Total Pageviews

Friday 7 October 2022

Pumpkin Stew with sour cream : Vegetarian

"This lentil and pumpkin stew is all about how to make a straightforward recipe a lot more exciting - with very little effort. Perfect for when it’s cooling down outside and you want something really warming.


Ingredients
Serves Four
40g/1½oz butter
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
3 sprigs rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, chopped
400g/14oz lentils
1.2litres/2pints 2fl oz vegetable stock
600g/1lb 5oz assorted pumpkin or squash (total chopped weight)
small bunch parsley, chopped
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp sour cream

Method
1. In a large pan melt the butter and then add chopped onions, carrot and celery. Tear in the rosemary and a couple of bay leaves and after a few minutes add the chopped garlic. When all have nicely softened, tip in the lentils and pour over 1litre/1¾ pints of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer whilst you tend to the pumpkin.
2. Using a variety of pumpkins and squashes gives the stew a more complex flavour. Here I use acorn squash and Cinderella, but you want to end up with about 600g/1lb 5oz of peeled pumpkin in large chunks. Add them to the stew, season and then pour over enough water to just cover all the ingredients. Put a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
3. When the stew is almost ready, add the chopped parsley.
4. To make the stew creamier, remove a small bowlful to a food processor and blitz it with 200ml/2fl oz of stock. Pour it back in and the stew becomes instantly more velvety.
5. Serve the stew in bowls, finishing each helping off with a cooling spoonful of sour cream.

Each serving provides 
8g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 12g fat, 9g fibre and 2g salt."
From original recipe idea here

Related Post
Although pumpkin has many health benefits which you can read about in this post 
Pumpkin - Health Benefits here
A word of caution … Pumpkin is mildly diuretic and could be a problem for people who take certain medications, especially lithium.


You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

37 comments:

Tom said...

...this is a different way to enjoy the flavor of pumpkin.

Teresa said...

Interesante receta. Buen fin de semana.

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. Though I would adopt the recipe to suit my tastes. I really, really don't like cooked carrot.

DVArtist said...

This sounds so good. I think I will make it tomorrow. Have a nice weekend.

Hootin Anni said...

Yum!!

Christine said...

Delicious, I do love soups

William Kendall said...

I'd go for that.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh this sounds wonderful and perfect for the season ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

happyone said...

Not sure about this one, but who knows I might like it. :)

Jeanie said...

Tis the season for pumpkin! Keep'em coming?

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love pumpkins! This looks great.

Margaret D said...

Looks rather good.

Jo said...

It looks like a nice hearty stew for the colder weather.

baili said...

what a nice dish dear Jan
never saw anyone cooking pumpkin around here but this recipe is appealing
blessings!

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Hummmm deve de ser delicioso.
Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Rain said...

Oh that does look very good! I'm bookmarking it, will let you know when I make it! I have leftover pumpkin in the freezer from last fall, and I need to use it up!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, sounds and looks delicious, I would make this one without the carrot-haha the one veggie my husband does not like is cooked carrots. today here in the ozarks is a good soup day
Happy weekend

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan,
What a delicious look.
Thanks for the recipe.
Have a nice weekend
Hugs and all the best

eileeninmd said...

Sounds different but delicious.
Have a great weekend!

This N That said...

I’m really not a fan of all things pumpkin! But that looks good. Enjoy your weekend.

Inger said...

This looks like a very comforting meal.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

That looks delicious!

DeniseinVA said...

Great recipe Jan and one that we would enjoy. Thank you and all the best :)

Lee said...

Yum! Yum! That looks to be very tasty! Enjoy your weekend, you two! :)

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa noite meu amigo querido. Que vontade de provar essa delícia de receita. Bom final de semana.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This looks fabulous for fall! I am roasting two pie pumpkins to puree the insides afterward and will definitely try this soup.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm a fan of pumpkin and never had it in a stew.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Ananka said...

Sounds good :-D

roughterrain crane said...

This looks yummy. I like this china bowl called the firefly design.

Crafty Green Poet said...

that looks delicious!

My name is Erika. said...

I've never tried a pumpkin stew but I love the idea of it!

It's me said...

Mmmmmmmmm pumpkin …my favorite….happy week love from me and Leaf…🍀🧡🍄🌻🌾🍂🍁🌽🍀

Snowbird said...

Oh, just perfect for this season.xxx

DMS said...

This actually made my stomach rumble! Looks and sounds delicious. I will have to make this soon! Yum! Thanks for sharing.
~Jess

Martha said...

This looks delicious! Something I would definitely enjoy. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like Pumpkin on its own (without the "pumpkin spice" seasoning). The ingredients for this recipe sound like I would like it.