Total Pageviews

Monday 30 May 2022

Keep your feet fit as you age !

Feet were made for walking, and it can be so enjoyable can't it. However, as we age many of us can experience problems with our feet, so it is important to take care of them. This article gives a few hints and tips.


'Fitter feet
Problems with your feet can stop you getting out and about. They can also affect your balance and increase the risk of falling. So it’s important to look after your feet, and report problems such as foot pain and decreased feeling to a healthcare professional.

How can I look after my feet
A simple foot routine will help keep your feet in good condition, including:
  • wearing suitable footwear
  • keeping your toenails short
  • regularly moisturising your feet
  • checking for cracked skin, blisters and signs of infection.
Which types of shoes are best for my feet
You may find that trainers or well-cushioned shoes are more comfortable than ordinary shoes and offer welcome support.

These footwear tips can help you feel more confident on your feet.
  • Always wear shoes or slippers. To avoid slips, never walk indoors in bare feet, socks or tights.
  • Wear shoes that fit well. High-sided shoes with low heels, thin soles and a good grip are a good choice.
  • Avoid wearing sandals and shoes with high heels.
  • Wear slippers that have a good grip and fasten up. Loose or worn out slippers may cause you to trip.
Where can I get my toenails clipped?
Good nail care can help to keep feet feeling comfortable. Nails that are too long can press against the end of the shoe and the constant pressure can cause soreness. Toenails that have been poorly cut can also become ingrown.

If you’re struggling to cut your own nails, ask a friend or family member for help. If that isn’t an option, in the UK many local 'Age UKs' offer toenail-cutting services. This service operates from a number of clinics.

Why should I get my feet checked?
Common problems like corns, cracked skin and ingrown toenails can be treated successfully. Conditions like diabetes or circulatory problems can all be picked up by looking at the feet.

If you have a long-term condition, such as diabetes, arthritis or chronic problems with blood circulation in your legs, your feet are particularly vulnerable. Check your feet regularly and ensure you attend check-ups as requested. If you notice any problems, report them to your doctor as soon as possible.

Where should I go to get my feet checked?
In the UK, if your foot condition affects your health or mobility, you may be able to have a routine chiropody appointment on the NHS. A chiropodist (also known as a podiatrist) can treat most common problems successfully. Contact your doctor to see if you are eligible for NHS treatment. You can also pay privately.'
Words above from article here
See also, Diabetes and Cold Feet, some possible causes and treatment - here


Please note articles within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

A variety of articles and recipe ideas are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Tom said...

..I have arthritis in my right foot.

DUTA said...

So true! As I advance in age , my feet become more vulnerable. I manage to take care of them, but it's not easy.

Lorrie said...

I go barefoot as much as possible in the house, and rarely wear slippers, never shoes indoors. In winter I will put on socks.
A good foot massage feels wonderful, too.

sandy said...

Good info here.
happy Memorial Day Monday ahead.

Christine said...

Good tips.

Jenn Jilks said...

Excellent ideas.

My name is Erika. said...

I think we ignore our feet too often. This was interesting and a good reminder not to ignore that part of our bodies. Happy new week.

Elephant's Child said...

My blood flow to my feet is good. My sensation is not. So I am in danger of falls.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like those socks.
Coffee is on and stay safe

J.P. Alexander said...

En especial si eres diabetico debes cuidar los pies. Te mando un beso.

Jules said...

Some great advice. I'm learning to take better care of my feet these days. X

Margaret D said...

Goodness I wouldn't go too well to what is written about wearing shoes. I never wear shoes but only sandals, winter, summer, autumn and spring even on the coldest of days I wear sandals or thongs (feet thongs).

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Es fundamentalel cuidado de los pies. Suelo ir a cortarme las uñas a una podóloga y de paso me quita una callocidad, que siempre me sale en el mismo sitio y se debe a mi forma de caminar.

Que tengas un excelente día.

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the info. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Creations By Cindy said...

Enjoyed reading this. I have also learned from my yoga instructor that foot massage is great for the feet. She will say, "your feet deserve a little love too, after all, they will carry you from place to place". Hugs and blessings, Cindy

NatureFootstep said...

thanks for a great post. Our feet is very important. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

Soooo important to keep those feet good and healthy!

Jeff said...

Good reminders. As one who has enjoyed long distance hiking, taking care of the feet is important (also good insoles). I remember the morning I laced up my boots as I prepared to climb Mt. Katahdin, at the end of the Appalachian Trail. Yes, even after months of hiking, my feet were still hurting.

Conniecrafter said...

I agree with foot problems throwing things off, my balance has been off for awhile now, they can't figure out what is going on with me though

Giorgio said...

I also have arthritis in my both feet. I agree with Lorrie: it's great to walk barefoot in the house on carpets.
Great post, Jan!



William Kendall said...

My go to shoes tend to be steel toe shoes, which as it turns out are very comfortable.

Jeanie said...

Feet have been my nemesis forever, with heel spurs and now orthotics in the shoes (which help a lot but limit footwear choices!). When I walked all over England in 2018, it was with a ruptured tendon in one foot. But what are you going to do? So reviewing these excellent strategies is always good for me -- and good for other readers, too!

Mary Kirkland said...

All very good advice.

Rose said...

This is great advice...I for one have never worn high heels, and never plan to. LOL

DVArtist said...

It's more important than people know.

Hilly Nicolay said...

It is very important to take good care of your feet.
Thank you for the article.

Greetings and all the best,
Hilly

Teresa said...

Todos tus reportajes son muy interesantes. Besos.