Total Pageviews

Saturday 6 May 2023

A Special Coronation Weekend

It's time for a special Coronation weekend. Yes, from Saturday 6th May to Monday 8th May 2023, here in the UK we will be celebrating a very special occasion, as it's time for the coronation of King Charles III and Camilla, Queen Consort.


Following the very sad death of Queen Elizabeth on 8th September 2022, King Charles became the new monarch. The Coronation is centred around a solemn religious ceremony and has remained largely unchanged for over a thousand years. For the last 900 years, the ceremony has taken place at Westminster Abbey, London and is conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort is a time for celebration across the nation and Commonwealth, over a weekend of special events:
  • Saturday 6 May: the Coronation Ceremony will take place at Westminster Abbey, London.
  • 6-8 May: Coronation Big Lunches will be held up and down the country and across the Commonwealth.
  • Sunday 7 May: a spectacular Coronation Concert will be performed at Windsor Castle, with iconic locations across the UK lit up using projections, lasers, drone displays and illuminations.
  • Monday 8 May: a special Bank Holiday in honour of the Coronation, giving everyone the opportunity to join in and celebrate a national day of volunteering through Big Help Out activities.
    You can read more information here

You may be having a family gathering or street party and I'm sure there will be lots of good food to eat. Did you know that King Charles and Queen Camilla shared this "coronation quiche" recipe, described as "a deep quiche with a crisp, light pastry case and delicate flavours of Spinach, Broad Beans and fresh Tarragon. Eat hot or cold with a green salad and boiled new potatoes—perfect for a Coronation Big Lunch!" (see recipe here )

Related Post
Quiche Origins and three low carb recipe suggestions
one of which is for Crustless Quiche Lorraine, see post and recipe details here


Crustless Quiche Lorraine Recipe - see here

~ on this very special weekend, I wish you a happy one ~

All the best Jan

25 comments:

William Kendall said...

I love quiche Lorraine. Enjoy the weekend.

Christine said...

A very special weekend indeed!

My name is Erika. said...

I wasn't born yet for the Queen's coronation, and I'm excited to watch this one. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Tom said...

...we like quiche, will try this.

DrumMajor said...

Nope, don't want beans in my quiche. Linda in Kansas

Lorrie said...

I wish I were in London this weekend. It will be a fabulous spectacle of history. Although I won't be getting up at 2 am to watch the Coronation live, I'll certainly watch it later. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend of pomp and joy.

J.P. Alexander said...

Genial receta y espero que salga todo bien con la coronación Te mando un beso.

Elephant's Child said...

Enjoy the weekend.

Margaret D said...

Sounds a wonderful long weekend.
I'm sitting in front of the TV doing comments on blogs and it's 3.30pm Saturday my time. Broadcast here commence at 5pm and goes through the evening/night and finished at 11.30pm same day. Looking forward to watching.
Enjoy your long weekend Jan.

Sami said...

Enjoy the Coronation and have a lovely weekend.
I love quiche, will have to try your recipe :)

Martha said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend. Enjoy!

CJ Kennedy said...

Enjoy the weekend. I’m hoping to see the events when I get home. If Himself remembered to DVR the ceremony for me

Laura. M said...

Gran día para todos y que todo vaya bien. Me gusta la receta
Buen fin de semana.
Un abrazo.

DUTA said...

Great photo of the royal couple!
Allt the Best to the new King and to the British people!

carol l mckenna said...

Yes ~ a history making weekend ~ thanks for the post, photo and quiche ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DeniseinVA said...

I have been catching up on the Coronation today. I enjoy all the pageantry that comes with it and seeing the crowds with their patriotic attire, and all the flags waving. Thank you for sharing. All the best and have a wonderful weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

I saw the quiche on TV, it sounds good! Happy weekend, Valerie

Caty said...

This weekend is a great celebration for the English, with the coronation and all the other events.
That guiche recipe has to be delicious, I've eaten it but the typical French one, which is certainly very good.
Very happy weekend, and enjoy a lot
Big hugs, Caty

peppylady (Dora) said...

I never made Quiche.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Teresa said...

He visto casi toda la coronación, y me ha gustado. Besos y feliz día de las madre.

Sally said...

I've been watching all weekend. Such a wonderful time for all.
The quiche looks wonderful. I'm going to try that recipe!
As always, thanks for sharing.
xoxo

Sherry said...

I enjoyed watching the coronation of the King. Everything was so pretty. There is alot of us in the US. that are praying for a great life to all.

Conniecrafter said...

I watched it on the TV, even with the rain it looks like it was a great day :)

Carla from The River said...

I enjoyed watching some highlights of the day. I am thankful for the traditions your country holds.

Jeanie said...

I enjoyed every minute. I still want to watch the concert -- couldn't see it before. I'm not sure about the beans in the quiche.