Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 March 2021

Scallions : Spring Onions : Green Onions ... so good raw or cooked

Spring onions are also known as scallions or green onions. Spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested before the bulb has had a chance to swell. Both the long, slender green tops and the small white bulb are edible, and are good either raw or cooked. They have a similar flavour to onions, but are much milder.



Availability
All year round, and easy to grow in a vegetable patch from seed.
Choose the best
Go for spring onions with firm, unblemished bulbs and bright green perky leaves. Avoid those that are slimy or wilting. The skin covering a spring onion bulb can be either white or deep red fading to white at the roots - there's no significant difference in taste. Similarly, the bulb can be quite pronounced or more like a leek in shape, with no noticeable swelling; again, this has no impact on flavour.
Prepare it
Wash, then trim off the root as well as any ragged ends at the top. Slice the bulb into rounds. Cut the green tops across (kitchen scissors are good for this) or lengthways with a knife, then lengthways again, according to what shape you'd like. If you want to make the tops into a garnish, cut into slim lengths, as above, then stand in ice cold water for 30 minutes.
Store it
In a perforated bag in the fridge. Spring onions don't last as long as onions, so use within four or five days.
Alternatives
Try shallot.
Recipe suggestions using spring onions / scallions

Veggie Scramble : Breakfast Quick and Easy : Low Carb / Keto
recipe/more details here


Scrambled Egg and Feta Hash : Low Carb : A Joe Wicks favourite
recipe/more details here


Garlic and chilli prawns with cauliflower rice
recipe/more details here


Salmon, Cucumber and Radish Salad : Perfect For Salad Days
recipe/more details here


Chicken Wings Provençal
recipe/more details here


Dear reader, a variety of articles, and recipe ideas, are within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

35 comments:

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta ami me gustan las cebolletas . Te mando un beso

Martha said...

I always put the little bottoms with the roots in little shot glasses with a little water and put them next to my kitchen window. They regrow and fast! I recently discovered they can be frozen too. :)

William Kendall said...

Good suggestions!

Susan Kane said...

Just had some spring onions. So good.

Evi Erlinda said...

These foods look so tasty.
I like green onions on my noodles and soups

Catarina said...

All of them look absolutely delicious!
My type of dishes!!

Christine said...

Thanks for these delicious recipes with spring onions.

Elephant's Child said...

Yum- and they are easier to chop too.

Margaret D said...

All looking good.
Shallots/spring onions do taste wonderful.

Jo said...

I enjoy spring onions. Some very tasty looking recipes there to try.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love green spring onions. They are so tiny and sweet. I just wash them, cut off the roots, and eat them as an accompaniment to my meal. They are wonderful as they are. However, thanks for the recipes, too.

Valerie-Jael said...

Spring onions are great. Thanks for the recipe ideas, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

They all look delicious, great choices.
Thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your day!

sheila 77 said...

I didn’t know that Spring Onions were baby onions, that’s amazing.
Thanks for a great scrambled eggs recipe - something different for a weekend breakfast.

Tom said...

...something that I rarely eat.

DUTA said...

Onions in general, and green onions in particular are a favorite of mine. Green onions make any dish tastier and more enjoyable. Your suggestions for use with green onions look perfect!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh all of these plates look so good. I will have to try a few.

bazza said...

I put chopped up spring onions in lots of different foods. Egg mayonnaise etc but always in any salad that I make. I will try scrambled eggs next!
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s ultimately unthinkable Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

happyone said...

Delicious looking meals.

Shari Burke said...

I store my scallions in a jar with a small bit of water in the bottom--enough to cover the roots and a bit above. They last for a long time and regrow after being cut. Or I put the ends in a pot of soil and they keep on growing and regrowing :-)

Margarida Pires said...

Eddie!
Que comida deliciosa!
Eu adoro com grão!
Um beijinho!
Megy Maia👄💗👄

NatureFootstep said...

onions are welcome in most dishes :)

Rose said...

I love spring onions...

Sami said...

I had no idea Spring onions were baby onions, I just thought they were a different vegetable. I use them a lot in some salads with eggs, tuna or prawns.

Sue said...

I don't mind a little bit, but Neil has been known to go a little mad with the onions! Take care and have a great weekend, Sue xx

My name is Erika. said...

I need to expand for dinner choices after reading this post. I enjoyed reading about scallions or spring onions. I use them a lot.

Pam said...

I don't use them much anymore but when I was younger my mom would serve them with beans...and I loved just grabbing on and biting into it.

Breathtaking said...

Hello,:=) All recipes look delicious. I love Spring Onions, my mother used to use them a lot in salads, and they are so easy to prepare. Thank you for giving me some more ideas on how to use them in other ways.

Bill said...

Love spring onions. The recipes look delicious, thanks for sharing.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images Jan.

DMS said...

I love onions. All these tasty recipes are making me hungry! :)
~Jess

Ananka said...

I do love spring onions!

Jeanie said...

Spring onions are one of my favorites and I always have them and use them in many things. I've linked to all these recipes -- they look fabulous!

Thanks for your visits to my blog this weekend, which I most enjoy! Love your comments!

Conniecrafter said...

We do love to use green onions in our meals

baili said...

my knew exactly how to grow spring onions and how to use them in dishes :)

yes they are so good in omelette and in dishes with various vegetable