Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 August 2020

Acedia: the lost name for the emotion we’re all feeling right now


Covid 19 is still very much here, and we are all having to adjust to 'a new normal'. As we all find ways to do this, I thought this article by Jonathan Zecher, from the Australian Catholic University an interesting read, and I share snippets from it below.
The link to his full article is at the end of this post. 

"With some communities in rebooted lockdown conditions and movement restricted everywhere else, no one is posting pictures of their sourdough. Zoom cocktail parties have lost their novelty, Netflix can only release so many new series. The news seems worse every day, yet we compulsively scroll through it.

We get distracted by social media, yet have a pile of books unread. We keep meaning to go outside but somehow never find the time. We’re bored, listless, afraid and uncertain.

What is this feeling?

John Cassian, a monk and theologian wrote in the early 5th century about an ancient Greek emotion called acedia. A mind “seized” by this emotion is “horrified at where he is, disgusted with his room … It does not allow him to stay still in his cell or to devote any effort to reading”. He feels:

such bodily listlessness and yawning hunger as though he were worn by a long journey or a prolonged fast … Next he glances about and sighs that no one is coming to see him. Constantly in and out of his cell, he looks at the sun as if it were too slow in setting.

This sounds eerily familiar. Yet, the name that so aptly describes our current state was lost to time and translation.


.......

Social distancing limits physical contact. Lockdown constricts physical space and movement. Working from home or having lost work entirely both upend routines and habits. In these conditions, perhaps it’s time to bring back the term.

.......

Reviving the language of acedia is important to our experience in two ways.

First, it distinguishes the complex of emotions brought on by enforced isolation, constant uncertainty and the barrage of bad news from clinical terms like “depression” or “anxiety”.

Saying, “I’m feeling acedia” could legitimise feelings of listlessness and anxiety as valid emotions in our current context without inducing guilt that others have things worse.

Second, and more importantly, the feelings associated with physical isolation are exacerbated by emotional isolation – that terrible sense that this thing I feel is mine alone. When an experience can be named, it can be communicated and even shared."


The above is just a snippet taken from Jonathan Zecher's article which you can read in full here

h/t Marks Daily Apple here

some flowers for you to enjoy  

Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, cartoons, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, an interesting read and link.
I do not like what you call the new normal, but it is what it is.

George C

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sure are pretty flowers and yes I would would use the word "Multi" to describe my feeling on covid.

Christine said...

A new word for me. Beautiful flowers!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Tenemos que adaptarnos a una nueva manera de vivir. No hay que caer en un pesimisto y no dejarnos llevar por el desánimo.

Besos

Lowcarb team member said...

VENTANA DE FOTO said...
Tenemos que adaptarnos a una nueva manera de vivir. No hay que caer en un pesimisto y no dejarnos llevar por el desánimo.

Beso


Google translate:
We have to adapt to a new way of living. We must not fall into a pessimist and not get carried away by discouragement.

Kisses

Elephant's Child said...

I saw that article this week. Sadly true.
Thank you for the cheery flowers.

DUTA said...

The word Acedia has a nice ring about it, but actually it refers to negative emotions such as apathy, anxiety, depression. The uncertainty caused by the covid-19 virus makes us feel one or more of the above emotions.
We must find the inner strength to cope with the situation and avoid experiencing Acedia.

Our photos said...

Unfortunately we have to live with this for probably a long time...scary times !!

bobbie said...

Yep ~ I definitely have this condition!!! Nice to know it is not just me!

It's me said...

I really like your blog Jan....happy sunday 💕🍀💕love Ria

JFM said...

Perfect reading in these trying times.
Thank you ☕

Gloria Baker said...

I know we live really difficult times and sometimes we dont know what is the following! send you hugs and love Jan, take care

John M said...

Interesting description, thanks.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Is there room to be positive?

God bless.

Lee said...

Thank you for introducing me to this word..to my knowledge...recollection..I've not seen or heard of it previously. It certainly does describe the current feeling, worldwide.

Best wishes from Down Under...keep taking good care of yourselves. :)

roughterrain crane said...

We are now facing the time to ask ourselves what happiness in community means.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jan interesting post and I agree I think that this is going to be the new normal for quite awhile,stay safe my friend xx

Margaret D said...

Definitely a new way of doing things these days, and if we don't want Covid-19 we have to do what we are told, like it or lump it. Hopefully then we won't get it.
Take care.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think you've described many of us, especially those of us who live alone. It's sad how things have changed in just six months. I think this post came at a very good time, Jan.

Natalia said...

I have heard this word before. Such difficult times we live in now. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Marco Luijken said...

Hello,
This is indeed very recognizable.
We all need to find a way to live in this. It's not always nice.

Greetings, Marco

DVArtist said...

Really wonderful post.

Alicia said...

Such a beautiful word for such a terrible emotion. Well I learned something today which is always good. Thanks for sharing the word, and the information.

Divers and Sundry said...

"Acedia" doesn't capture what I'm feeling, but these days are difficult to navigate, aren't they :(

sage said...

Thanks for these insights.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

mamasmercantile said...

I have never come across this word before so it is nice to learn something new.

Sue said...

I'm very lucky in that I don't live alone, my children, parents, and the rest of my family are all well, and we are retired so don't have to go out to work every day. It's nice to be able to put a word to my feeling of 'can't be bothered' Take care and have as good a week as possible. Sue xx

RO said...

Wow! This is quite fascinating to read about, and I thank you. Most people assume that I'm an extrovert, but I'm really an introvert that's worked hard at pretending to be an extrovert(lol) It was easier as a kid when I was in the Air Force and traveling for business, or as a teen, but these days being an introvert seems to work as I maintain social distance. But I do still love people, and you're right - the new normal will be so different. Excuse me while I get back to my HUGE pile of books(lol) Hugs, RO

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! I'm usually content to spend a lot of time at home as long as I can hike some...but I am definitely starting to feel different. I'm going to make a few changes in my decor tomorrow and maybe try to start an art project. I sure could use a boost in my attitude. Thanks for sharing this!

Jeanie said...

I"m glad I haven't got to that place yet -- acedia. I'm still quite content with my world. But you are right -- having a word for it DOES seem to legitimize it and remind us this is an old, ancient feeling and we are not alone, nor is it "bad."

Teresa said...

No conocía esta palabra y creo que muchas personas la sienten. Tu ramo de flores son preciosas. Besos y mucha salud.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like the idea of bringing back that ancient word. It does fit right now. The whole situation has become tiresome at this point, but I understand why we need to continue with all of the rules that are in place. Continued shortages of certain items is frustrating.

sandy said...

very interesting.

Snowbird said...

That is just fascinating! Yes, that word sure fits the times.xxx