Total Pageviews

Monday 8 January 2024

Three Gut-Friendly Habits to Focus On This Year


Sharing words from an article by Laurentine ten Bosch

"The state of your gut health can and will influence the health of your entire body. It does this by influencing digestion as well as playing an essential role in the gut-brain axis. Through these two avenues, your gut health can impair almost every element of your body. With that in mind, here are the top 3 gut-friendly habits to focus on this year:

1. Focus On Gut-Friendly Nutrition
Good nutrition is essential for a healthy life, and it couldn’t be more true when it comes to supporting gut health. Your digestive system is the first port of call for any foods you eat; it’s where nutrients are absorbed and wastes are discarded, so where possible, you always want to be able to fill your diet with gut-friendly foods.

Foods you should definitely look to include are:
  • Probiotics; kimchi, kombucha, miso, and organic tempeh.
  • Prebiotics; apples, sauerkraut, asparagus, garlic, onion, leafy greens, and artichokes.
  • Antioxidants; berries, salmon, spinach, red bell peppers, dark chocolate, and turmeric.

2. Get Daily Exercise

You probably know that 20 minutes of daily exercise is needed for your fitness, but were you aware that you need it for gut health too? The truth is, your digestive system is made to move. Moving your body and exerting your energy stores helps to replenish the cycle, rather than letting everything get stale inside you. It’s always best to think of it as a free-flowing river; you want your body to be in the current, not in a murky pool to the side (as comfortable as that might be). And here’s where you get to have fun! Make your daily exercise something you enjoy! A walk with your dog (if you have one), a swim, a dance class with friends - remember any movement that you can do is good!

3. Reduce Overall Stress Levels
Stress, now that’s a big one. In our modern world, people are collectively more stressed than ever before, and it’s a different kind of stress. It’s chronic, so much so that the World Health Organization has previously called it the epidemic of the 21st Century (this was a couple of years ago, of course). Stress doesn’t just impact your mind - it influences your entire body - especially your gut health. The two are so interconnected, limiting stress may support healthy digestion, promote regularity, and ease bloat.

These three steps may seem small and simple, but stick to them this year and watch the changes unfold in your life..."
Words above from article here

Related Posts
Fermenting, and it's health benefits - read it here

Please note
Articles / studies within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account, and if you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

37 comments:

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Tom said...

...good things to know, thank you!

Susan Kane said...

Good directions. Common sense, really, but not every one follows common sense.

Inger said...

I'm doing well with the focus foods, except number one. I will try to remedy that. Thanks for all you do to help.

Mari said...

These are all good things to be working on. I used to walk daily, but have had a lot of issues with rheumatoid arthritis. Things have settled down a bit and I need to get back into that routine.

Linda said...

My stress level fell at the last election. Now, the scary next election is causing my stress levels to rise.

Christine said...

Stress is a good one to mention

Hena Tayeb said...

Excellent tips.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for the reminder. I need to work on stress levels and Probiotics. I am pretty good on Prebiotics and Antioxidants and working on the exercise front.

Margaret D said...

Good to read.

Lorrie said...

A healthy lifestyle adds quality to life.

Granny Marigold said...

Thanks for the important reminders! January always seems like the time to implement some changes (such as eating healthier and lessening stress).

Fun60 said...

Don't even recognise the probiotics so not doing well on that one.

jabblog said...

This is all good advice but no matter how many times it is repeated some people will always ignore it. I think good food habits have to start in the family.

Sami said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Jan.
I certainly need these habits for my gut health.

chica said...

Gostei dos teus recados e indicações. Valem muito!

beijos, ótima nova semana! chica

roentare said...

stress is indeed a killer

linda said...

Good advice which I will try to follow.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Good information, thanks for sharing.
I've been seeing Kombucha advertisements. It is new to me.
Take care, have a great week!

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Eddie and Jan,
These 3 points are very important to get a good and healthy life. Let's hope we can remember and do this all the time of the week.
Funny image.

Greetings, Marco

Jeanie said...

I could definitely do better on the probiotics and the exercise!

Cherie said...

I'm going home to brew some kombucha and make a batch of sauerkraut

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't do great with the ...biotics. I'll try to add one each for a while. Thanks.

Maria Rodrigues said...

Hi Jan,
As always, an excellent article, with great tips to improve our health. Normally my husband walks our dog, I'm going to start going with them.
Hugs and all the best
Maria

Linda said...

I need to find a way to get more exercise without injuring my foot again.

carol l mckenna said...

All great ideas ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laugther and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Valerie-Jael said...

Some good ideas! I am sad that I can't walk as much as I used to, but I have to take it as it comes! Have a great week! Valerie

Ananka said...

I do okay with the first point but need to work on 2 and 3. With this weather I haven't been getting out a lot walking and with being ill too I find it hard. And stress, yet it isn't good at all!

Rain said...

This is a very good post for me to read today, thank you Jan!

Carla from The River said...

Good ideas and my walking has increased since getting our rescue pup Ernie, and I can feel the difference in my health.
Carla

Aritha V. said...

It's such a good blog post. I find it difficult to bring down a stress level that's been high for years. I'm trying. 📝💪

Sue said...

Some great tips here. I really need to stop eating as if it's still Christmas lol. Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you very much for this interesting article. So informative!

baili said...

Great post friend!
Most of us hardly know that stress help in weight gain. Exercise and healthy eating habits are only option for being healthy.
Blessed days ahead Jan

Kim said...

Great tips! I need to focus on them, especially the exercise part.

Conniecrafter said...

Stress is the hardest to manage sometimes, and I feel like sometimes it is the hardest on us

Teresa said...

Siempre interesante lo que nos traes. Un abrazo.