Total Pageviews

Wednesday 17 June 2020

Beef Stew ... the Mary Berry way !



Yes, I know it's June and perhaps a little unusual to have a stew in summer months, but with the weather in some parts not too summery, sometimes a stew can be most enjoyable … especially this recipe from Mary Berry. She is one of the best-known and respected cookery writers and broadcasters in the UK. This recipe featured on the TV show 'A Berry Royal Christmas' in which Mary accompanies the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on four special visits. 

It's a warming beef stew flavoured with ginger, paprika and horseradish. Goes nicely with mashed swede (rutabaga) and green vegetables. 

Ingredients
Serves Six
For this recipe you will need a 2 litre/3½ pint shallow ovenproof and flameproof dish or pan.

1 tbsp (sunflower) oil
750g/1lb 10oz braising steak, cut into 2cm/¾in cubes
25g/1oz butter
2 small leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp paprika
40g/1½oz plain flour
425ml/¾ pint good-quality beef stock, hot
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 small celeriac, peeled and cubed into 2cm/¾in pieces
2 heaped tbsp hot horseradish cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper

chopped fresh parsley, to garnish 

Method
1. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan and fry the meat over high heat until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

2. Preheat the oven to 325º F 165º C gas mark 3
3. Add the butter and leeks to the unwashed pan, and fry for a few minutes. Sprinkle in the ginger, paprika and flour, stir and cook for a minute. Stir in the stock and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper. Return the meat to the pan, bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 1¾–2 hours. After this time, stir in the celeriac, bring back to the boil for a few minutes then return to the oven for about 30 minutes, until the meat and celeriac are tender.
5. Stir in the horseradish cream, sprinkle with parsley and serve at once. 
From original idea here

You may want to try 'Posh Roasted Vegetables - The Mary Berry Way' see here


A variety of recipe ideas are within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

JFM said...

Oh how this made my mouth water!
Looks delicious!!!☕

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the Beef Stew looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

R's Rue said...

Yum

Tom said...

... the Mary Berry way looks like a good way.

Fun60 said...

I love a good stew and you can't go wrong with Mary Berry.

Debbie said...

the stew sounds so good to me right now!!! i can't make stew without potatoes and carrots, it's like a tradition!!!

Sue said...

Ooh this looks nice but I'm passing on the horseradish!! Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish we got Mary Berry in the states, other than on the old Great British Bake-Offs. That is the only show I know her from. She is certainly a great chef and super baker.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like a nice stew, in fact I had a beef stew today, a Belguin stew.

Christine said...

The stew looks delicious, I love stew.

Elephant's Child said...

I am a big fan of one pot dishes. The flavour combinations here look great.

Jeanie said...

Mary Berry and beef stew -- what's not to love!

Dom said...

Always trust Mary Berry! This looks incredible 😍

Susan Kane said...

Mary Berry is such a delightful person. Having seen her with Paul Hollywood on British Bakers! She has a wit and can put Paul in his place.

I went to the site, and will go back, soon.

Angela said...

It looks delicious!

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds yummy. And I am going to watch in case that Mary Berry show ever comes to Netflix. It sounds like a good one.

happyone said...

Yummy.

Angie said...

Would you believe we have a fire going in the fireplace right now? Yes, unseasonably cool and rainy, so maybe a stew is in order. And I love anything by Mary Berry!

Kay said...

Oh gosh! That looks amazing! We keep preparing food that will last at least 3 days so we don’t have to cook. Stew would do it.

mamasmercantile said...

Looks delicious, definitely one I would try.

Margaret D said...

Looks very nice.
It's winter here and I do sometimes have a stew in summer.

A Cuban In London said...

That looks delicious. Plus, anything with ginger and paprika, I'm in! :-)

Greetings from London.

Ygraine said...

Although I don't eat beef, this does look delicious...and my hubby would love it!
Those "posh roasted vegetables" though are definitely my thing!😊😊
Thank you so much!

Have a super day...and stay safe (and dry!😕)

Hugs xxx

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We love meals that aren't cooked in the oven during the summer months! This looks wonderful! Enjoy your day!

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, I love horseradish! Added to favorites for cooler times :-)
(And I´ll work it around the oven, I guess...)

sandy said...

as a Kid I hated beef stew - there was something about the meat that was so different from what we would normally have - like when my mom would cook round steak and gravy or a good roast. Then I found out she would use the last expensive beef for stew.

As an adult I can't bring myself to eat stew, still to this day. But the photo of it looks delicious and the ingredients in it.

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks GREAT! Valerie

Martha said...

So yummy! Something I would enjoy.

Teresa said...

El estofado se ve muy bueno. Un beso.