Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 December 2016

No Xmas card from Dr.Carrie Ruxton RD.

As regular readers know, I have a great interest in dietetics. To make sure I keep up to date, on all the latest dietary information I follow many BDA dietitians. It stands to reason, with dietitians never stopping to tell us, they are the number one experts, it would be very remiss of me to fall behind, regarding the latest scientific information.

Note that 'Dr.' Carrie is no ordinary RD fresh out of Uni, our Carrie is very highly qualified. With this in mind I checked Dr. Carrie Ruxton's latest twitter tweets. Oh dear, not another high carb high sugar product hitting the streets. As you can see Brodericks are into cavemen and cakes. I'm going to stick my neck out here, to date I have no nutritional data on these new cereal bars. But, I have one keen sense of smell, and I am smelling junk. The sort of junk that has played a leading role in the epidemics of obesity and the often linked type two diabetes.


Carrie and I have a bit of history as you can see below,

Back in December 2013 I blogged about an article I read in the Daily Mail. One of the points I mentioned, was a quote from Dr. Carrie Ruxton registered dietitian. I said

The most ludicrous comment came from Carrie Ruxton, an independent dietitian, said that “carbs are the body’s main source of energy – and the brain’s only source”

All credit to Carrie, she is the only UK dietitian to have ever commented on this blog other than anons. She stated.

“Eddie, my comments in the Daily Mail were not exactly as I'd said them to Fiona McRae. Instead of sounding off in this bitchy way, why don't you ask me what I think about this topic? You know nothing at all about me”

So, another case of the dreaded misquote, a very regular feature when reading press articles from UK dietitians, especially when I quote them, what a strange coincidence. I'll move on. I replied.

I do know something about you Carrie, you're a registered Dietitian and you are all over the internet. Ex employee of the The Sugar Bureau, working for the The Fat Information Service, a Unilever shill flogging margarine, recently flogging tea to children via the The Tea Advisory Panel, working with The Proprietary Association of Great Britain (membership most of the worlds big pharma companies) flogging supplements.

Not so long ago Dr. John Briffa shredded you for misleading information, posted but now removed from The Fat Information Service website. Let’s face it Carrie you flog, promote or endorse stuff for money. That’s cool with me, but sugar and marg is junk in my opinion, and big pharma’s reputation is abysmal, hence the $billions in fines for illegal activities. I have a very keen sense of smell and I'm smelling four pound of condemned veal. Junk food big pharma oh dear.

Anyway let’s cut to the chase, did you or did you not say “carbs are the body’s main source of energy – and the brain’s only source” as quoted in the Daily Mail? Most interested in any comment you have to make, especially on your views for the control of type two diabetes using a low carb high fat diet.

BTW check out margarine production, good grief it’s a failed science experiment if ever I saw one. It’s no wonder butter sales are going up and marg sales are plummeting.

Carrie replied

"I said glucose is the brain's only source of energy under normal conditions and carbs are the body's preferred fuel. I have no experience of using high fat diets to control diabetes so I can't comment. The Daily Mail article was about low carb diets for weight control. My view on this is that you can get the same benefit from low GI/GL high fibre diets and, so, it is not necessary to restrict carbs"

The above comment was picked up by a very well controlled type two diabetic I know and he posted this comment.

"Carrie you are a professional dietitian so I am shocked by your appalling admission that you have no knowledge of lchf regimes for use in either weight loss or diabetes control. Dont you have a responsibility to keep your self up to date with 21st century thinking. Its not as if any of this is particularly new for example the Swedish Health service and government actively promote lchf regimes both for weight loss and diabetes control since 2011 based on ample research carried out in the previous 10 years. Perhaps noting the fact that Sweden is only 2nd to Iceland in having the smallest incidence of T2 diabetes in the industrialised nations should be giving you and others in your profession a bit of a clue"

Well, after this minor bun-fight, Carrie hit the block button on twitter. I have come to learn, even PhD dietitians have no straight answers, for my straight questions. Which is very odd when you think about it. Perhaps these RD's have no answers, maybe I am a genius, and my dietary knowledge is on such a higher plain, they feel inadequate. Manifestly not the case. It is my opinion the RD's have the answers, but hey, only a complete mug would bite off the hand that feeds, and junk food outfits feed very well. 

Eddie 

7 comments:

only slightly confused said...

Listen to your dietitian, listen to your body and then, follow the one making the most sense.,

Helen said...

~~ and eat to your meter if you are diabetic!

Magic Love Crow said...

Good for you Eddie!

Unknown said...

Dear Eddie
I am still slightly bemused why you want to keep attacking me. If you are so keen to promote the low carb diet for diabetics, why don't you engage with me instead of posting critical and, to be frank, rather petulant comments. I am open minded to evidence and I have not blocked you on Twitter! You are welcome to email me any time with scientific evidence relating to diabetes control.
Carrie

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Carrie, just letting you know Eddies away till Friday he won't see your comment until he gets back

Graham

davidgolfpro said...

You are Eddie.

Lowcarb team member said...

davidgolfpro said...
.
"You are Eddie."

And you are Mary Poppins

Graham XX