Total Pageviews

Monday 22 January 2024

More About Cauliflower Mash


Cauliflower
Loaded with vitamin C, this cruciferous cousin to broccoli was once revered by a French king.

First prized by the court of King Louis XIV, cauliflower provides a royal health boost to everyone's diet. This versatile veggie is not only low in calories, it's also full of vitamins and minerals. One cup of raw cauliflower is high in the antioxidant vitamin C -- required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body, and necessary for the formation of the important protein collagen, used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels.

Cauliflower also offers a healthy dose of potassium, fiber, and folic acid and contains a sulfur compound called isothiocyanate that protects health and prevents disease. Not all cauliflower is white. You can find green and orange varieties of this cruciferous (named for the cross-shaped flowers) cousin of broccoli and Brussels sprouts. The difference is in the amount (or absence) of chlorophyll present during the vegetable's growth.

Note:-
All vegetables in the cruciferous family -- kale, cabbage, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts -- are packed with vitamin C and potassium.

The above details taken from here

~ cauliflower mash ~

For anyone living a lower carb lifestyle or the LCHF lifestyle, we don't tend to do potatoes! Instead we look for, and use, a lower carb alternative; so instead of mashed potato, we may use Swede (Rutabaga), Celeriac or Cauliflower.

Now some may be a little dubious about the idea of "Mock" mashed potatoes. They have seen some pictures around the internet and although they look like the real deal, they could never really imagine it tasting like the real deal and the truth is that it doesn’t taste like real mashed potato BUT it is one very clever substitute.

For anyone trying to loose a few pounds or if you are following a low carb diet / lifestyle (or Paleo) then this would make a brilliant addition to your meals.

As said above, Cauliflowers are so good for you, they are rich in vitamins and minerals, have anti inflammatory benefits and can help to fight cancer.

You can jazz this cauliflower mash up any way you like by adding some Parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast), chilli flakes or fresh herbs and garlic. You can also substitute the butter for coconut oil or olive oil to make them dairy free too.

Here's how to make a good tasting Cauliflower Mash
Ingredients
Four Servings
700 - 800 grams Cauliflower Florets broken into equal size pieces
10 grams (Organic) unsalted butter
1 pinch Sea Salt
1-2 Tablespoons water, why not use the reserved liquid from the steamer
Instructions
1. Place the cauliflower florets into an already boiling steamer and steam for 8 - 10 minutes until firm but tender enough for a fork to slide through.
2. Remove the cauliflower from the steamer and place into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the butter and salt to the cauliflower and blitz with a hand blender until smooth.
4. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of the leftover water from the steamer and blitz again until light and fluffy.
... and now the important bit
5. Serve and enjoy.
Recipe and image above from here

Related Post
Cauliflower Low Carb Mash, flavour it your way - read more here


nothing to do with food, I just like this picture 😊
we have a robin (like this one) who likes to visit the garden
~ wishing you a happy day ~

This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or *underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

* Please be aware that Cauliflower is also rich in vitamin K, which can be a problem if you are on certain medications, specifically blood thinners. You may have been told to avoid cruciferous vegetables if you have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). As previously mentioned, if you have any concerns about your health, or medications, it is always advisable to consult your doctor, pharmacist or health care team.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Tom said...

...I need to try this.

CJ Kennedy said...

Sadly, cauliflower doesn't fly here. Himself won't eat it.

Elephant's Child said...

I am a BIG fan of cauliflower.

Carola Bartz said...

I like cauliflower, but I'm not sure I would fancy the mash that much. I buy cauliflower at the farmers market and it is so good that I wouldn't want to mash it.

Chatty Crone said...

That looked sooooooooooooooooo good! I went and copied the recipe and so good for you!

Lorrie said...

I like cauliflower mash. It's an acceptable substitute for potatoes, although I sometimes get tired of cauliflower.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I just love cauliflower mash and riced too!

jabblog said...

Roasted cauliflower is good, too . . . and raw . . . I like cauliflower!

Margaret D said...

Love Cauliflour and usually cook it for myself as husband can't have potassium.

eileeninmd said...

The cauliflower mash looks just like mashed potatoes.
My hubby would not eat cauliflower, I would like it.
The robin is so cute!
Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

Donna said...

Lol..."talk to the hand..."
Can't even stand the smell of the stuff...lol
hugs
Donna

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I do like your low carb recipes and I love cauliflower. The rest of the family are not so keen on this vegetable but I could try an odd floret or two mixed in with the potatoes. I know it is just down to taste and not health issues so I should be ok with a little bit of change.

Jo said...

I've never tried cauliflower mash, though I do like cauliflower. A good alternative to potatoes for those on a low carb diet.

Divers and Sundry said...

I like cauliflower raw, steamed, boiled... But I'll admit the last cauliflower I bought wasted away in the fridge never used :( I hate when I do that

Norma2 said...

Jan, you're right, mashed cauliflower is very rich and can perfectly replace mashed potatoes. I really like cauliflower au gratin with cheese or white sauce.

Iris Flavia said...

I like the most important bit :-)
Love cauliflower, too.

happyone said...

Though I love cauliflower, I don't care for it mashed. I need my mashed potatoes once in a while. :)

Luiz Gomes said...

Sou apenas por couve-flor. Obrigado pela dica.

New Release Books said...

I like cauliflower and this recipe sounds so good!

This N That said...

I like raw Cauliflower..Not a fan of cooked...:)

My name is Erika. said...

I;m glad you shared this post as I love cauliflower, but was curious about using it for mash. Next time I go to the market I am going to get some and try it. Happy new week!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like cauliflower but have never tried cauliflower mash!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Cauliflower au gratin is one of life’s unsung treats.

Phil Slade said...

I am sure I mentioned (several times)that I don't like to eat cauliflower. However the good news is that I may have been converted via the good things the veg does but also following a dish in Greece last September. The dish was grilled sea bass with and lemon dressing. Only when the dish arrived did I see the two crispy fillets floating upon a sea of puree. Enjoyed it so much that I returned for another go.

https://www.platanias-taverna.com/menu

carol l mckenna said...

Sounds delish and I love the photo of the sweet bird ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO Phil Slade

Many thanks for your comment and link to the menu at Patanias Taverna, it looks very nice, and I thought the Skiathos salad sounds rather tasty :)

So pleased that you enjoyed the sea bass and lemon dressing and that you may have been converted to eating a little cauliflower! You don't need to eat tons just a little now and again :)

My good wishes to you and Sue.

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Me gusta mucho la coliflor, pero nunca la he comido en puré, puede que la haga un día. Besos.

Conniecrafter said...

It would be so hard for me to totally give up potatoes