Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 February 2023

Meatless Menu Choices : Chilli tofu veg ‘noodles’ : Spicy leek and white bean stew

We certainly eat a wide variety of food in our house, and sometimes we will take a vegetarian option. I know many readers choose to eat vegetarian, and some vegan, and it is of course a personal choice. The two recipes I share today are both 'meatless'. I happen to have some leeks, so it's possible the second recipe shown here could be enjoyed quite soon!

Chilli tofu veg ‘noodles’


Ingredients
Serves Two
10 sprays olive oil
200g firm tofu, cut into cubes
1 garlic clove, crushed
Thumb-size piece fresh ginger, grated
1 fresh red chilli, finely sliced
2 spring onions/scallions, finely sliced
2 courgettes/zucchini (320g), finely sliced into ‘noodles’ with a julienne peeler or spiraliser
1 carrot (160g), finely sliced into ‘noodles’ with a julienne peeler or spiraliser
2 tsp sesame oil
Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
Fresh coriander to serve

Method
1. Heat the spray oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the tofu and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning regularly, until golden. Add the garlic, ginger and half the chilli and spring onions/scallions, then cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the courgette/zucchini and carrot ‘noodles’ to the pan and cook, tossing, for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil, lime zest and juice, then divide between two plates. Serve sprinkled with the coriander, remaining sliced chilli and spring onions/scallions.
Nutrition Per Serving
Fat 13.2g Protein 17.2g Carbohydrates 11.1g
From original idea here

Spicy leek and white bean stew



Ingredients
Serves Four
Olive oil for frying
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 leeks, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp harissa paste
400g tin chopped tomatoes
300ml vegetable stock 
2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed,
Juice of a lemon
A large handful of chopped fresh parsley
Fresh crusty bread, to serve (perhaps a low carb bread*)

Method
1. Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan. Fry the onion gently over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened. Meanwhile, add the garlic and the leeks to the pan and cook for a further minute. Stir in the harissa paste, chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, season, then cook for 20 minutes.
2. Add the tins of cannellini beans, then simmer for a further couple of minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then stir in the juice of a lemon and a large handful of chopped fresh parsley. Serve with plenty of fresh crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Nutrition Per Serving
Fat 4g Protein 12.9g Carbohydrates 30.2g
From original idea here

*Looking for low carb bread, then take a look at this post here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

33 comments:

William Kendall said...

As I do not go for beans,I would avoid this.

Anonymous said...

The spicy leek and white bean stew appeals to me.

Tina

Inger said...

We used to eat a lot of leeks when I grew up. I've never tried it since. I like the idea of spicy leeks.

Tom said...

...it looks good, but I've never had tofu.

Chatty Crone said...

Like beans - no tofu or spice!

peppylady (Dora) said...

They both look yummy.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Margaret D said...

Looks good the recipes, but I'm a meat person.

Lorrie said...

The bean stew looks good. We never eat tofu.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's hard to find tofu where I live. I have to go to a specialty market to buy it. The bean and leek meal sounds good, though.

roentare said...

Looks neat healthy dishes

bazza said...

Looks fabulous. I'll wait until you start deliveries!
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s mockingly merciless Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I would like all the veggies, but not the tofu.

Take care, have a wonderful week!

linda said...

Both sound lovely, I would have to leave out the harrisa paste though.

R's Rue said...

Yum.

Valerie-Jael said...

Very yummy! Valerie

Christine said...

Delicious recipes thanks!

CJ Kennedy said...

Snow expected today so the Leek and White Bean Stew would be so warm and comforting.

NanaDiana said...

I can't tell you how many times I have tried tofu (several different ways) and I just can't bring myself to like it. I use spaghetti squash for noodles all the time though. Have a great week- xo Diana

Jenn Jilks said...

I have failed mercilessly to go meatless more often!
Great recipes!

Conniecrafter said...

My hubby will not eat those kind of beans so that one is out for us.

Sussi said...

Both sound and look very good!

Divers and Sundry said...

I do like beans, but have never tried tofu.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Both dishes look very appetizing.
I look at the photos and I can't take my eyes off them.
Hugs and greetings.

Bill said...

It looks and sounds delicious. We just had some tofu yesterday.

Mary Kirkland said...

I haven't tried tofu yet but I want to.

Teresa said...

Seguro que está riquísimo. Besos.

My name is Erika. said...

These both look delicious.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

These two recipes look really delicious! I'm always looking for more plant-based recipes. Thanks for sharing them.

Snowbird said...

Oh my, I'm salivating. I'll be giving both of these a whirl.xxx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Those look delicious.

Cherie said...

Love the sound of the leek and bean stew. It's a great way to use up some of my home grown leeks.

Martha said...

I don't eat much meat, so I always appreciate these types of dishes!

Debbie said...

that stew looks amazing...i can't eat tofu, i really don't like it!!