Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 October 2022

Tea (or Coffee) and Low Carb Cookie/Biscuits

If you are a regular reader, you will know that I do enjoy a cup of tea 😀
So, this post is about ... you guessed it! Tea 😊


Did you know that "although tea originated from China, a lot of people associate it primarily with the United Kingdom, since it was the British who helped popularize tea in Europe. As a result, tea drinking became a big part of British culture. It even has its own holiday, National Tea Day, celebrated April 21.

Contrary to popular misconception, tea wasn’t introduced to Europe by the British; it was Dutch sailors who first brought it to the European continent from China. The earliest known mention of tea by an Englishman was by an agent for the British East India Company in 1615.

English coffeehouses began to serve green tea in the mid-17th century. The new drink was popular mostly among the upper classes and merchants, since it was several times more expensive than coffee, and very few people could afford it. Charles II’s Portuguese bride, Catherine of Braganza, made tea popular as a court beverage, making it an acceptable drink for both ladies and gentlemen.

In 1667, the British East India Company began to import Chinese tea through their agent in Bantam (present-day Indonesia). The first tea shop in London was opened by Thomas Twining in 1706. It still operates today at No. 216, Strand, making it the longest-standing ratepayer in London. Twinings holds a royal warrant, which means it supplies tea to the royal family.

In 1720, the British Parliament banned the import of Asian textiles, and many merchants decided to focus on importing tea instead. By the mid-18th century, tea became the main import of the British East India Company. In addition to importing tea from China, the British began to grow it in India. As a result, tea became more affordable and therefore more popular among the middle class. At certain point, it was more popular than coffee, chocolate, and alcohol.

By the early 19th century, the working class could afford tea as well, and the drink transformed from luxury to commodity. Black tea overtook green tea in popularity, and many people started to drink it with sugar and milk. And so the UK became and still remains one of the biggest tea consumers in the world, with an average annual per capita tea supply of 4.18 lbs.

While the British usually serve tea with milk and sugar, it is not uncommon to drink it with lemon or black. Tea is often accompanied with biscuits (which can be dunked into the tea), scones, crumpets, cake and/or sandwiches.

National Tea Day in the United Kingdom was first observed in 2016, and is celebrated on April 21", the date is in my diary ready for next year 😊
Words taken from article here

image from here

Are you a tea drinker or do you prefer coffee?
These Low Carb Chocolate Cookie / Biscuits, go well with either
see more details here

Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, cartoons, music and recipes!

Please note, not all recipe suggestions may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

37 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

I only drink tea over lots of ice with no sweetener of any kind. Of course, I am American.

R's Rue said...

Love it

Tom said...

...I'm not fond of either.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Prefiro um bom chá.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Holly said...

I drink both coffee and tea, great historical information.

Jo said...

I've only recently started drinking tea but I really enjoy it now.

Debbie said...

pretty china...i am a tea girl, hot or iced and i like it sweet!! i did think its origin was Britain!!

Snowbird said...

What an interesting post! Loved that poem about tea, I do agree with the sentiments.xxx

Giorgio said...

I mainly have tea at breakfast, and sometimes milk & coffee.
When I went to London I saw tea pottery like that in the picture. Porcelain is recommended for for any type of tea.
Great post!


https://giorgiorusso2.blogspot.com/

DVArtist said...

Wow this is a fabulous post! Thanks for sharing all the history.

Elephant's Child said...

We owe the early Chinese so much.

Divers and Sundry said...

I usually drink coffee first thing in the morning and tea later in the day. I love using loose tea and a teapot :)

Bob Bushell said...

Tea is so beautiful, love it Jan.

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan,
Here at home we all love to drink tea.
Beautiful poem and wonderful image.
Hugs and all the best

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

I drink both of them but my favorite is coffee :))
Thanks for your sharing. Have a good day :)

Sue said...

I'm very much a coffee girl but I'm getting to enjoy tea more than I used to. Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing, I drink both coffee and tea.

Jeanie said...

I was reading this post when I suddenly remembered I have a cup of tea that is probably stone cold by now sitting on another table where it was resting because it was too hot! Ha! Thanks for a wonderfully informative post, Jan.

Ananka said...

Coffee is my weakness but I sure do drink a lot of tea. I like a nice Earl Grey or Assam. Hmm 21st April, few days before St George's Day...which happens to me my birthday! Might be Scottish but was born on St George's Day ;-)

As I am writing this I am drinking a Darjeeling tea :-) No biccys for me with either my tea or coffee though!

carol l mckenna said...

Delightful history of tea ~ don't drink either one anymore but tea would be my choice ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DeniseinVA said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this story of the history of tea. Thank you Jan, and all the best.

happyone said...

I don't like coffee but do like tea.
Thanks for the interesting tea facts.

William Kendall said...

I dislike coffee. I do like tea, with a preference for Earl Grey or Irish breakfast.

My name is Erika. said...

Life is always better with tea, isn't it?

J.P. Alexander said...

A mi me gusta té, te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm not much on green teas.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Margaret D said...

Interesting reading Jan.
I always have a cuppa with my breakfast then I usually drink water and might have a coffee for afternoon tea some days only.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love that poem. I am one who drinks my coffee with what you call ligh8t cream, but my tea gets nothing in it. Glad to read how my ancestors probably drank their tea.

I want to thank you for the great article you wrote on St. Swithin. I mentioned you were the inspiration today when I used it in an art challenge.

eileeninmd said...

Cute poem! Coffee is my first choice in the morning. I may have some tea later in the day.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Beautiful!!! Happy day...

It's me said...

Enjoy the tea, have a nice day love Ria and Leaf🍀🐾💗🍀

Carla from The River said...

I enjoy tea too. :-) This was a fun post. Thank you for sharing.

Teresa said...

Muy interesante lo que nos dices sobre el té. Yo desayuno café, té lo tomo alguna vez. Besos.

Martha said...

What a fun poem! And I happen to be drinking tea as I read it :)

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a lovely poem, Jan, and I’m a tea drinker. Your photo is so pretty. Blue and white china is so striking. I’m going to go fix myself a cup right now.

Conniecrafter said...

I drink black tea but iced not hot

Crafty Green Poet said...

Interesting post! I drink tea, green tea and black tea.