Total Pageviews

Monday 20 February 2023

Pancake Day 2023 : The pancakes are low carb In our house !

The UK has a fairly unique tradition known as “Pancake Day”, which is on the 21st of February in 2023, and comes the day before Lent begins. This day is otherwise known as “Shrove Tuesday” and is 47 days before Easter Sunday. In other cultures, Mardi Gras takes place on this date. Pancake day is an observance only, not an official bank holiday.

In times gone by, people felt the need to use up all eggs, butter, and sugar just before Lent because these items were to be given up during the fasting period. Therefore, it made sense to make pancakes out of the ingredients, and so the tradition of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday was born.

There are also pancake races held in England this time of year, the most famous one taking place in Olney, Buckinghamshire. You have to flip a pancake in a pan while racing hundreds of yards and not dropping it on the ground. The other big tradition for pancake day is the annual Shrovetide Football matches.

well Eddie and I don't plan to flip our pancakes
but we may enjoy a few low carb ones, as detailed below

Low Carb Crepes / Pancakes


These crepes/pancakes are virtually carb-free and are very easy to make, although you use ricotta cheese they do not taste of cheese.

Ingredients
200 Grams of ricotta cheese
3 eggs
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
A splash of milk

Method
Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl - add a splash of milk if the mix is too thick to run freely.
Place a small knob of butter into a (frying) pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table-spoons of mix.
Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown.
This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes/pancakes.
Allow to cool and fill with cream cheese and finely chopped spring onions or smoked salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like.
Roll up the crepe and enjoy.
Great at any time and very good for the lunch box or picnics.
Also great warmed up with some low carb berries and double cream.
Or why not serve with a slice of lemon - gently squeezed over the crepes.

Will you be enjoying pancakes?

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan


38 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I remember the pancake racing. Thank you for this recipe, I love pancakes!

Teresa said...

No conocía esa tradición y me parece muy interesante. Besos.

Tom said...

...something to try.

Bill said...

The recipe sounds good, thank you.

Christine said...

Happy Pancake Day!

happyone said...

We have pancakes quite often at our house. It's my favorite!

DUTA said...

Pancake Day - that's a new one for me. Anyway, I love pancakes and your recipe looks perfect!

Catarina said...

I have ricotta cheese today!!
Will make half of that recipe in about 5 minutes!!
Thanks!!

My name is Erika. said...

I love the idea of using ricotta cheese to make the pancakes lower carb. And I bet they taste good too. Have a great Shrove Tuesday. Hugs-Erika

Carla from The River said...

YUM!!! Happy Pancake Day!!!

Deanna said...

I grew up in Liberal, Kansas that has a race with Olney, Buckinghamshire,England on pancake day. It's a celebrated tradition each year. We'll probably have pancakes on Tuesday!

Chatty Crone said...

Ricotti cheese in pancakes - hmmm.

Angie's Recipes said...

We just had some pancakes made with pumpkin seed flour :-) Very yummy!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm a fan of crepes

Lorrie said...

Pancakes were never part of our tradition on this day, but the recipe for your pancakes sounds interesting! I wonder if cottage cheese would work in place of the ricotta cheese.

Margaret D said...

Happy pancake day.

linda said...

Who would have thought, I will have to give them a try, happy pancake day.

Donna said...

Been looking for a good locarb pancake!! Thank you!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Your pancake recipe sounds yummy, thanks for sharing.
Happy Pancake Day! Have a great day!

Hootin Anni said...

They look soooo good!!

R's Rue said...

Yum.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's interesting. I've always loved pancakes and still make them for my hubby. I should try this recipe. I can only use butter for a topping though and I miss the syrup! lol Thanks for sharing!

Inger said...

Yes, Happy Pancakes Day. I don't remember this tradition from my years living in England, but I love it. When I grew up in Sweden, this tradition was observed every Thursday for dinner: Yellow pea soup, followed by what we called oven pancakes. These pancakes were baked in the oven and were thick and very yummy. Of course, we also had the thin pancakes made on top of the stove. I'm no cook and when I tried to make the oven pancakes here, I'm afraid they totally collapsed.

Creations By Cindy said...

I have never heard of Shrove Tuesday. I learn something new every time I visit you. Love it! I saved the recipe. Sounds delicious! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jenn Jilks said...

We used to do Pancake Tuesday. Our kids are!
Poor JB can't eat them. Stir fry tonight!

William Kendall said...

I am sitting down now to a late lunch with pancakes. It's a tradition for my family. This happens to be my first time eating in at a restaurant since Pancake Tuesday in 2020.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Until I read this post, Jan, I had completely forgot about having pancakes on shrove Tuesday. Thanks for both the post and now my dinner plan.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I didn't know the history. I didn't make pancakes but I may well have them another day.

Snowbird said...

What interesting facts! I don't tend to make pancakes, I did when daughter was at home as she loved them.xxx

Lowcarb team member said...

Lorrie said...
Pancakes were never part of our tradition on this day, but the recipe for your pancakes sounds interesting! I wonder if cottage cheese would work in place of the ricotta cheese

Hello Lorrie
Yes, there are quite a few recipes that use cottage cheese when making a lower carb pancake.
Have a look at this one, you may like it.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/cream-cheese-pancakes/

Happy Pancake making :)

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, great idea with the cheese! I might add salami or such, too.

Angie said...

Jan - darn - it's 10:13 pm and too late to make pancakes. Maybe next year! I did have some doughnuts on Sunday - as close as I could get to celebrating Mardi Gras! I had never heard of pancake races, but I just inquired of my Brit hubby and he knew about them - where have I been all this time?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I missed this earlier. Olney England competes with Liberal, Kansas in the States to determine the fastest time in either town. Each year these two town compete to win the "International Pancake Race." Olney took back bragging rights this year after Liberal claimed victory last year (they discontinued the race during the pandemic of 2021). This is the 74th year Liberal has run against Olney.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

An interesting story... They must be very tasty... Happy week...

Sandra Cox said...

I love crepes and thanks for the background on Pancake Day. I had no idea where it came from.
Take special care.

sandy said...

I would love some crepes right now, or pancakes.

Conniecrafter said...

I heard of fat Tuesday but didn't hear that pancakes were made, very interesting!

The Happy Whisk said...

I do enjoy pancakes. Though mine are low sugar, no egg and no a few other things. Very cool that you can make them low-carb to fit your life. That is the best when we can do this for ourselves and families. Happy Belated Pancake Day!