Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 October 2022

Easy Baked Apples


Growing up my dear Mum would often serve up a simple baked apple for dessert, they did taste good. 
This recipe I share is wonderful for the Autumnal months. Baked apples make for a cosy, autumnal pudding to please the whole family. You can easily make them ahead of time and warm through before serving.

Ingredients
Serves Four
50g/1¾oz butter
1 orange, zest and juice
50g/1¾oz light brown soft sugar
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground allspice
100g/3½oz mixed dried fruit (currants, sultanas, candied peel)
4 large sharp eating apples, such as Evita, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Braeburn
crème fraîche, to serve
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Melt the butter in a small pan over a medium–low heat. Take the pan off the heat and add the orange zest and juice along with the sugar and spices. Stir well to combine, then add the dried fruit. Set aside.
2. Core the apples, pushing the corer about three-quarters of the way through the apple, to make a container for the filling.
3. Put the apples cored side up into a deep-sided roasting tray, into which they fit snugly. Fill the empty cores with the spiced fruit mixture. Don’t worry if the filling spills over a little: when the apple releases its juices as it bakes it’ll create a delicious, spiced apple caramel in the bottom of the tray.
4. Bake the apples on the bottom shelf of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
5. Serve the apples with generous spoonfuls of the roasting juices and a spoonful of crème fraîche.
Recipe Tip
The cooked apples will keep, well covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. To serve, take them out of the fridge to come up to room temperature, or pop them back in a warm oven for 20 minutes.
Original recipe here

Please note: The above recipe may not be suitable for all readers. For those who prefer a lower carb recipe, have a look at this alternative Baked Apple recipe here


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Tom said...

...apple are a seasonal treat. I like them fresh.

William Kendall said...

That sounds different.

Catarina said...

I like them baked too. They are delicious.

Ananka said...

These sound really good. Can't go wrong with apples :-D

Teresa said...

Las manzanas asadas están buenísimas. Besos.

happyone said...

Yummy they sound a look delicious.

My name is Erika. said...

I've never had a baked apple. I have made apple crisp and pie and a few other apple recipes.

Elephant's Child said...

Simple food. Comfort food.

Christine said...

I should bake some apples, thanks for the idea!

Pam said...

Now that is something I would love to try. Maybe not something I would make but I would eat it.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

OLga said...

Adoro le mele al forno.Ciao

Lorrie said...

My mother baked apples the same way. I haven't made them for years, and I don't know why. So delicious!

Margaret D said...

Oh it's been a long time since I baked apples!

Iris Flavia said...

Does it work with old apples? I have two. Plus we have a new microwave that has a grill. Does that work? The oven is huge and costs a lot of energy to heat up....

Giorgio said...

Love baked apples! I'll try it with Golden or Delicious apples. Thank you for sharing!

Jo said...

The simple recipes are often the best.

eileeninmd said...

I love apples, they sound yummy baked.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Rose said...

This sounds good.

Bill said...

Sounds great and I love apples.

Laura. M said...

Me encantan las manzanas asadas, las hago horno. Gracias
Un Abrazo.

Lowcarb team member said...

Iris Flavia said...
Does it work with old apples? I have two. Plus we have a new microwave that has a grill. Does that work? The oven is huge and costs a lot of energy to heat up..

Hello Iris
You can make baked apples in the microwave, please see this link here for tips and advice
https://www.thekitchn.com/microwave-baked-apples-22949480

A firm apple is best to use when making a baked apple dessert ...

I hope you may enjoy a baked apple soon :)

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Teresa said...
Las manzanas asadas están buenísimas. Besos

The roasted apples are delicious. Kisses

J.P. Alexander said...
Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso

Thanks for the recipe. I send you a kiss

OLga said...
Adoro le mele al forno.Cia

I love baked apples. Cia

Laura. M said...
Me encantan las manzanas asadas, las hago horno. Gracias
Un Abrazo

I love roasted apples, I bake them. Thank you
A hug

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Adoro.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

baili said...

oh never had roasted apples dear Jan
sounds like intriguing recipe to me thank you for sharing

Martha said...

This is delicious!

bread&salt said...

Sounds really great! I love apple and quince alot. Thanks Dear Jan.

It's me said...

Mmmmmmmmmm….🍀🍀🍀

Divers and Sundry said...

This recipe looks tasty -different from how I usually make them.

This N That said...

Yummy Especially warm with ice cream on them

Jeanie said...

I don't know why I never bake apples, but these look so good, I may just have to give it a shot. Yum!

Conniecrafter said...

Both of these sound so good! I have had a couple of caramel apples this year!

chica said...

Aqui em casa adoramos! beijos, chica

Iris Flavia said...

Jan, thank you! We have a long weekend here, we´ll give it a go!