Total Pageviews

Friday 26 May 2023

Five Random Fun Facts

Sharing five random fun facts ... do you know any of them?


1. The colour orange was actually named after oranges.
The colour orange didn’t exist in the English language until the late 15th century when the first oranges began to appear in England. Of course, there were many things before this that today would undeniably be called orange, but there wasn’t a name for the colour back then. So instead, orange-coloured things would be called ġeolucrog (yellow-saffron), or if something had more of a red tinge to it, it was called ġeolurēad (yellow-red).

2. Crows often hold grudges against specific people.
Crows are excellent at recognizing people’s faces and are able to remember people for a long time! This can be either a negative or positive fact, depending on how nice you are to them. While crows can tell us apart, we would find it difficult to distinguish one crow from another.

3. The smallest bone in your body is in your ear.
Known as the stapes bone, this tiny bone is, on average, 0.09 × 0.11 inches (3 × 2.5 mm) in size. The stapes bone can be found in the middle ear of humans and many other animals. It is vital in transferring vibrations from sounds into the inner ear.

4. Only 5% of the ocean has been explored.
The ocean covers around 70% of the Earth’s surface, and it is much harder to explore than land. As much as 20% of the ocean floor has now been mapped, thanks to advancements in sonar technologies. The reason we’ve explored so little of the ocean is that the technology needed has only developed over the last 100 years.

5. Banging your head against a wall for one hour burns 150 calories.
This is definitely not recommended, and I do wonder how it was tested? Does anyone know? A safer way to burn 150 calories would be to take your dog for a walk for 45 minutes, if you haven't a dog just enjoy a walk.

Did you know any of these five facts?
I knew about the crows, and I had read about the stapes bone.

~ xxx ooo xxx ~

I am also sharing links to two posts you may be interested in reading:-

1. Ways That Having a Pet Can Help Your Diabetes
It is well-established that having a companion animal can do wonders for our health, both physically and emotionally. How can having a pet help with diabetes management?  - read about it here

2. This just may be the new keep fit
You might not relish the idea of doing household chores, but research claims that dusting, vacuuming and mopping with gusto are as good for you as any session at the gym.- read about it here

~ enjoy your day ~

This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, funnies, photographs, music and recipes!

However, not all the recipe ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

21 comments:

Tom said...

...the first one is the only one that I knew.

Christine said...

Enjoyed learning these facts and tidbits.

William Kendall said...

I know about the crows. A friend was mobbed by one when he startled it one night, and I've teased him ever since that he must go to the crows and make amends for that bad language.

roentare said...

You have covered these 5 random facts in your past posts

Lorrie said...

I did not know about the stapes bone, nor about burning calories while banging one's head against a wall. Yikes! I'll take the walk, thank you!

happyone said...

I knew 2, 3, and 4. Interesting about the color orange!!

Practical Parsimony said...

I did not know the information about the color names for orange, but I did know orange was for the fruit. No, I did not know about banging your head on the wall. After all that, do you really care about calories anymore? The middle three I knew. I try not to offend crows.

J.P. Alexander said...

Genial me gusto conocer los datos. Te mando un beso.

Margaret D said...

Knew a couple and interesting to read about the others Jan.

Elephant's Child said...

Some I knew, some I did not.
I will pass on expending calories banging my head on the wall though.

Donna said...

Knew most...and the Crow one creeps me out! lol...we have crows in our area and they really do give you a good looking over! lolol
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Interesting facts and post.
I am surprised only 5% of the ocean has been explored.
Take care, have a great weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

Fun facts today. That's really interesting about the color orange. I didn't know that. Happy weekend-enjoy.

Jeanie said...

That head banging baffles me! But how interesting all these are. I didn't know about orange. Now I wonder how someone decided "We shall call these round sweet fruits oranges!

Bill said...

Interesting facts, thank you.

Giorgio said...

Interesting to read such things.
Take care!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Native to Asia, the word for orange is some places is Chinas. In China, cheng zi.

Interesting facts. I knew zero.

Teresa said...

Conocía algunos, todos son interesantes. Besos.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I knew two of them: oranges and stapes. The rest were new to me. I especially liked banging my head against the wall!

Breathtaking said...

Hello :=)
I knew three, but didn't know about the head banging which is ridiculous and I didn't know about the ocean.

Conniecrafter said...

I did not know any of them but hubby knew the ear one. I assure you I will not try the head banging thing :)