Total Pageviews

Friday 5 May 2023

Purple Asparagus - have you tried it?

Well I've seen and tried purple sprouting broccoli (see here) but shopping recently I saw and bought some purple asparagus. (At time of posting I haven't tried it yet but will edit the post to let you know what I thought).

Having bought purple asparagus it tempted me to do some research ...
This is what I found.

What is Purple Asparagus and How Do I Use it?

Why not add a textural snap, a flash of colour and some excellent nutrients to your springtime meals with purple asparagus.

This post will answer all of your questions, from what is purple asparagus to its health benefits.

With spring around the corner, there is plenty of seasonal produce to add to your meals, such as asparagus.

While this stalky, spear-like vegetable is a perennial plant available year-round, asparagus usually has peak availability between April/May/June. You can find the tastiest asparagus stalks during these months at your local grocer, specialty grocery stores and farmers' markets, including the less common varieties, like purple asparagus.

If you've never had purple asparagus, then please read on to uncover its secrets.

photo credit: Helen Norman

What Is Purple Asparagus?

Purple asparagus originated in Italy's Liguria region but has since been cultivated in many other countries.

The purple spears come in three main varieties, with slight physical and flavour profile differences:

  • Pacific Blue: Originally from New Zealand, these asparagus are larger and are less fibrous compared to other varieties.
  • Purple Passion: Grown in California, this variety has specks of green on their purple crowns.
  • Erasmus: This is a male variety with a deep purple hue and a sweeter flavour.

What's the difference between green and purple asparagus? 
What about white and purple asparagus? Like their green and white cousins, purple asparagus can vary in stalk thickness. The thicker stalks are woodier, more pungent, meaty and fibrous, while the thinner ones are soft, tender and crunchy.

If you have steered away from including asparagus as part of your meals due to their earthiness or grassiness, then you might want to give it a second chance, particularly with purple asparagus.

Like its white counterpart, purple asparagus is mild in flavour but sweeter than green asparagus. It has a higher content of natural sugars than other asparagus varieties.

Purple asparagus is also nuttier in flavour. When cooked, these purple, stalky vegetables resemble a blend of barley, almonds and artichokes.

Health Benefits of Purple Asparagus

Nutritionally, asparagus is low in sodium and calories and is fat and cholesterol free. It is also an excellent source of vitamin K, an essential nutrient for blood clotting. Every half-cup serving (or about 6 spears) of asparagus contains more than half of the daily recommended intake of vitamin K, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.

Undoubtedly a nutrition powerhouse, every 90 gram serving of purple asparagus also provides more than one-third of your daily folate needs. This essential B vitamin helps prevent anaemia and keeps the heart healthy. Folate is also a vital nutrient for women considering pregnancy because it helps to reduce the risk of neural tube defects in babies in the early weeks of their development.

Asparagus is also a source of dietary fibre, an important nutrient for supporting a healthy gut and decreasing the risk of chronic illnesses like heart disease and diabetes. In addition, the stalky vegetables also contain thiamin and riboflavin, both essential for growth and development as well as for an energetic metabolism.

But what makes purple asparagus stand out from their green and white cousins is its abundance of anthocyanins, a pigment that gives them the purple hue. Anthocyanins are also a powerful antioxidant that may have anti-inflammatory properties and protect against heart disease, diabetes and Parkinson's disease.

How to Prepare and Cook Purple Asparagus

Snappy purple asparagus can be eaten raw and is a colourful addition to almost any salad. They play well will most other vegetables, aromatics, herbs and even fruits like blueberries.

While purple asparagus loses its vivid colour when exposed to heat, it is a versatile vegetable that adds visual appeal to a variety of cooked dishes.

To help cooked purple asparagus maintain its violet shade, you can blanch it quickly and shock the stalks in ice water, or put them on the grill over high heat and watch them closely. Even if it loses its colour, lightly charred asparagus is delicious.

However, if you'd rather go after their taste and texture, you can use purple asparagus in place of the green and white in stir-fries, frittatas, and side dishes.

These words, with all relevant links, and some recipe suggestions can be seen here

Have you tried purple asparagus?

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Anita said...

I love Asparagus but never tried purple ones.They are low in carbo too I quess🌼🌿

Lowcarb team member said...

Anita said
I love Asparagus but never tried purple ones. They are low in carbo too I guess🌼🌿

Reply:
Yes, they are ... 1 cup of Asparagus has about 5 grams of carbohydrate.
more details here:-
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/asparagus/carbohydrate

Many thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoy some asparagus soon.

All the best Jan

Kay said...

Gosh... I don't think I've ever seen purple ones, at least not in Hawaii.

My name is Erika. said...

I've never heard of or seen purple asparagus. I bet it adds some beautiful color to a plate of food.

Sandi said...

I had no idea this existed.

J.P. Alexander said...

No los he probado pero se ven ricos. Te mando un beso.

Tom said...

...we have green asparagus in our garden.

Christine said...

This is new to me

peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't think I every had purple asparagus.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have never tried purple asparagus, but I do love asparagus.

Lorrie said...

I've not seen the purple asparagus, but would be willing to give it a try. I've been harvesting fall-planted purple sprouting broccoli lately and it's so tender and sweet. Soon it will be too warm for the plants and they will bolt, so I pulled them up yesterday.

roentare said...

I only prefer baby asparagus which are not too stringy

Elephant's Child said...

I have tried it and enjoyed it. Sadly we don't often see it here - and our asparagus season is quite a long way off.

Fun60 said...

Have had green and white but I've never seen purple. I'll have to look out for it.

Margaret D said...

That's interesting and haven't seen as yet.

eileeninmd said...

I have never tried the purple asparagus, I do love asparagus.

Take care, have a happy weekend!

Barwitzki said...

I bought white asparagus fresh from the field at the market yesterday and prepared it immediately...delicious.
I've never seen purple asparagus... I'll keep an eye out...
Many greetings to you from Viola.

DVArtist said...

I've never seen it before. We barely get green asparagus here. LOL Have a great weekend.

Donna said...

I've never even seen it!!
Wow, pretty!
hugs
Donna

Valerie-Jael said...

I like asparagus in all variations! Valerie

Bill said...

Never knew it existed.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I've not seen the purple variety but I had the green tonight with my dinner.

Caty said...

Ohh I haven' y seen purple asparagus, just green and white, but they may be good so. Thanks so much for sharing this useful information with US.
Have a great weekend
Big hugs, Caty

William Kendall said...

I doubt at this point that asparagus and I will ever meet. 😀

happyone said...

Haven't had the purple asparagus but I do like the green kind.

Martha said...

I never even knew purple asparagus existed. How interesting!

Mary Kirkland said...

I've never seen the purple ones in the store.

Conniecrafter said...

I have not seen the purple kind, my hubby prefers the slimmer stalks to the thick ones