Total Pageviews

Tuesday 2 May 2023

Foods To Help Healthy Eyes

"Are you eating the right kind of foods that can help improve vision and prevent age-related eye diseases such as cataract. It is easier to protect your eyes by eating foods that are packed with vision-friendly nutrients. Learn more about some of these foods that can improve your eyesight and help protect against sight threatening diseases.


Eggs – Eggs are full of eye-friendly antioxidants. Egg yolks are high in lutein. It is a type of a carotenoid that helps fight macular degeneration, the leading cause of old age blindness.

Green and leafy vegetables – These vegetables contain carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which are very beneficial for vision and have a positive impact on the retina. They may help reduce disability and discomfort from glare, enhance contrast and reduce photo-stress recovery times.

Fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C – Citrus fruits like oranges and vegetables like red capsicums are packed with vitamin C. They provide antioxidants that help keep the eyes healthy. Vitamin C helps the body form and maintain connective tissue, including collagen found in the cornea of the eye. It promotes the delicate capillaries in the retina.

Nuts – Nuts are tasty snacks that are excellent source of vitamin E and minerals such as zinc that help keep your eyes healthy. They may decrease the risk of cataract and age related macular degeneration. Being packed with vitamin E, nuts help protect membranes of cells throughout the body against damage caused by free radicals.

Beans – Kidney beans, black-eyed peas and lentils are good sources of bioflavonoids and zinc. They can help protect the retina and lower the risk for developing macular degeneration and cataracts.

Oysters and pork – Oysters and pork are super foods proven to boost eye health. The selenium and zinc in these foods are good for your eyes as they protect against macular degeneration and night blindness.

Salmon, tuna and other oily fishes – Salmon, tuna and other fatty fishes are the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids which may help treat eye diseases. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for normal infant vision development. It is a high source of B vitamins too which can slash the risk of cataracts by about half."
Words above from article here


A variety of articles and recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Kay said...

I do try to eat those things. So far, my eyes are doing OK.
By the way, we really enjoyed seeing London, Dover and Liverpool. I think the best time was when we were on our own visiting all the different places.

Tom said...

...these are all things that I enjoy and eat.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos te mando un beso.

Margaret D said...

Love oysters.
Interesting read Jan.

Elephant's Child said...

I do eat a number of those foods which is good. My eyes need all the help they can get.

bazza said...

I once read a book that claimed one's diet could halt the advance of macular degeneration (but nit reverse it!). I t was a basic healthy diet with lots of green veg.
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s mockingly merciless Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

eileeninmd said...

I try to eat foods from this list.
I like most of them too.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy week!

Martha said...

Good info! I eat most of these things.

Shari Burke said...

Very useful information! Thank you!

Christine said...

Good to know

Jeanie said...

I like pretty much all of these things! It's nice to know I'm doing something good apart from indulging!

DUTA said...

Lutein and zeanaxantin are indeed key elements in eye health. An addition of gel supplements featuring these elements, to the relevant food, can help a lot.

Sally said...

Thank you! I always appreciate your wisdom, and yes except for nuts I try to eat the foods you listed. BTW greens, collards, turnips etc are my favorite veggies. :)

xoxo

CJ Kennedy said...

Who knew there were more food for the eyes beyond carrots?

Valerie-Jael said...

Our eyes are so important, we must look after them. Valerie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for all your research and great articles here.

God bless.

Granny Marigold said...

Great advice! As a vegetarian I enjoy eating all the listed foods except, of course, those last ones.

Mary Kirkland said...

Good thing I eat all of those. I wear reading glasses but other than that my eyesight is good.

Creations By Cindy said...

Good stuff to read! Happy May. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We already eat a lot of eggs, fish and vegetables and even more so in recent weeks as we have been keeping away from all foods, white in color. Nuts have become our go-to snacks even though we never had a lot of snack foods in the pantry.

Bill said...

These are foods I already enjoy eating.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful foods, it's good the eyes.

William Kendall said...

Good information, though I will, it seems, forever avoid seafood and beans.

happyone said...

Goes to show that eating healthy is good for all parts of your body.

Phil Slade said...

I ticked all of those except oysters. But I still need specs. It's old age and poverty.

NatureFootstep said...

my eyes don´t care. They do as they wants to and that is not what I want :(

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful informative post about foods for eye health ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Conniecrafter said...

I know most of these since I am fighting macular degeneration, and I have already had cataracts in both eyes, they haven't helped me much so far but keep on eating them.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I was recently wondering if foods could help keeping eyes healthy.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't eat oysters but am good with the others :)