Total Pageviews

Saturday 6 October 2012

Jimmy Smith - Sweet Georgia Brown

It's Saturday night again and Saturday night is music night here. This track sent in from Geoff, yes we are now taking requests. Post as a comment on this thread and we will play your request.


Part of my university 'education'

In my second year at Leeds, having had a year in 'halls,' I moved into a house-share with three other students. At some point in this year a fifth student was shoe-horned into our modest terraced house. I used to stop often at his door for a chat, often about music, and can clearly remember the time he played me this. Hope you enjoy it !

Geoff


1 comment:

John said...

The distinctive sound of the Hammond organ and one of its greatest proponents. He was a major influence on the UK early 60s jazz and blues bands – a good example is the Graham Bond Organisation which at one time consisted of Graham Bond (lead singer, keyboards and alto-sax), John McLaughlin (guitar), Jack Bruce (bass), Ginger Baker (drums) and Dick Heckstall-Smith (tenor and soprano sax).

In turn, Graham Bond became a major influence on a certain Jon Lord whom I believe achieved a little success