakfast, keeping well away from saturated fat. At diagnosis, I was at least 50lbs over weight with a waist of 40”. My usual breakfast consisted of at least 150 carbs. Since seeing the lowcarb way of weight control, and more importantly BG control, I eat, most days of the week, the breakfast below. This has resulted in HbA1c numbers in the fives, (almost 12 at diagnosis) reduced total cholesterol, increased HDL, and trigs, from near three, to always less than one, also a weight loss of 50 pounds. I have maintained these numbers for three and a half years. My only diabetes medication, two by 500 mg Metformin a day.

Of course this is only anecdotal eh, surely the NHS and DUK must know more than me in controlling type two diabetes ? If they do, why do their figures re. lack of progress, make more depressing news, year on year ? The eat carbs with every meal, for a non insulin using diabetic is a sick joke, they are pushing a diet of DEATH ! If I know it, so must they. But hey, I am not on the payroll of big pharma and junk food companies.



Eddie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a little experiment.
Which breakfast has more calories?:
fried eggs 92x2
back bacon 76x3
cherry toms 5x4
fried mushroom 48x1

150g carbs @ 150x4 (+ whatever else in the way of fat and protein, or was it dry toast and cereal?)leave you to work out the arithmetic and then multiply it by the weeks and months.

graham64 said...

Anonymouse, 150g carbs @ 150x4, is this your daily intake of carbs?. You seem very confused it could be severe Hyperglygemia, prolonged exposure could have very serious consequences.



I don't count calories anymore since calculating I need around 3500 daily. My breakfast is slightly different from Eddies, I have 4 or 5 rashers of fried streaky bacon and a larger portion of mushrooms and like Eddie fried in real organic Butter.


All I watch is Carbs the above breakfast will give me minimal rise in BG and a 1hr PP BG thats heading back down to pre meal level.
Your toast and ceareal breakfast has fewer calories but is less satiating and packed with carbs, a perfect recipe for the swift onset of diabetic complications for T2s.


Dry toast! and I thought the idiots used Satan Spread!


Kind Regards

Dave P said...

And then of course there is what is going on in the Nordic Countries .............. Strange we havnt heard a lot about any success or failure isnt it ??

Anonymous said...

Graham64, I think you didn't read Eddies post... It was he and not I that said he used to eat 150 carbs for breakfast. Not my sort of breakfast at all
It's clear, that whether he counts them or not, Eddie has reduced his intake of calories at breakfast time.
It takes a lot of toast cereal and orange juice to reach 150g carb.

Anonymous said...

When I was first diagnosed type two 7 years ago I was advised to follow a low fat diet by my dietician, I did try to count the calories and control the portion sizes. The biggest problem I found was the hunger which caused me to stray I was gaining weight and my Hba was climbing. My medications were increased but with little effect. The wake up call came 5 years ago when the consultant said I should consider insulin. Thats when I decided to give Atkins a try, 12months later I was off the Glic and my Hba was down from 9.2 to 6.2 and for the last 4 years has always been in the 5s. I have modified my diet a bit but still low carb. My BMI is now 25 down from 32,improved kidney function and like you guys my cholestrol levels have shown dramatic improvement.

Scott

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for your comments Dave. Last time you were posting on Davids forum, life was treating you very well ! I hope everything is still going great.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

I rarely comment, however i did some searching and wound up here "The diet of death !".
And I do have some questions for you if it's allright. Could it be only me or does it look like some of the responses come across like they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I'd like to follow
anything fresh you have to post. Would you list of all of your shared pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page
or linkedin profile?
My webpage: diets that work for women