Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 October 2012

My ketogenic diet has worked for me for 4 years.

This last week I have had some fasting BGLs that are elevated for no apparent reason.  Last night I came to the realisation that I might have a UTI.  A couple of strong pain killers helped me eventually.  I headed into the A&E as it is the weekend and my GP's practice is closed.  
 
The triage nurse took my info asking all the relevant questions and asked if I was prone to UTI's.  I told her that I had had one.  She asked in what time frame that was and I said in my lifetime so she was happy with that.   She agreed that I probably did have a UTI and sent me off to produce a urine sample.  Didn't mention diabetes as she didn't ask.
 
A doctor eventually called me in and asked all the questions that the triage nurse had laboriously entered in the computer on my records.    I told him about my elevated BGLs and he asked what they were 6.2, 6.3 and asked if I was a diabetic.  He asked what medication I had taken and I told him about the pain killers I took.  He asked what diabetes meds I was on and I told him that I wasn't.  He again asked me and we clarified I was on no meds for any condition.  He agreed to prescribe an antibiotic and asked what I had last time.  I guessed a name and he said that was what he would recommend so I hope that was it.
 
He went off to find my urine test results and came back and informed me that there were ketones present in my results.  (YESSSSSSSSSS.  I had confirmation that that was where I wanted to be!!  Didn't tell him that...  too difficult to explain)  He then said that he wanted a check done on my BGLs and if they were under 8 I could go home!!!!!  I told him that they would be and if they were anywhere near 8 I would have to check in!
 
The nurse came to do my blood and he triumphantly told me I was a legend, 4.9.  I told him that was what I expected and was shown the door clutching my packet of antibiotics. 
 
The point of this anecdote is that I know that I need to be well informed about my diabetes and what works for me, be vigilant to changes (I should have been more observant about low grade tummy aches and raised BGLs but this was only my second event in 60 years with a UTI).  Know when to keep quiet (the ketones) and why I need to keep quiet.  My ketogenic diet has worked for me for about 4 years.
 
On a totally different topic my husband and I are going to a day long seminar in November in Sydney titled  "Low Carb Downunder" and the guest speakers include the great Jimmy (Living la vida low carb) Moore!!  Oh what Joy!!  Life is good.


Alison
 

3 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Great new Alison, must be all the hard work in the veg garden. Julie returned from visiting her sister in Sidney a few weeks ago.

Stay well

John

Kay said...

Just read your little story and so pleased to see you're still doing well.

Enjoy the "Low Carb Downunder". I'm sure a lot of people would like to hear about it.

Pleased to hear that, "Life is good"

Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alison, it is good to hear other peoples stories and good news on blogs and forums such as this.

Thanks again

Sal