Total Pageviews

Monday 3 August 2020

Intermittent fasting : In women over 60


Time-restricted eating and intermittent fasting have become popular tools to promote weight loss and insulin sensitivity. Diet Doctor site cover the many different versions of time-restricted eating in their guide written by Dr. Ted Naiman, which you can see here 

Below, I share a post from Dr. Bret Scher who writes about how post-menopausal women respond to time-restricted eating, which some of our readers may find interesting.

"Intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating (TRE) are two of the most popular trends for promoting health and weight loss. But are they effective and feasible for all of us? 

There has been some question about how post-menopausal women respond to time-restricted eating. Since this is a particular population that struggles with weight gain, it makes sense that we would want to know if TRE is an effective approach for them. Now, a new study sheds light on the question. 

The study, published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, enrolled 45 women over age 60. They were then randomly assigned to either a control group or to the intervention group, who were instructed to completely abstain from food for 16 hours, or from 8pm until noon the following day. Notably, the intervention group was not instructed to change what they ate, only when they ate. 

After six-weeks, there was a small improvement in body weight (1.4 kilos) and fat mass in the TRE group, with no such improvements in the control group. There was no loss of muscle mass in either group. The study makes no mention of any adverse effects, and compliance was very good at 88%. 

This small study lends more evidence to the belief that TRE can be a powerful tool for women over age 60. While the absolute weight and fat mass lost was small, keep in mind that this was only a 6-week study and it made no changes to what the subjects ate. 

As Diet Doctor site details in their guides on breaking a weight loss stall, TRE is likely an effective and safe practice for most people. When combined with low carb, it may be even more effective!"

Above words and picture from article here

You may also be interested in reading:
Top 10 tips to lose weight on low carb or keto for women 40+ : see here
Introduction to low-carb for beginners : see here

All the best Jan

17 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I made a copy of both of those articles. Thanks.

Elephant's Child said...

Intermittent fasting works well for me.

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a good method for many people to lose weight or keep their weight! Valerie

DVArtist said...

I have been a believer in this for 20 years. We eat dinner and our finale meal of the day around 2 PM. After that I drink water. This helps me tremendously with controlling my weight. Good article.

sandy said...

Interesting ..not to change what they eat but when they eat.

I like that idea and it would be easy.

CJ Kennedy said...

I jusr saw something about this and was wondering about it. Thanks for the info

Margarida Pires said...

Olá Jan!
Artigo muito interessante!
Abraço!✨💐😘
Megy Maia🌈

Jeanie said...

Very interesting. Thank you!

Tom said...

...I'll pass, I don't fit the bill.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's an interesting article. I will keep that in mind when the time is right.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Useful for me. I'm a female at age of 60.

Sue said...

Im a one meal a day girl and it works very well for me x

Rose said...

That really shouldn't be too hard to do.

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting. My issue is I am one of those people who rebounds from weight loss with extra weight gain. I'm more focused on eating when hungry and eating healthy. But so many people are talking about this form of eating. Thanks for sharing the study.

Angie said...

I don't have weight issues at the moment, but this is good to know for the future, when I may be less active!

Conniecrafter said...

Interesting

Divers and Sundry said...

I was never much interested in breakfast, and I've found having 2 meals works better. I'm so glad to see less emphasis on breakfast as a necessity.