This easy pea soup recipe is one you'll make time and again when you're in a rush. The recipe scales up easily and freezes well, so there's no reason not to make loads.
1 garlic clove, chopped
½ onion, chopped
200g/7oz frozen peas
300ml/10fl oz chicken stock (vegetarians may substitute vegetable stock)
50ml/2fl oz double (heavy) cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
mint leaf, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 3–4 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the frozen peas and chicken or vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
3. Add the cream and use a hand blender to liquidise the soup.
4. Season, to taste and serve in a warm bowl, garnished with a mint leaf.
Bunch spring onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
300g petits pois
750ml good quality vegetable or chicken stock, hot
Large handful fresh basil
60g mixed watercress, rocket and spinach salad leaves
150ml natural yogurt
3. Remove from the heat and, using a stick blender, whizz until smooth. Stir in most of the yogurt, then put in an airtight container and chill for at least 4 hours (see Make Ahead).
All the best Jan