Total Pageviews

Friday 24 February 2023

Peanut Butter Chicken - Low Carb Recipe

Sharing a recipe by Hattie Ellis

If you like Peanut butter you may enjoy this recipe ...
Hattie says peanut butter, the store-cupboard hero, makes a great sauce in this quick Indonesian-style peanut butter chicken. The secret is to get the right balance of sweet, salty, sour and hot. Serve with rice and/or steamed greens. Steamed greens would be the low carbers choice!



Ingredients
Serves Four
1 tbsp olive oil
4 large chicken thighs, skin removed and boneless, each cut into 8 chunks
2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
2 red peppers, cut into long 1cm/½in-wide slices
1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
400ml tin coconut milk
4 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
2 limes, juice only
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish (optional)

Method
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the chicken for 5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so. Turn the heat down to low, add the shallots, red peppers, chilli and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Stir in the coconut milk and peanut butter. Half-fill the coconut milk tin with water and add to the pan. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and cook over a medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked.
3. If you want to thicken the peanut butter sauce, remove the lid and boil to reduce the sauce to a coating consistency. Stir in the lime juice and soy sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary – you may need a touch more soy sauce or a little more lime juice to balance out the sweet-saltiness.
4. Garnish with the chopped coriander, if using, and serve with white rice and/or steamed greens. 
Steamed greens would be the low carbers choice!

Each serving provides 
431 kcal, 27g protein, 10g carbohydrates (of which 8g sugars), 30g fat (of which 18g saturates), 3.5g fibre and 1.4g salt.
From original idea here

Peanut butter is a delicious and popular food.
Studies suggest that peanuts and peanut butter may have benefits for appetite control, body weight, blood sugar and heart health. It’s high in mono-unsaturated fat, including oleic acid, which may be responsible for many of the benefits.
Note, that natural peanut butter contains only peanuts and perhaps salt.
By contrast, reduced-fat peanut butter contains sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.
Bottom Line: Reduced-fat peanut butter contains sugars and processed oils yet provides the same number of calories as natural peanut butter, which is much healthier.

Related Posts
CHICKEN Dishes - Three Popular Low Carb and Keto Suggestions - see here
Chicken - Low Carb and Keto - Three Delicious Recipe Choices* - see here
(*for those who may not like chicken, this post also includes choices for vegetarian and vegan recipes)


~ enjoy your day ~

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Tom said...

...I like peanut butter and I like chicken, but together I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

Looks good and served with cauliflower rice would keep it lower carb.

Tina

Lisabella Russo said...

I love peanut butter! Could be fun to try with faux chicken...

William Kendall said...

I imagine that could get a tad bit spicy.

Christine said...

This sounds so good! Adding peanut butter is new to me.

My name is Erika. said...

I've had something similar that we called bang-bang chicken.I just love peanut butter, so I'm copying this recipe. Happy weekend.

roentare said...

This is great that I always love butter chicken

Susan Kane said...

I always print out your recipes to put in my binder. You are featured a lot!

Susan Kane said...

For some reason, my comments are not being accepted. Dang.

Angie's Recipes said...

Love that creamy nutty sauce!

magiceye said...

Seems delicious!

ashok said...

Tasty too

Jo said...

I love peanut butter but I'm not sure about it in a recipe with chicken. Perhaps, as you say, it's all about getting the right balance of flavours. An interesting recipe for sure.

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy, I LOVE peanut butter! Have a great weekend, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am not sure I would like peanut butter with my chicken.
The bouquet of flowers is lovely.
Have a happy weekend.

Donna said...

Never thought of this combination!
hugs
Donna

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

A lovely bouquet of flowers.
It looks very appetizing. I've never eaten peanut butter. I don't know what it tastes like. I haven't seen it in my country..
Greetings.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yummy! Peanut butter makes a great sauce!

Shari Burke said...

Ooooh! Like satay! Excellent--we LOVE chicken satay--thanks for sharing this. I must get soy sauce :-)

Have a great weekend!

Bill said...

Sounds great!

baili said...

I like peanut butter though can't use it more often because of mouth sensitivity.
I really liked the recipe. Sounds healthy and tasty.

Thanks for sharing dear Jan
Hugs and blessings

Debbie said...

YuM!!! pretty flowers!!!

Giorgio said...

I love recipes with olive oil! Thank you for sharing :-) Have a nice weekend!

Conniecrafter said...

I am not really sure what I think of this combo...

Teresa said...

No conocía esté plato. Besos.